Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your First Event (and was it any good?)

Mine was Batman War Games. Tried re-reading it recently and I lost interest and didn't finish it. To be honest I don't remember much apart from Stephanie Brown being killed by Black Mask. Kind of a dud... what was your first event? Is it a classic? A part of me wishes I got into comics around the time of Knightfall or Death of Superman.

My first company wide event was Infinite Crisis but I didn't know what the hell was going on at the time. Reading it years later I really like the book a lot.

Astonishing Member

Iirc it was millennium

And no it wasn't any good as I think back

Though the coie might have been and that was superb

Would the annual JLA/JSA ream ups count as an event? If so, Justice League of America #123 was the first I read, a comic I got off the stands when I was about 6 years old. If not, then it was Crisis on Infinite Earths, which I only got in on half way through when were were without power for an extended time because of hurricane Gloria and I was making daily trips to 7-11 to pick up perishables and would raid their comics rack every day for more to read buying up a lot of DC as I had been mostly a Marvel kid and was starting to get more into DC at that time (I was in high school at that point). I really liked both stories, but it took me almost 12 years to read the second half of the story in JLA 123 when I picked up 124 as a back issue. I backtracked and got all of Crisis shortly after we got power back and made a trip to a comic shop.

The first big "event" I was hyped up for before it started was the Man of Steel mini and the Legends series which came out around the same time when I finally set up a pull list at the lcs and was all in on DC at that point.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Reign of the Supermen, it's still one of my favorite story.

Battle for the Cowl

I did not like it.

First event I can remember in a series I was reading was, Terminal Velocity in The Flash. I really enjoyed that arc!

First major event from a company was, "Death of Superman" which I thought was rather.......meh.....
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Cosmic Odyssey was the first DC event I ever read . To this day it's my favorite Justice League and New Gods crossover

My first event was the first event comic: Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars in 1984.

Marvel hyped it up like there was no tomorrow even though it was just a glorified toy tie-in. The comics press trashed it, but the fans bought it in droves.

For me, I thought it was lazy and uninspired, and I was a fan of both Jim Shooter and Mike Zeck, but I thought they phoned it in. It changed my perception of Marvel. I had been heavily into Marvel from 1978-1984 even though I was always primarily a DC fan. Secret Wars began the process of my turning away from Marvel.

So, for DC, my first event would be 1985's Crisis on Infinite Earths. What a monumental difference from Secret Wars. This was the way an event comic really should be done. There were real stakes in this story, and it set the stage for the Post-Crisis DCU, which led to a lot of great comics. Yes, it screwed up the Legion, but Legion was still a good read. What really killed the Legion was the 5-Years Later direction, but I digress.

In general, I've found DC's company-wide events from the 80s to be largely superior to Marvel's. Legends and Invasion were great. Millennium was better in concept than in execution, but still good.

Events from the 90s are generally cash grabs from either company.

Batman: No Mans Land, I still hold it and Knightfall as the Best Bat-Events
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I got Infinite Crisis in trade right after it happened. Was slightly confused but I didn't really care and got the plot holes filled in one way or another. I was just enjoying the heartfelt moments, high-stakes, multiverse concepts, and how connected everything felt.

for dc? i think it was underworld unleashed.

i actually loved dc crossovers in the 90s. most of them had a weekly four-issue mini-series, all the books would have a tie-in, and you'd be done with it within 30 days (yeah there were exceptions). if you didn't like it (day of judgement) it was harmlessly over before you knew it. none of this 7-or-8 months nonsense that leave certain books in limbo because editorial mandates changes that can't take place until a crossover wraps up.

Robin War was my first event but Metal was my first big event I experienced while it was ongoing. It was fine, a solid first impression of what crossover events are like. Metal was really good, I loved that it's still rippling through everything right now.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-20-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

For DC my first event was Zero Hour and no it was not good at all but at least Starman launched after it so I guess I have to thank DC for it.

I think my first DC event (if it counts) was Green Lantern Rebirth, I enjoyed it and it is probably one of the reasons that I absolutely love all of the green lanterns.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    My first event was the first event comic: Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars in 1984.

Marvel hyped it up like there was no tomorrow even though it was just a glorified toy tie-in. The comics press trashed it, but the fans bought it in droves.

For me, I thought it was lazy and uninspired, and I was a fan of both Jim Shooter and Mike Zeck, but I thought they phoned it in. It changed my perception of Marvel. I had been heavily into Marvel from 1978-1984 even though I was always primarily a DC fan. Secret Wars began the process of my turning away from Marvel.

So, for DC, my first event would be 1985's Crisis on Infinite Earths. What a monumental difference from Secret Wars. This was the way an event comic really should be done. There were real stakes in this story, and it set the stage for the Post-Crisis DCU, which led to a lot of great comics. Yes, it screwed up the Legion, but Legion was still a good read. What really killed the Legion was the 5-Years Later direction, but I digress.

In general, I've found DC's company-wide events from the 80s to be largely superior to Marvel's. Legends and Invasion were great. Millennium was better in concept than in execution, but still good.

Events from the 90s are generally cash grabs from either company.
    Pretty much agree word for word.

I was jazzed for Secret Wars but, by a couple issues in I was pretty much over it. Like you, that's about when I started dropping off the Marvel bandwagon. IMO, that's when it became the "Marvel Universe" as opposed to the Marvel Comics Group that Stan, Jack, Steve, and the gang created. Not really a fan of the MU but, I still LOVE the MCG.

Crisis was awesome all the way through. It was the first time I ever cried over a comic. I still miss OG Supergirl.
    Batman - Daredevil