Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Im trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. He believe some can manipulate an energy field but doesn’t believe it controls fate or binds the galaxy together. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-Synthetic tibanna gas

-Synthetic coaxium (hyperfuel)

-A singularity Weapon

- Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

- A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

I’m trying to look for something that was never researched until the era of the New Republic like kyber crystals weren’t until the Empire used them for a superlaser and even then, they had been used in weapons formation in the past. I’m looking for something that presumably hasn’t been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done.

Empty is thy hand!

More effective personal shields?
    Faster healing bacta?
    The cure for space AIDS?

Is this a character that the reader should like or dislike? That should inform the kind of projects he would be working on.

He could work on unveiling the mystery of what the hell is the point to give droids complex personalities.

Do they truly need for their astromech droids to be sassy?

iMan 42s

What is physically happening during Dark-side corruption because while that is apart of the force, nobody to my knowledge has ever tackled what's happening here. Why it can be spread (The son biting Ahsoka), and why eventually users in the old continuity ended up becoming deformed.

The physical science behind it would be interesting to consider especially seeing as we have no idea if this corruption can or can't be spread to non-force users. In the old continuity Grevious had a blood transfusion from a Jedi if I'm not mistaken to help partially explain his skills so it's a wonder if this legends trait might apply to him as well.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

is this the stype of scientist that would rather make brand new discovers about the universe, build weapons, work in the medical field, or what?

Space STIs.

It's an epidemic.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    is this the stype of scientist that would rather make brand new discovers about the universe, build weapons, work in the medical field, or what?
    m

Brand new discoveries about the universe or weapons or anything. Not leaning towards medical since bacta apparently solves everything.

All-New Member

So, all good ideas are already taken. Well, maybe finding parallel universes is cool idea.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steamroller View Post
    So, all good ideas are already taken. Well, maybe finding parallel universes is cool idea.
    I was down to 3 ideas. A Guided recirprocating deflector shield from someone on abovetopsecret forums, Synthetic coaxium from FFG forums and The Dynamics of an Asteroid Field on Sjgames. I decided against the shield because it was too wordy and could be a game changer. The coaxium I felt ruined the rarity of hyperfuel and the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
    I was down to 3 ideas. A Guided recirprocating deflector shield from someone on abovetopsecret forums, Synthetic coaxium from FFG forums and The Dynamics of an Asteroid Field on Sjgames. I decided against the shield because it was too wordy and could be a game changer. The coaxium I felt ruined the rarity of hyperfuel and the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.
    But, what if they are researching ways to quickly map an asteroid belt. That kind of information would be invaluable. Smugglers could no longer hide in asteroid belts. Imagine full squadrons of ships coming out of an asteroid belt to attack from a direction not thought of. The possibilities for use are actually quite numerous.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    But, what if they are researching ways to quickly map an asteroid belt. That kind of information would be invaluable. Smugglers could no longer hide in asteroid belts. Imagine full squadrons of ships coming out of an asteroid belt to attack from a direction not thought of. The possibilities for use are actually quite numerous.
    I found an idea in archeology. Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
    I found an idea in archeology. Thanks for all your help guys!!!
    SW archaeologist: unearths ancient artifact.

Enter Han Solo: "...that belongs in a museum"

Wait something is wrong here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamroller View Post
    Well, maybe finding parallel universes is cool idea.
    See what you caused.
    \
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-27-2019 at 08:12 AM.

All-New Member

Okay so my archeology idea didn’t work. My scientist is called upon by the New Republic to investigate why the supermassive black hole is more active than usual and sucking in things from a further range. I just need something for the scientist to be studying before he is called away. It has to sound fresh and cool.

All-New Member

This time I found an idea. For real this time. Thanks for all your help!!!

All-New Member

I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next.