Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Lol My exact reaction. Literaly said that out loud.
    LOL I knew I wouldn't be the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Does Ben Affleck count? I mean he did win for Good Will Hunting but as a writer.
    Even if the writer oscar counted, Dardevil wasnt well received iirc ans bvs and Justice League were received better but still very much decisive

Okay, listen up.

1. If you feel a post is out of line, use the report feature located in the bottom left corner of every post.

2. Do NOT just re-post the rules and complain about how they aren't being enforced. Staff may not have seen a post, so reporting brings it to their attention.

3. Knock it off with the racist trolling. This is my first and last warning on that issue. Next one earns a ban.

4. Stick to the topic - this isn't about how women fare in movies or about racial issues. This is a simple question regarding Oscar winners in lead roles for superheroes.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Okay, listen up.

1. If you feel a post is out of line, use the report feature located in the bottom left corner of every post.

2. Do NOT just re-post the rules and complain about how they aren't being enforced. Staff may not have seen a post, so reporting brings it to their attention.

3. Knock it off with the racist trolling. This is my first and last warning on that issue. Next one earns a ban.

4. Stick to the topic - this isn't about how women fare in movies or about racial issues. This is a simple question regarding Oscar winners in lead roles for superheroes.
    Your 2,000th post. Congrats! Shame it had to be that, though.

has the movie dropped yet? how do we know it is well received?
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Doesn't seem too popular with the potential audience. The want to see score on Rotten Tomatoes is down to 33%.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

Invincible Member

The release date is March 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Doesn't seem too popular with the potential audience. The want to see score on Rotten Tomatoes is down to 33%.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel
    That was the result of a targeted attack on the Rotten Tomatoes score.

I think the movie will be entertaining or at least up to marvel's averages which a majority of people seem to enjoy.

The marketing fr the film seems to be getting attacked by pockets of the internet the same way the new Ghostbusters movie did or Oceans 8 did. I don't think this will effect the box office, but its annoying when I go on youtube and I get some Captan Marvel rant in my que. I don't know how well Marvel expects this movie to perform but I imagine it will clear $700 million easy. Not sure if it will get close to $1 billion tho. I don't really understand the some of the negativity towards this film but I'm guessing its a small number of the total audience, still I think that will hold the film back from reaching $1 billion (unless it pulls an Aquaman and China falls in love with Brie Larson
    The J-man

I think the movie will be entertaining or at least up to marvel's averages which a majority of people seem to enjoy.

The marketing fr the film seems to be getting attacked by pockets of the internet the same way the new Ghostbusters movie did or Oceans 8 did. I don't think this will effect the box office, but its annoying when I go on youtube and I get some Captan Marvel rant in my que. I don't know how well Marvel expects this movie to perform but I imagine it will clear $700 million easy. Not sure if it will get close to $1 billion tho. I don't really understand the some of the negativity towards this film but I'm guessing its a small number of the total audience, still I think that will hold the film back from reaching $1 billion (unless it pulls an Aquaman and China falls in love with Brie Larson
    Do female lead stuff do well in China. Cause we know what happened with Black Panther. Disney tried to hide Bosemans face in the promotional material.

Do female lead stuff do well in China. Cause we know what happened with Black Panther. Disney tried to hide Bosemans face in the promotional material.
    honestly I don't know. Aquaman is kind of the shocking positive example by a big margin.

I think ScarJo did well in China with Lucy
    The J-man

honestly I don't know. Aquaman is kind of the shocking positive example by a big margin.

I think ScarJo did well in China with Lucy
    Ok well Mamoa is Half Polynesian which though I hate when people call us Asian they arent wrong. I just feel like we have evolved past the point where you can say us(Samoan) and someone from Malayasia are the same thing. But yea I think Mamoa is Asian adjacent plus China loves spectacle and Aquaman is one hell of a good time.

Honestly I don't think China gonna have a problem with a female lead but I feel like the trolls might have better luck turning people off to the movie in China then here. Black Panther it didnt work at all the same thing happening now happened with Black Panther, ranked the audience score before the movie ever came out and then the movie was a Phenomenon. And if one more person says it was a staged ohenmoneom ima lose my faith in humanity. If Disney or any company could fake the kinda cultural impact Black Panther had then it would happen all the time not once in a blue moon.

Anyway back on topic mostly the high caliber actors are cast In supporting roles in big comicbook mvoies. Robert downey Jr almsot won one long before he was Ironman then won one for supporting actor while he was Ironman. So him and Bale are probaly the best thing
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-24-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Even if the writer oscar counted, Dardevil wasnt well received iirc ans bvs and Justice League were received better but still very much decisive
    I mean that's part of the problem with this thread. Captain Marvel could be divisive.

Either way I think the actual point of the thread is rather arbitrary and there is quite a bit of gatekeeping. Jack Nicholson being the biggest example. He absolultely was billed as the lead in Batman 1989 and got a tremendous amount of focus in the movie. The fact that he was the antagonist doesn't detract from that. And he was a two time Oscar winner before that.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I mean that's part of the problem with this thread. Captain Marvel could be divisive.

Either way I think the actual point of the thread is rather arbitrary and there is quite a bit of gatekeeping. Jack Nicholson being the biggest example. He absolultely was billed as the lead in Batman 1989 and got a tremendous amount of focus in the movie. The fact that he was the antagonist doesn't detract from that. And he was a two time Oscar winner before that.
    Early reviews suggest it wont and MCU track record suggests it wont. But yes possible.

Maybe he should have stated actor playing the actual superhero not a leading role. Pretty sure that's what he meant anyway

Ultimate Member

Depends on the film.

Frozen KILLED in Japan & China.
    Ghost in the Shell
    Moana
    Alien vs Predator where you had a female lead make it to the end did not show in China
    Catwoman had Japan as it's 3rd highest foreign box office

It's sort of hard to find a film because most of the ones I am thinking of did not show in China. However most did decent in other countries including Japan.