View Poll Results: Is it more likely that Jon will stay aged up or become younger again?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I predict that Jon will stay this way

20 45.45%
  • I predict that Jon will revert back to his Rebirth age

24 54.55%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Speculate: Will Jon Stay Aged Up?

Predict whether or not the recently aged up Jon Kent will eventually revert to the age he was during Tomasi's run or will he stay in the form he is now in Bendis's Superman.

During his AMA session Bendis was asked numerous times by redditors whether or not this status quo shift in Jon's character is permanent. He chose not to answer

I hope not.

BANNED

He's reversed big status quo changes in his runs before

Hell, people conveniently forget this because it's a big part of Miles Morales' origin, but he did resurrect Ultimate Peter Parker after killing him off.

I wish he would be, but with Bendis in charge, I don't see it happening.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think it will revert. Like most things in comics,usually does.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say he stays this way. I used to be on the other side, but I've changed my mind. Because Bendis isn't leaving anytime soon, and Jon's story isn't going to be over any time soon. By the time Bendis is done, it could quite easily be that Jon will have been 17 longer than he was 10. By that point, I don't know if anyone will have much incentive to deage him anymore as the character will have been through a lot by then and the longer it lasts the harder you'd be willing to throw developments away with a time reversal.

IOW, the longer he's at this state, the less likely it becomes he's changed back.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-20-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If I had to guess right now, I'd say he stays this way. I used to be on the other side, but I've changed my mind. Because Bendis isn't leaving anytime soon, and Jon's story isn't going to be over any time soon. By the time Bendis is done, it could quite easily be that Jon will have been 17 longer than he was 10. By that point, I don't know if anyone will have much incentive to deage him anymore as the character will have been through a lot by then and the longer it lasts the harder you'd be willing to throw developments away with a time reversal.

IOW, the longer he's at this state, the less likely it becomes he's changed back.
    I agree with Sacred here.

At or near the end of Bendis’ run maybe. For all his criticism Bendis has put the toys back together before leaving. He did this with Iron Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, and to a certain extent the Avengers. And if all this truly wasn’t via editorial fiat, and is his story, I think there is a far better chance. Especially if the reception sours or there’s more criticism to this and any other status quo changes he piles on. I think the fallout to the age up and the other changes it may require could build to have a bigger impact and possibly turn off more and more people as they pile up.

I would have said none but his statements yesterday about the direction being his choice and the way he did not say if it was permanent gave more wiggle room than I was expecting.

BANNED

The 05 stuck around in the present for a long time, even after Bendis left, but that was eventually reversed as well. Marvel also found a way of merging their experiences in the present with their adult versions so nothing of value was lost.

Chris Kent was aged up, then went back to being a kid also.

6CE40429-9312-4F9D-929A-7555B4908788.jpg
    Who knows? But remember there was a time where this weird mess was supposed to be the dcu’s permanent canon Superboy? Fan response to this has been about the same as new 52 Lobo. Who was also intended as a permanent change.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

You are forgetting one thing, to the equation . People will have to like the older version. And his fanbase has to stay strong and grow.So, far Bendis is playing by the middle road too much. He aged him a lot ,but just short of 18.his artist draws him older but with boyish face and less height(with out any cute factor like the old one had). I was taller than my Father by inches, when i was 17. He supposed to be a space warrior, but is nowhere close to being a badass.in fact,Bendis kept the old kid personality and pasted it on top of the older version(Jon wasn't what you call a cool, calm, badass kid). It feels like weird combination . On top of that, added "pa" kent thing which was Clark kent farmboy thing. Some say he is now meant to be hot. I don't see it. Him being hot wouldn't help with male fans. His costume is basically something from the New52, which can be a good thing and a bad thing.Him being Teen makes him a dime in a dozen. Since, i feel like there are more teen heroes than fully matured adult heroes now.Kids are basically nonexistent. So kid jon didn't have much competition .
    Bendis has to do something cool with older version, so that he can get over with the fanbase. So, far he hasn't done anything special . He can't just write him like Jurgens or Tomasi did with an older version. Because he is not the same anymore

Unhappy

I hope not (I want hin back as a kid ASAP) but I fear he will
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-20-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You are forgetting one thing, to the equation . People will have to like the older version. And his fanbase has to stay strong and grow.So, far Bendis is playing by the middle road too much. He aged him a lot ,but just short of 18.his artist draws him older but with boyish face and less height(with out any cute factor like the old one had). I was taller than my Father by inches, when i was 17. He supposed to be a space warrior, but is nowhere close to being a badass.in fact,Bendis kept the old kid personality and pasted it on top of the older version(Jon wasn't what you call a cool, calm, badass kid). It feels like weird combination . On top of that, added "pa" kent thing which was Clark kent farmboy thing. Some say he is now meant to be hot. I don't see it. Him being hot wouldn't help with male fans. His costume is basically something from the New52, which can be a good thing and a bad thing.Him being Teen makes him a dime in a dozen. Since, i feel like there are more teen heroes than fully matured adult heroes now.Kids are basically nonexistent. So kid jon didn't have much competition .
    Bendis has to do something cool with older version, so that he can get over with the fanbase. So, far he hasn't done anything special . He can't just write him like Jurgens or Tomasi did with an older version. Because he is not the same anymore
    Thing is I'm not banking on it having much effect one way or another on Superman's sales. And since that's the title(s) this will be taking place in, I'm not anticipating them to have any tangible data to look at and say looks like we have to change course. Even if it turns out the majority dislike the change for him, I don't see it being reflected in a mean that DC would notice.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-20-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Bendis has characterized the central theme of Superman as a story of fathers and sons. So to that extent Jon's age up and it's impact on Superman are the central narrative throughline for the book. If enough people are pissed off at Jon's change and with it and him being the central narrative drive for this run, they could see that in sales.

Its not impossible, I'm just not convinced it will be much of a factor hence that's where I'm coming from right now. In my experience, in Superman's books sales Its basically all guesswork at this point, but I was just explaining what that guessing is on my part that is leading to the larger guess which is how long will this last.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The 05 stuck around in the present for a long time, even after Bendis left, but that was eventually reversed as well. Marvel also found a way of merging their experiences in the present with their adult versions so nothing of value was lost.

Chris Kent was aged up, then went back to being a kid also.
    The experiences could be merged, but I've already seen some people express a displeasure to the idea of doing it that way as he'd basically be a 17 year old in a 10 year old's body. And I would concur that'd be really weird. It worked with the 05 because they were merging teen experiences upward to their adult selves. This idea replicated here would be merging teen experiences downward to a child self. Kind of a different, odd result. Not impossible to do, of course, but weird.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-20-2019 at 12:42 PM.