Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    So, a question. I am assuming that the Marvel Treasury Editions don't count?
    Well, the OP said:
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Thanks everyone! Ok, I thought it might be fun to revisit the fringes of the Bronze Age Marvel. For people who don't remember, before the direct market completely took over, Marvel used to publish magazine sized comics for the newsstands, drug stores etc that were not code approved. Some were clear imitations of Mad Magazine, Heavy Metal, and the Warren Horror mags..others featured their company owned characters. One seemed to be them trying to do Tiger Beat with superheroes! So anything from Savage Tales to Pizzazz is far game!

I don't know if these would really count since weren't the stories inside usually "code approved" when they were first issued?
    (I guess you'd have to ask ed2962 to be sure.)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I would assume they were code approved since some started out as original stories, like the Spider-Man / Superman one. I think the later ones had reprints. I have another large format one that came out a bit later, with the Fantastic Four and Superman. But I assume that I can't use either.

Invincible Member

If it's up to me, I'd say Treasury Editions don't count. The format is too different ( I think the publishers considered them "tabloids). But it'd be a great idea for a future thread!

If it helps, I think the two issue magazine sized Spiderman counts, as does "Rampaging Hulk" ( later re-named "Hulk").

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    If it's up to me, I'd say Treasury Editions don't count. The format is too different ( I think the publishers considered them "tabloids). But it'd be a great idea for a future thread!

If it helps, I think the two issue magazine sized Spiderman counts, as does "Rampaging Hulk" ( later re-named "Hulk").
    My take has been the original poster has say in what fits and what doesn't. it's messy as the variety of strict adherence to theme differs for many of us. I freely admit I ma far to the "what the hell, use it" side. Others enjoy keeping a tighter reign on entries.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Does this count? There have been a number of entries so far that were published under the Curtis label but that had "Marvel" on the cover. This b/w comics series from Curtis didn't have "Marvel" on it (but all Curtis titles were published by Marvel's parent corporation).
    They were all published by Marvel. Curtis was the distributor. The people in charge went back and forth about whether the Marvel name on the cover would help or hurt sales, so it came and went, but the distributor's logo was always there.

At first they used the big white 'C' with 'Curtis' inside, on a black or red background. Later they switched to the more discreet "three Cs" logo, the same one used on Marvel comic books:

The three Cs stood for Curtis Circulation Company.

Nobody involved in publishing these magazines ever intended for them to be called "Curtis magazines". It's just that when they were avoiding the "Marvel" name, they didn't replace it with another one, so the distributor's logo was the only one on the cover.

All newsstand publications had a distributor logo, usually small and unobtrusive. DCs, and Marvel until 1968, had "IND." for Independent News; Warren mags had "PDC" for Publishers Distributing Corp., and Skywald had a "K" on a shield for Kable News.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Is that your entry Lord Mikel? If so, Guicho already used it back on page 1.

-M
    Thank you, I did miss that, I removed and will post something else later.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

@Lordmikel: I'd read the heck out of that. Seriously considering tracking down some of these entries for my own collection.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Invincible Member

There's a kinda famous Deadly Hands cover that I'm surprised no one has used yet...

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    @Lordmikel: I'd read the heck out of that. Seriously considering tracking down some of these entries for my own collection.
    I bring that book up when it comes to Misty Knight's sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I bring that book up when it comes to Misty Knight's sexuality.

*Raises left eyebrow*

Do go on......

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    *Raises left eyebrow*

Do go on......
    I used to have that issue. It's another one of Claremont's "Bi-curious" if you read between the lines it's there, but you want to take as just friendship that works too.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Savage Tales #1 was the first, but it wasn't successful. It was another couple of years before this magazine inaugurated Marvel's black-and-white magazine line:

Looks like someone saw David Niven in Old Dracula based on that cover.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?