Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 95
  1. #76
    Astonishing Member pageturner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,020

    Default

    if the name of this thread does not sum up fandom nothing does. 15years (spoliers).

    Anyways

    I think the story lingers Certainly the Dibneys have been MIA since, (except for a few ghost appearances).

    no event lasts forever in a large way Supergirl and Barry Allen both died in one. I guess Bats never trusted all the JLA but he has been even more so since that time.

    Ray Palmer never really bounced back from that event either.

  2. #77
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    if the name of this thread does not sum up fandom nothing does. 15years (spoliers).

    Anyways

    I think the story lingers Certainly the Dibneys have been MIA since, (except for a few ghost appearances).

    no event lasts forever in a large way Supergirl and Barry Allen both died in one. I guess Bats never trusted all the JLA but he has been even more so since that time.

    Ray Palmer never really bounced back from that event either.
    I can still remember how excited I was when I would see previews of IC. I thought it would either start a revival of the Satellite League or at least remind people of how great it was.

    Instead, it blew it to smithereens. As you say, some characters never did recover from it.

  3. #78
    Spectacular Member TheMaker1610's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    if the name of this thread does not sum up fandom nothing does. 15years (spoliers).

    Anyways

    I think the story lingers Certainly the Dibneys have been MIA since, (except for a few ghost appearances).

    no event lasts forever in a large way Supergirl and Barry Allen both died in one. I guess Bats never trusted all the JLA but he has been even more so since that time.

    Ray Palmer never really bounced back from that event either.
    QFT
    After the Identity Crisis events, Ray Palmer became the most miserable person in the whole Multiverse..

    -His Ex-wife went batsh-- crazy and murdered their best friends.
    -Feeling guilty, he traveled through the Multiverse helping people, until he settled up in a -perfect- Earth, getting a second chance in life.. Until the Monitors and Monarch killed Jean and his friends (AGAIN), and obliterated that whole universe..
    -And after getting back to (his) Earth, Cry for Justice happened, AND his pupil (Cho) got killed..

    Flashpoint ironically has to be the best thing that could've happened to him

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    if the name of this thread does not sum up fandom nothing does. 15years (spoliers).

    Anyways

    I think the story lingers Certainly the Dibneys have been MIA since, (except for a few ghost appearances).

    no event lasts forever in a large way Supergirl and Barry Allen both died in one. I guess Bats never trusted all the JLA but he has been even more so since that time.

    Ray Palmer never really bounced back from that event either.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    QFT
    After the Identity Crisis events, Ray Palmer became the most miserable person in the whole Multiverse..

    -His Ex-wife went batsh-- crazy and murdered their best friends.
    -Feeling guilty, he traveled through the Multiverse helping people, until he settled up in a -perfect- Earth, getting a second chance in life.. Until the Monitors and Monarch killed Jean and his friends (AGAIN), and obliterated that whole universe..
    -And after getting back to (his) Earth, Cry for Justice happened, AND his pupil (Cho) got killed..

    Flashpoint ironically has to be the best thing that could've happened to him
    Ray is in my top 3 DC characters and it’s an absolute travesty to what he has been relegated to.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), The Atom (Ray Palmer) , Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, & Ant-Man (Scott Lang).

    Current Pulls: Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Venom, Immortal Hulk, The Flash, & TMNT!

  5. #80
    Doctor Fate Doctor Kent Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tower of Fate
    Posts
    543

    Default

    uhmm... spoiler warning, very nice of you

    However 15-years is almost like saying spoiler warning for World War II, just saying

  6. #81
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    I enjoyed Identity Crisis as a character piece. I'll stand by that. However as a mystery it sucked, and several characters were just wrongly out of character. It was an important story but for the wrong reasons.

    It did irreparably harm several characters who have not yet recovered to this day. It became the defining story for Ralph, Sue, Dr. Light, Atom, Jean and a bunch of other characters. Stories like this add baggage to the character and make them less likely to be used.

    I don't think they will ever make a movie or film about it because of the content.

  7. #82
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    I always thought it was a neat idea for a story. It was a pseudo hardboiled detective story that, I think, relied too heavily on shock as opposed to having a tight story.

    But for me what really killed my enthusiasm was Morales' art; which I absolutely hated.

    I think if they were to able to remake the story they should got someone like Bendis (since his crime books are amazing) or the duo of Brubaker and Rucka with art by Sean Phillips on art would be beyond awesome

  8. #83
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    When it was released, I enjoyed it. The ending didn't entirely satisfy me.
    As time went by, I have begun to hate it. The main problem I have - besides the mystery itself, which IMHO is ridiculously forced and with several plot holes - is how awfully unsubtle every major moment is.
    For a story so strongly focused on emotional themes, it deals with concepts such as grief and rage with the same tact of a wrestling match.
    There is one neat idea, though (spoiler warning): the mindwiping/brainwashing/lobotomy concept, which was relatively common in Silver Age books, revisited with a modern sensitivity and put in perspective, with all the ethical questions it may raise. It really makes you think of how creepy and disturbing classic comic books could be behind their apparent happy-go-lucky mood.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

    DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

  9. #84
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'll concede to this but I'd argue that what the League did to Light is comparable to medicating people. It wasn't done with permission of the law, it was done in secret and the recepient wasn't mentally ill to justify this action. The League just did it because they didn't want Sue's rape getting out. They robbed Sue of a chance to get justice because they didn't want people to know a civilian got raped in the League's base.
    Sue was never robbed of her chance to get justice. The league altered Ralph and Sue's memory of the rape by removing Batman but they left the rest alone. Ralph and Sue never wanted the incident to be publicised outside of the heroes present there.

    In issue #1, Ralph said "...we never put it in the league archives but we were there."

    Ralph was also aware and suppotive of the memory wipe (not the personality alteration) of Dr. Light.

    In issue #2, Ralph said " Years later, I found out that she was up there simply because she was bored. From the satellite atleast she could get a better view of the stars. Nothing on TV she said."

    I can only assume that Ralph was able to make this statement because Sue told him about it. Therefore she still had memories of the incident years after it happened.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 08-14-2020 at 11:18 AM.

  10. #85
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    49

    Default

    The whole thing was a hot stinking mess. Characters written out of character, characters passing the Idiot Ball around like a hot potato, shock piled on shock for nothing but shock value, and DC, as usual, half-azzing its "shared universe" concept.

    If you're going to have a shared universe, then you need to consider all the ramifications of it.

    Consider this: in "present time", Ralph and Sue were living in Opal City.
    The Shade's Opal City.
    The Shade considered them his friends.
    The Shade is very protective of "his" city.
    The Shade doesn't like people harming his friends.
    The Shade is very good at finding things out - and then doing something (usually drastic) about them.
    So where was The Shade? Not there.
    Was there any explanation for this? No.

  11. #86
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComixMaven View Post
    The whole thing was a hot stinking mess. Characters written out of character, characters passing the Idiot Ball around like a hot potato, shock piled on shock for nothing but shock value, and DC, as usual, half-azzing its "shared universe" concept.

    If you're going to have a shared universe, then you need to consider all the ramifications of it.

    Consider this: in "present time", Ralph and Sue were living in Opal City.
    The Shade's Opal City.
    The Shade considered them his friends.
    The Shade is very protective of "his" city.
    The Shade doesn't like people harming his friends.
    The Shade is very good at finding things out - and then doing something (usually drastic) about them.
    So where was The Shade? Not there.
    Was there any explanation for this? No.
    Great point!!!!!

  12. #87
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    uhmm... spoiler warning, very nice of you

    However 15-years is almost like saying spoiler warning for World War II, just saying
    Spoiler:

















































    The Allies won that war! There was much rejoicing, and years later both Japan and Germany made better cars than us. Not Italy though, they still make terrible but lovely cars. Hope that didn't ruin things for you...

  13. #88
    Fantastic Member Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComixMaven View Post
    The whole thing was a hot stinking mess. Characters written out of character, characters passing the Idiot Ball around like a hot potato, shock piled on shock for nothing but shock value, and DC, as usual, half-azzing its "shared universe" concept.

    If you're going to have a shared universe, then you need to consider all the ramifications of it.

    Consider this: in "present time", Ralph and Sue were living in Opal City.
    The Shade's Opal City.
    The Shade considered them his friends.
    The Shade is very protective of "his" city.
    The Shade doesn't like people harming his friends.
    The Shade is very good at finding things out - and then doing something (usually drastic) about them.
    So where was The Shade? Not there.
    Was there any explanation for this? No.
    The attack on Sue happened many years before the Dibnys moved to Opal City. Many years. Also, this was a secret kept between a very small group of friends. There would be no reason for the Shade to think to look into anything. Why would he? He isn't doing crazy deep backround checks into all of his friends past.

  14. #89
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    How would Shade know it was Jean Loring using atom technology?

    The Shade is not infallible.

  15. #90
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    183

    Default

    I assume ComixMaven meant Jean Loring's attack, not Dr. Light. He wouldn't necessarily be able to find out what happened, but would try to find out rather than be absent the whole time.

    Really, though, any mystery story that revolves around Batman not being able to identify the use of a flamethrower is suspect I think.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •