Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Five nights at Banana splits! Banana splits are now kid killers!

https://tvline.com/2019/02/19/the-ba...-horror-movie/

So they kill the dc comics hanna Barbara line due to they are upset over the adult aimed versions of them but then they put Harvey birdman who has them doing adult things back on in a new show and now they are making the banana splits kid killers in what is clearly a five nights at freddys rip-off.

What's wrong with the ones in charge of hanna Barbara right now at wb?

Astonishing Member

Well, from reading the description, it doesn't necessarily say the Banana Splits themselves are the killers. In fact, it refers to the main character's "new pals", which may be the Banana Splits themselves. Though I understand why you might still be concerned.

It's possible that, like many people, the HB people assumed that something published in comic books would automatically be for kids. A bit strange considering how all these comic inspired movies coming out are PG-13. But, still, there was that miscommunication. Honestly, if they wanted comics for kids, they would have been better off getting graphic novels published through Scholastic or some other mainstream book publisher. They're more likely to reach kids. The highest selling comic artist in the U.S. right now is Raina Telgemaier (sp?) and she draws stuff like the Babysitters Club GN adaptations.

It is strange. Why a five nights movie? They pulled the comics due to it's adult treatment of the cartoons but then bring back Harvey birdman, still have robot chicken that's far worse to these cartoons and makes a horror movie with people getting killed? It makes no sense. What are you doing WB?

Trailer. So how was that killing all the dc hanna barbera comics for being to adult and harming the brand wb?

Well, from reading the description, it doesn't necessarily say the Banana Splits themselves are the killers
    They kill tons in that trailer.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Why do people keep their jobs after coming up with ideas like this?

Seriously... it's like every bad idea in Hollywood gets you a promotion and more cocaine.

Uh.. This is for real? Not just a Funny or Die Skit? Who greenlit this? LOL, good lord..

I don't know-- I think the folks who are triggered the most will be Gen X folks who have fond memories of the original show.

I guess Millennials who started having more irreverent takes on this stuff and laughing at the cliches, maybe this is their idea. Kind of like how the Brady Bunch movie and the Starsky and Hutch movie were turned into wink and nod parodies of the original shows.

At least it's not being released theatrically, right? Or maybe it will be, in certain cities.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The original show was on in the late 60's, so it will be mostly Baby Boomers who remember it. I'm an older Gen X (1966) and I barely remember it first hand, from reruns.

I don't know what the deal is with this century, taking everything cute and innocent from the past and making it horrible and grim. I guess Strawberry Shortcake will get gang-raped next.

Looks fine to me I don't see what the big deal is....

The original show was on in the late 60's, so it will be mostly Baby Boomers who remember it.
    My 20 year old nephew knows who they are. Cartoon network aired them in the 90s and early 2000s and boomerang aired them for years after that. Did you know sid and marty koft (who did hr pufinstuf and dynagirl) did the outfits?

As for the splits I liked the spinoff the skatebirds more as it had the three stooges and new episodes of clue club in it!

seems like something that was bound to happen. i submitted a similar idea to an online contest in 2001 (but i went with a generic restaraunt animatronic troupe). because mascots and any other large costume wearing entity geared towards kids can be unintentionally scary. HR Puffenstuff was nightmare fuel to me as a youth. i'm not as much a fan of the 5 Nights at Freddy's because they were designed to intentionally be scary. and, ironically, i find that less scary. there's something very commercial about it.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 06-14-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I'm surprised that they went through with this seeing that the Five Nights at Freddie's fad died before the film was even announced. Plenty of time to shelve it, but I guess they wanted to take a gamble in the hopes that the kids who dropped FNaF will watch a Banana Slpits movie.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 06-14-2019 at 06:40 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I'm surprised that they went through with this seeing that the Five Nights at Freddie's fad died before the film was even announced. Plenty of time to shelve it, but I guess they wanted to take a gamble in the hopes that the kids who dropped FNaF will watch a Banana Slpits movie.
    Eh, it's cheap enough and looks to be a DTV anyways, so they probably figured it'd do well enough regardless of whether the FNaF fad is still going or not. It's a cheap horror flick, the most expensive thing about it is probably the mascot costumes and little cars. Even if FNaF wasn't a thing this'd probably still be safe bet.

Still think taking an old children's show and making it into a horror movie is in pretty horrid taste though. For me it'd be like if they made Eureka's Castle into a horror film, I'd be pretty pissed. Just feels like they should have made an original property for this idea instead of using an existing IP that many people remember fondly from their childhoods. Even if it wasn't a part of my childhood, it still seems wrong.

(All that said I might still watch it if the DVDs cheap enough and I'm bored. But still...)

i hope that they make every children's show from my childhood into a horror movie. hell, throw in a horror Reading Rainbow. it's not like they are forcing anyone to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    hell, throw in a horror Reading Rainbow.
    Wouldn't that just be a movie where you have short horror stories read to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Wouldn't that just be a movie where you have short horror stories read to you?
    and I am totally down for it.