View Poll Results: Is it more likely that Jon will stay aged up or become younger again?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I predict that Jon will stay this way

20 45.45%
  • I predict that Jon will revert back to his Rebirth age

24 54.55%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I meant that fans don't have an attachment to the previous lost years because he wasn't that way for much time. Basically what you had just said previously.

As for Superman, no I don't think Bendis should create an 80 year old Superman. But I'm not really following where that came from anyway. I'm not saying that the fact Jon has already undergone one major time skip it means he should have undergone another. I'm not saying it should mean anything one way or another. I just pointed out its happened twice now, that's all.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think Jon was actually 8 in Lois & Clark then bumped up to 10 for Rebirth. So this might even be his third.

I don’t see it as a serious issue. Or why that initial 10 year jump would invalidate fan attachment. No one complains we only see bits and pieces of every other characters development and just get dropped into their story. Or that in most family dramas not specifically about raising a baby we pick up with families mid stream. It’s actually the common practice. The first jump probably accelerated attachment to the character.

But here, that loss is actually the point of Bendis’ story. It’s going to be addressed and dealt with by the characters. We’re feeling the same thing Clark and Lois are. If you’re nonplused by it you’re kinda missing the point I think.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I meant that fans don't have an attachment to the previous lost years because he wasn't that way for much time. Basically what you had just said previously.

As for Superman, no I don't think Bendis should create an 80 year old Superman. But I'm not really following where that came from anyway. I'm not saying that the fact Jon has already undergone one major time skip it means he should have undergone another. I'm not saying it should mean anything one way or another. I just pointed out its happened twice now, that's all.
    That was just a joke. I just remembered an episode of powerpuff girls. there were these 80 year old superheroes,returning to fight crime again.it was hilarious and kind of sad.

Ahh, gotcha. Though I do think an 80 year old Superman would be pretty fit. In my head I don't even know if he'd have much gray yet.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think Jon was actually 8 in Lois & Clark then bumped up to 10 for Rebirth. So this might even be his third.

I don’t see it as a serious issue. Or why that initial 10 year jump would invalidate fan attachment. No one complains we only see bits and pieces of every other characters development and just get dropped into their story. Or that in most family dramas not specifically about raising a baby we pick up with families mid stream. It’s actually the common practice. The first jump probably accelerated attachment to the character.

But here, that loss is actually the point of Bendis’ story. It’s going to be addressed and dealt with by the characters. We’re feeling the same thing Clark and Lois are. If you’re nonplused by it you’re kinda missing the point I think.
    That precisely the problem for people who like jon. This is not done for jon's sake. It is done for Clark and Lois's sake.Even then it just shows them in a poor light and with out much emotional payoffs. All i got was some punching. That is not good enough for me.

Bendis isn't doing something that can be termed awesome with the character jon. He is playing it safe. If you are going for a reinvention of the character. atleast do it in a way that is cool. Make it so that character's popularity increases.Atleast Chris as nightwing had something of value. Not that kid jon needed one. He was not at that stage as a character, to warrant one.

These are just my problems with it.
    A) This is just a plot device to shift status quo.
    B) A plot device designed to get a reaction like turning captain america into a Nazi.
    C) A plot device that doesn't mean anything ultimately (playing it safe thing i mentioned) and may even jeopardise a character's staying power.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That precisely the problem for people who like jon. This is not done for jon's sake. It is done for Clark and Lois's sake.Even then it just shows them in a poor light and with out much emotional payoffs. All i got was some punching. That is not good enough for me.

Bendis isn't doing something that can be termed awesome with the character jon. He is playing it safe. If you are going for a reinvention of the character. atleast do it in a way that is cool. Make it so that character's popularity increases.Atleast Chris as nightwing had something of value. Not that kid jon needed one. He was not at that stage as a character, to warrant one.

These are just my problems with it.
    A) This is just a plot device to shift status quo.
    B) A plot device designed to get a reaction like turning captain america into a Nazi.
    C) A plot device that doesn't mean anything ultimately (playing it safe thing i mentioned) and may even jeopardise a character's staying power.
    I think the reaction of Lois & Clark is a big part of the story, but I didn't mean Jon was just a plot device or that he was only being used as one. I don't believe that is the case. I think Bendis fully intends to show how this has impacted and affected Jon within this story as much as it will be used to affect and change Lois & Clark's status quo. He's said as much, and reinforced that with his comments on the relationships with Conner and Damian, etc.

The rest we can't gauge now because this just happened. We're two issues in. I think we're seeing plenty of emotional reactions from Clark and Lois so far and Jon's dealing with things well because he's had time to adjust. I expect we'll see a lot more in the next arc because that is where the fallout of this will take place. Bendis confirmed that as well in that Den of Geek interview. Jon's getting them up to speed and they have to go deal with Jor El and Rogal Zaar. Next arc is when the fallout to all this will be dealt with.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-21-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Ahh, gotcha. Though I do think an 80 year old Superman would be pretty fit. In my head I don't even know if he'd have much gray yet.
    Earth Two Superman says hi.

Different writers have different interpretations on how each version ages. Guys like Earth-Two Superman obviously aged in a more normal fashion. KC Superman went gray at the temples, but still aged very slowly comparatively. Action #1000 had a Superman who looked exactly the same after millions of years. So it all depends. In my head, my ideal Superman doesn't visibly show signs of elderly aging for hundreds of years.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-21-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

Jon will get de aged eventually.Either Bendis will do it or one of the writers after him will.

Astonishing Member

Different writers have different interpretations on how each version ages. Guys like Earth-Two Superman obviously aged in a more normal fashion. KC Superman went gray at the temples, but still aged very slowly comparatively. Action #1000 had a Superman who looked exactly the same after millions of years. So it all depends. In my head, my ideal Superman doesn't visibly show signs of elderly aging for hundreds of years.
    I still haven't decided whether I like a Superman that doesn't age/ages excruciatingly slowly.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I think Jon will eventually have his age reduced but he’ll be turned into a 11-13 year old instead of back to 10.

I think he will stay aged up. Bendis has an influence on the comic industry and the companies he works for and I think DC will want to keep the changes Bendis makes to the DC universe. And by the time he does not have any more influence, I think we will be at the point where everyone will be used to him being aged up.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

He'll probably stay aged up. I don't see them doing all this just to turn around and redo it. I'm fine with it personally. In the beginning I didn't love the idea of super dad with a small kid anyway, so a little bit older Jon will probably work better for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    He'll probably stay aged up. I don't see them doing all this just to turn around and redo it.
    They did with Chris Kent. They did it with 05 X-Men. Nothing like this sticks. If fans demand it, it will be eventually undone.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    They did with Chris Kent. They did it with 05 X-Men. Nothing like this sticks. If fans demand it, it will be eventually undone.
    Oh yeah anything can be undone, we’ve all seen it many times. Idk, this just feels like Bendis is in this for the long haul. Of course after him it can change back in a second, or he can change it. I’ve never read Bendis before any Superman stuff but apparently he’s known for these type of things so I’m probably wrong.

As long as it reads good and fits together, I’m pretty open to however it all unfolds.