Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Depends on the film.

Frozen KILLED in Japan & China.
    Ghost in the Shell
    Moana
    Alien vs Predator where you had a female lead make it to the end did not show in China
    Catwoman had Japan as it's 3rd highest foreign box office

It's sort of hard to find a film because most of the ones I am thinking of did not show in China. However most did decent in other countries including Japan.
    Yea I don't think it will be as much of an issue as BP was but I think even BP with all the issue made around 100m in China right? Not great when you make as much as it did here but that's not bad either. Anyway mod said to stop talking about Race and sex issues on this thread. So if I dont respond to another post on the subject I'm not being rude I just dont want to get in trouble.

Anyway some should chance to topic of the thread to oscar winner playing titular superhero. Instead of just leading role. If Nicholsons Joker isnt allowed . Mahershala Ali also had a **** ton of screen time in Luke Cage before... spoilers he didnt lol. But honestly I think Nicholsons the only one who would truly fit the category as is so why not include him and keep moving.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea I don't think it will be as much of an issue as BP was but I think even BP with all the issue made around 100m in China right? Not great when you make as much as it did here but that's not bad either. Anyway mod said to stop talking about Race and sex issues on this thread. So if I dont respond to another post on the subject I'm not being rude I just dont want to get in trouble.

Anyway some should chance to topic of the thread to oscar winner playing titular superhero. Instead of just leading role. If Nicholsons Joker isnt allowed . Mahershala Ali also had a **** ton of screen time in Luke Cage before... spoilers he didnt lol. But honestly I think Nicholsons the only one who would truly fit the category as is so why not include him and keep moving.
    Sorry about that.

I was NOT trying to bash anyone.

Overseas will be a battle for most folks Oscar or not. It depends on the country in question and if the film is even showing there.

To answer the question-she is the FIRST in terms of solo hero movie. I would say Anna P was the first in terms of team hero movie.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I mean that's part of the problem with this thread. Captain Marvel could be divisive.

Either way I think the actual point of the thread is rather arbitrary and there is quite a bit of gatekeeping. Jack Nicholson being the biggest example. He absolultely was billed as the lead in Batman 1989 and got a tremendous amount of focus in the movie. The fact that he was the antagonist doesn't detract from that. And he was a two time Oscar winner before that.
    I honestly don't think Captain Marvel is or will be divisive. This seems to be a relatively minor net phenomenon based on largely erroneous information.

As to the question of someone being the lead in a superhero movie who has already won the Oscar, yes, it depends on how you define "lead". I realize most people mean the main superhero of the movie but "lead" can as easily mean the person who gets top billing. By that definition, the first lead actor (billed first) in a superhero movie to have previously won an Oscar is Marlon Brando. Jack Nicholson was also billed first in the 1989 Batman. And yes, in spite of how bad it was and how disliked and that it's not really the same character as the comics character, Halle Berry as Catwoman, the title character and after winning the Oscar.

Edit: Oh, you said "well-received". Didn't catch that part.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Does Ben Affleck count? I mean he did win for Good Will Hunting but as a writer.
    Damnit I came here to post that haha

Might not be a well received movie but we're all forgetting about ol' Nic Cage. Won in 1995 for Leaving Las Vegas, starred as Ghost Rider in 2007.

Also, cant forget Michael Douglas won for Wall Street and he's Hank Pym!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Might not be a well received movie but we're all forgetting about ol' Nic Cage. Won in 1995 for Leaving Las Vegas, starred as Ghost Rider in 2007.

Also, cant forget Michael Douglas won for Wall Street and he's Hank Pym!
    I don't think this fits under the OP's criteria, but well received seems to be subjective. I was okay with Catwoman, went to see Halle Berry in a sexy costume, left the theater satisfied.

Michael Douglas wasn't the lead of Antman.

Nic Cage seemingly fits, but I'm assumingGhost Rider wasn't a well received film at least going by Rotten Tomatoes, still I think that is kind of subjective.
    The J-man

Anna Paquin was the lead female character in X-men 2000. she won an Oscar at age 12. Hugh Jackman was the male lead, However, I don't know what counts as superhero acclaim movies in 2019. We can't compare X-Men 2000 or Batman 89 to Captain Marvel because there were different era of superhero movies. the acclaim criteria was different 20-30 years ago to what it is now.

I think Brie Larson's issues with her Oscar win, Captain Marvel and people questioing her acting talents is not as black and white. for those that say captain marvel is proof she can't act, her defenders says, well she won an Oscar so it means she can act. the lesson here is good actors can be in disappointing movies because the movie never give them a chance to showcase their acting abilities. Also actors are hired to do different things, even if captain marvel is acclaimed, the acclaim bears no similarities to the acclaim in room than won her an Oscar.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-27-2019 at 04:35 AM.

So there are many oscar winning and oscar nominated actors in comic book movies. The OP just narrowed it down to make some point about Larson or Captain Marvel. Though I have no idea what that point was and it probably could have easily been made in the CM movie thread.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Anna Paquin was the lead female character in X-men 2000. she won an Oscar at age 12. Hugh Jackman was the male lead, However, I don't know what counts as superhero acclaim movies in 2019. We can't compare X-Men 2000 or Batman 89 to Captain Marvel because there were different era of superhero movies. the acclaim criteria was different 20-30 years ago to what it is now.

I think Brie Larson's issues with her Oscar win, Captain Marvel and people questioing her acting talents is not as black and white. for those that say captain marvel is proof she can't act, her defenders says, well she won an Oscar so it means she can act. the lesson here is good actors can be in disappointing movies because the movie never give them a chance to showcase their acting abilities. Also actors are hired to do different things, even if captain marvel is acclaimed, the acclaim bears no similarities to the acclaim in room than won her an Oscar.
    I never understood the argument that Larson was a terrible actress in Captain Marvel in the first place.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I never understood the argument that Larson was a terrible actress in Captain Marvel in the first place.
    Other then the people who hated the movie before it came out I didnt see people saying she was terrible in the movie. Her and the movie were fine. Imo it was lower half of the MCU. But that's not really a dig, in my book that puts it at a solid B. Dr Strange is down there for me too but I think Cumberbatch is great as Strange... much better in subsequent appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Other then the people who hated the movie before it came out I didnt see people saying she was terrible in the movie. Her and the movie were fine. Imo it was lower half of the MCU. But that's not really a dig, in my book that puts it at a solid B. Dr Strange is down there for me too but I think Cumberbatch is great as Strange... much better in subsequent appearances.
    Fair enough; a lot of the people who were really vocal about her being allegedly bad seemed to already hate her for whatever reason and were following an agenda by hating on her and the movie.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

To be fair, Brie did have a number of interviews she did where she seemed really...let’s just say “off”. One such interview was the Vanity Fair “Google search” one she did, which had even me go “WTF” after watching it.

This, of course, added fuel for people to go overboard on the subject.

I watched an interesting video on YouTube that did it’s best to objectively analyze these interviews (by looking at body language and tone of voice, etc.) and compared to other interviews she’s done in the past, where she didn’t seem as “off”; it was rather interesting.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 12-28-2019 at 03:34 AM.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    To be fair, Brie did have a number of interviews she did where she seemed really...let’s just say “off”. One such interview was the Vanity Fair “Google search” one she did, which had even me go “WTF” after watching it.

This, of course, added fuel for people to go overboard on the subject.

I watched an interesting video on YouTube that did it’s best to objectively analyze these interviews (by looking at body language and tone of voice, etc.) and compared to other interviews she’s done in the past, where she didn’t seem as “off”; it was rather interesting.
    You mean, she trying to be funny to stupid questions Vs when she get good questions and she answers directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    You mean, she trying to be funny to stupid questions Vs when she get good questions and she answers directly.
    There are ways that people “try to be funny” that can come as off-putting, though.