Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    and I am totally down for it.
    Eh, I don't know if there's enough stories that are short enough to read and still get enough of them into a film to work. I mean, there's a reason most adaptations usually don't have narrators reading every word from the book out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I don't know if there's enough stories that are short enough to read and still get enough of them into a film to work. I mean, there's a reason most adaptations usually don't have narrators reading every word from the book out loud.
    he read the words because it was a children's program.

he read the words because it was a children's program.
    Yeah, but if you don't have someone read it out loud...isn't it really just another generic horror anthology movie? Nothing really there to make it "Reading Rainbow" except the stories are actual short stories you could go read.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yeah, but if you don't have someone read it out loud...isn't it really just another generic horror anthology movie? Nothing really there to make it "Reading Rainbow" except the stories are actual short stories you could go read.
    It's not about reading out loud. The idea is to encourage reading in general. So this hypothetical horror version would encourage the reading of horror fiction. Don't overthink it.

I get the idea. Mascots go crazy and kill people. It's not a horrible idea.

The question I have is why do you base this on a kid friendly franchise? Why don't you make up your own characters? It's not like having the Bannana Splits as characters is going to help sell this movie to people.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

The question I have is why do you base this on a kid friendly franchise? Why don't you make up your own characters? It's not like having the Bannana Splits as characters is going to help sell this movie to people.
    They couldn't get the rights to adapt Five Nights at Freddie's. That's why they're beating them to the punch with another property they could squeeze into a similar premise.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

The original show was on in the late 60's, so it will be mostly Baby Boomers who remember it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    My 20 year old nephew knows who they are. Cartoon network aired them in the 90s and early 2000s and boomerang aired them for years after that. Did you know sid and marty koft (who did hr pufinstuf and dynagirl) did the outfits?

As for the splits I liked the spinoff the skatebirds more as it had the three stooges and new episodes of clue club in it!

Unless I am remembering it all wrong, they designed the sets along with the costumes.

As for the OG show, it's largely a cartoon vehicle in my memory.

Seems like they showed Adam Ant and Secret Squirrel pretty often.

As for the film, it feels a lot like the second season of Happy!. Though it's hard to tell just how much of that is what I see versus what they are actually doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

What occurred to me about this...

The Splits of this film seem kinda reserved compared to the Splits back in the day. Nowhere near as, "We just dropped Pop Rocks in our Jolt Cola!"

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

People who remember the Banana Splits won't want to see them like this, and people who don't remember the Banana Splits won't be interested in them.

I don't understand the thinking in the entertainment industry these days. It's like the Demon Lord of Franchise Whoring is standing over them with a whip, screaming "There are three people in Iowa who remember that fondly! Option it! Option it!"

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Tra La La Tra Le La La ....... quietly sobbing in the corner.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    People who remember the Banana Splits won't want to see them like this, and people who don't remember the Banana Splits won't be interested in them.

I don't understand the thinking in the entertainment industry these days. It's like the Demon Lord of Franchise Whoring is standing over them with a whip, screaming "There are three people in Iowa who remember that fondly! Option it! Option it!"
    That is because you got folks who don't want to PAY creators of new stuff-so you go with what you have rights to.

Look at the Hasbro Universe-GI Joe & Transformers were in the same universe to begin with. They threw in MASK, Action Man, ROM, Visionaries & Micronaughts. I guess you could toss in EXO Squad since some of those toys were from MASK (I think).

Heck look at Robotech that was 3 different shows merged into one. Southern Cross did not take place on Earth and they were all French.

I don't know if there's enough stories that are short enough to read and still get enough of them into a film to work.
    Actually there is a lot of stories you could use for that to work. I remember a book series in the 7th grade that was all kid level horror stories. One had a story about scouts and their scout leader-who was a werewolf and ate all 4 of them.

And there is NO rule to say you can condense stories that you own the rights to. Night Gallery did that for some spinoff they had in order to include it in the syndication package. MST3K did it as well.

Finally the Sour Grapes Bunch will get what's coming to them!

In all seriousness though, I hope HB knows that the franchise won't be able to backpedal away from this. You can't go back to kid friendly cartoon characters/ mascots after turning them into mass murdering horror monsters.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member

and I am totally down for it.
    I mean, just remake Are You Afraid Of The Dark? at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Finally the Sour Grapes Bunch will get what's coming to them!

In all seriousness though, I hope HB knows that the franchise won't be able to backpedal away from this. You can't go back to kid friendly cartoon characters/ mascots after turning them into mass murdering horror monsters.
    I think you can if no one buys these DTV's .