View Poll Results: Did you like the Supergirl(1984) movie?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the supergirl movie!

14 51.85%
  • I dislike the supergirl movie!

13 48.15%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Lee View Post
    Helen Slater is dreamy <3 ( I tried it upload a picture but it didnt work..)

(sigh)

You're welcome.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Helen Slater is awesome, extremely cute and fun and a joy to watch. The flying effects are awesome, definitely better than the Reeve Superman movies. I love the idea that Kara's somehow intrinsically an artist, though I'll admit that it's a concept I mostly like in relationship to Zack Snyder's Man of Steel and the idea of proscribed lives dictated before conception. I absolutely ship Slater's Kara with Maureen Teefy's Lucy Lane, they're adorable as friends and my fiancee and I couldn't help but see a little romantic spark there. Oh, and Kara's first flight on Earth is so good that Zack Snyder basically stole it. That's the stuff I really like.

Parts of the script make absolutely no sense. For example, Kara claims that "Clark Kent" apparently set up for "Linda" to stay at that same school as Lucy, even though there's no indication that Kara had ever met Kal-El, or that he had any way of knowing what her plans were. And where does her costume come from? It's just on her when she gets to Earth, even though nobody on Krypton wore anything remotely like it. Also, there's a weird and uncomfortable continual repetition of this idea that Earth is scary and nobody there can truly count on anybody but themselves. It's a strikingly dark sentiment that the movie to repeatedly reinforces, seemingly completely by accident. If the movie was willing to commit to it, I might consider it admirably cynical - not that cynical is admirable, but there's something admirable about being cynical as an artistic statement when it's so unmarketable! But Supergirl doesn't commit to its cynicism, it just comes up every now and then. I mean, these are just some of the elements I disliked, not all of them.

Overall, I feel the reason it's so a disappointing movie to me is mostly that just enough of it is really good that it's easy to imagine another world where Supergirl is a masterpiece... but it isn't. It's messy, inconsistent, and often poorly written.

Like I said though, Slater is great as Supergirl herself!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I know little of it beyond reputation and seeing it on Red Letter Media's Best of the Worst. Where it indeed looks pretty bad.
    But Helen Slater looks GREAT in that costume.

Absolutely loved Helen Slater as Supergirl. Hated what the movie did to her. She deserved so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Helen Slater is awesome, extremely cute and fun and a joy to watch. The flying effects are awesome, definitely better than the Reeve Superman movies. I love the idea that Kara's somehow intrinsically an artist, though I'll admit that it's a concept I mostly like in relationship to Zack Snyder's Man of Steel and the idea of proscribed lives dictated before conception. I absolutely ship Slater's Kara with Maureen Teefy's Lucy Lane, they're adorable as friends and my fiancee and I couldn't help but see a little romantic spark there. Oh, and Kara's first flight on Earth is so good that Zack Snyder basically stole it. That's the stuff I really like.

Parts of the script make absolutely no sense. For example, Kara claims that "Clark Kent" apparently set up for "Linda" to stay at that same school as Lucy, even though there's no indication that Kara had ever met Kal-El, or that he had any way of knowing what her plans were. And where does her costume come from? It's just on her when she gets to Earth, even though nobody on Krypton wore anything remotely like it. Also, there's a weird and uncomfortable continual repetition of this idea that Earth is scary and nobody there can truly count on anybody but themselves. It's a strikingly dark sentiment that the movie to repeatedly reinforces, seemingly completely by accident. If the movie was willing to commit to it, I might consider it admirably cynical - not that cynical is admirable, but there's something admirable about being cynical as an artistic statement when it's so unmarketable! But Supergirl doesn't commit to its cynicism, it just comes up every now and then. I mean, these are just some of the elements I disliked, not all of them.

Overall, I feel the reason it's so a disappointing movie to me is mostly that just enough of it is really good that it's easy to imagine another world where Supergirl is a masterpiece... but it isn't. It's messy, inconsistent, and often poorly written.

Like I said though, Slater is great as Supergirl herself!
    Thank you for taking the time to write down your opinions.

It's been forever since I watched it, but my overall feelings were that it was merely an OK movie. I feel like it had even less gravitas than Superman III. Sadly, it had a smaller budget than the Reeve movies, so the effects have aged even more poorly.

I will say that Helen Slater, from her looks, voice, and costume, is the Supergirl I see and hear in my head. I remember being confused when the comic book Supergirl's costume didn't match up with Slater's. It's a great look.

Good 80's cheesy fun. Slater was the perfect Supergirl.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post

(sigh)

You're welcome.
    She's still quite an attractive woman now.

MV5BMTYxMDI5NjQ2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjY5MTQyNg@@._V1_.jpg

I admit a huge crush on her when I was a kid.

As for the movie, it's enjoyable for what it is. She was perfect for the role. Plus the Jerry Goldsmith score is still great.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 02-22-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Helen -hands down- captured the look part of Supergirl as if she walked right of the trade pages and artist drawing, and onto the big- screen
    Super kudos to the casting department.

Jerry the "Score" Master Goldsmith does his usual "hat trick" Thanks JG!!

The movie was enjoyable -light and sweet- however, it could have been so much better as it had great potential to be so - at least to the point of making a second one or, spin off TV series - well - I guess that the latter did come true albeit nearly TWO generations later!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Helen -hands down- captured the look part of Supergirl as if she walked right of the trade pages and artist drawing, and onto the big- screen
    Super kudos to the casting department.

Jerry the "Score" Master Goldsmith does his usual "hat trick" Thanks JG!!

The movie was enjoyable -light and sweet- however, it could have been so much better as it had great potential to be so - at least to the point of making a second one or, spin off TV series - well - I guess that the latter did come true albeit nearly TWO generations later!!
    Thank you for taking the time to write this.
    PS. I love the new show and melissa(multiverse supergirl) but...... Helen Slater did it better <3

It was okay for what it was. The movie certainly isn't one of my favorites.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    She's still quite an attractive woman now.

MV5BMTYxMDI5NjQ2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjY5MTQyNg@@._V1_.jpg
    I have to admit when she appears on Supergirl, middle-aged me gravitates towards her instead of the younger ones.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It was okay for what it was. The movie certainly isn't one of my favorites.
    Thanks for writing. Is there anything specific to mention?

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Lee View Post
    I love the new show and melissa(multiverse supergirl) but...... Helen Slater did it better <3
    I'm inclined to agree. I don't dislike Benoist, but I like Slater's performance more, despite the fact that I think Benoist generally has better writing. Maybe it's just because I prefer a younger Supergirl, but I don't think that's all there is to it. She just seems so joyful in a lot of cases.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. I don't dislike Benoist, but I like Slater's performance more, despite the fact that I think Benoist generally has better writing. Maybe it's just because I prefer a younger Supergirl, but I don't think that's all there is to it. She just seems so joyful in a lot of cases.
    I absolutely love Benoist and shows campy CW vibe ( even though I hate every other CW show because of this) . I wished that certain characters got better, happier storylines but that didnt happen. #winn+kara4ever