Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    This. Good post. Also the comic where Logan guts a hand ninja before she can unsheathe her sword. It was from her POV. She was explaining how fast hand ninjas can pull their blades. Wolverine was already behind her attacking his next targets before she felt her guts coming out.

Then there’s Logan keeping up with Spider-man in a fight.
    Yes, his reflexes and explosiveness make sense. Due to all his dense muscle mass having built up over the years as I said. I’m talking more about running speed. With a heavy ass adamantium skeleton, it doesn’t make a lot of sense for him to be a fast runner. At least in my view.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PlotDevice View Post
    All evidence I have read indicates Logan's physical abilities as being tied to his healing factor in some way. His healing factor is said to be adaptive. It gets more efficient over time, as we have seen. The way tearing down muscle tissue works, with it rebuilding stronger than before sets a trend. Logan's muscles don't atrophy. As he hits a new strength or speed milestone, that is his new baseline. His strength and speed can only grow greater, unless his healing factor is negated. It's not a huge upgrade like an enraged savage Hulk, but slow and steady. After 130-140 years of constantly pushing himself beyond his physical limits with no fear of permanent injury it should be WELL BEYOND anything in the human or peak-human range.
    Great post.

Yeah, that makes sense to me. Frankly, it's not enough to say that he got a "simple" regenerative factor. We should specify it's "adaptative". That coupled with his entire body having been structured by an overall mutant "animal adaptation" which gave him animal-like traits, including low level superhuman strength, agility, stamina and reflexes.

So basically, his superhuman strength comes from:

1- Animal adaptation
    2- Adaptative regenerative/healing factor
    3- Adamantium skeleton

That's it. The Wikipedia article and the countless Marvel Wikis should be changed in regards to his powers.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 02-22-2019 at 04:38 AM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GigaBalls View Post
    I think the answer to that lies in basic strength training knowledge.

Wolverine doesn't have the handicaps at power lifting like humans do. How fast and how strong someone gets is based on how much they tear down their body and rebuild it. Everytime a weightlifter goes to the gym they tear their muscles and the body repairs them to be stronger and adapt. For a normal person this take several days, for Wolverine it takes seconds. This has allowed Wolverine to basically get massive gains anytime he works out. Here's the thing, for humans there is a peak strength that can be achieved because our bones can't take it, our muscles can improve forever, making strength gain almost infinite. Wolverine doesn't have that problem, so he has no maximum strength limit. This is why its shown he can lift a ton sometimes, cause he doesn't have human bones either, and his muscles have been trained for decades.

Its not really a superpower but a side effect of having said super power, this is also why other regenerators have high levels of strength too like Sabretooth and Deadpool.
    I was sitting here thinking about power lifters, and how there's a limit to how strong we can get because of bone limits.
    You're basically the only person in the thread that seems to really touch on that. Lifts beer.

So when heÂ’s doing double backflips over the Hulk in combat I tend to roll my eyes a bit.
    I can't.
    You shouldn't either.
    Frankly I roll my eyes anytime I see wolverine get tied up when I first saw him as a kid break out of steel chains.

Here's the deal:
    Wolverines first appearance was him fighting the incredible hulk and the wendigo at the same time.
    His agility was demonstrated at that time, and like a fine wine he only gets better.

Here's what I think . . .

I think MOST people are essentially poisoned by the Hugh Jackman depiction. So the movies do him a disservice.

If you think about Mark Ruffalo Hulk, fighting hugh jackman wolverine....

The wolverine hulk thing doesn't even make sense. So do whatever needs to be done to fix that.

Wolverine isn't just someone who "eats up" hand ninja's hes NOT a street level hero.
    He can jump 12 ft and climb a 30ft sentinel and decapitate it dodging its attacks the whole time.

As far as the op though...

I think just the Animal-like Feral Adaptation is enough to explain really.
    Chips are 3 to 5 times stronger than us and Wolverines probably closer to a mountain gorilla 10x stronger than the strongest man.

The healing factor is a thing that does something humans can't. It gives him the ability to train harder, longer, and with more frequency that even the best Olympic athlete
    on the best drugs humans can make today. That kind of describes steve rogers in a way.

Couple that with the skeleton and you get a recipe for something tremendously strong by human standards, but still NOT as strong as Spidey pound for pound.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post

Wolverine isn't just someone who "eats up" hand ninja's hes NOT a street level hero.
    He can jump 12 ft and climb a 30ft sentinel and decapitate it dodging its attacks the whole time.

As far as the op though...

I think just the Animal-like Feral Adaptation is enough to explain really.
    Chips are 3 to 5 times stronger than us and Wolverines probably closer to a mountain gorilla 10x stronger than the strongest man.

The healing factor is a thing that does something humans can't. It gives him the ability to train harder, longer, and with more frequency that even the best Olympic athlete
    on the best drugs humans can make today. That kind of describes steve rogers in a way.

Couple that with the skeleton and you get a recipe for something tremendously strong by human standards, but still NOT as strong as Spidey pound for pound.
    Great, great post.
    So any Wolverine article out there should be revised in order to accomodate his superhuman strength as part of his natural "animal adaptation".

Meh. I prefer him as a more grounded street level hero who gets put in crazy big stakes situations.

BANNED

he can't always get close enough to unleash his claws on his own though otherwise the fastball special move would never have come into being.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Great, great post.
    So any Wolverine article out there should be revised in order to accommodate his superhuman strength as part of his natural "animal adaptation".
    LOl, well, yes, Yes you're absolutely right. Lets go with "Animalistic" though has a nice sound with more wiggle room for future stories.

On a side not this thread motivated me to go buy the infinity book with the claws coming out of the gauntlet.

he can't always get close enough to unleash his claws on his own though otherwise the fastball special move would never have come into being
    Well... No, wolverines don't fly, but some supervillians do, at which point its time to fly the Rasputin skies.

Meh. I prefer him as a more grounded street level hero who gets put in crazy big stakes situations.
    Yeah I've kinda gathered that but it just doesn't gel with him being the guy who repeatedly gets sent to fight the hulk to a standstill, kill the wendigo, and chops down sentinels.

I mean there's a "Because Science" explaining why those claws can cut through superman.
    I know there are people who want him to be that but... if we're honest he's just above every street level hero in terms of what he does or has done.
    You don't sent a street level hero to fight a Hulk, or an army with modern weapons. You routinely see wolverine sent to do just that.

He's sitting VERY close to spiderman where ever that is in relation to street level. Except that instead of webbing he has claws that can cut god.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 02-22-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

LOl, well, yes, Yes you're absolutely right. Lets go with "Animalistic" though has a nice sound with more wiggle room for future stories.

On a side not this thread motivated me to go buy the infinity book with the claws coming out of the gauntlet.

Well... No, wolverines don't fly, but some supervillians do, at which point its time to fly the Rasputin skies.

Yeah I've kinda gathered that but it just doesn't gel with him being the guy who repeatedly gets sent to fight the hulk to a standstill, kill the wendigo, and chops down sentinels.

I mean there's a "Because Science" explaining why those claws can cut through superman.
    I know there are people who want him to be that but... if we're honest he's just above every street level hero in terms of what he does or has done.
    You don't sent a street level hero to fight a Hulk, or an army with modern weapons. You routinely see wolverine sent to do just that.

He's sitting VERY close to spiderman where ever that is in relation to street level. Except that instead of webbing he has claws that can cut god.
    That last line is especially good, and probably explains why Wolverine and Spider-Man get paired in team-ups so often. Both of them are what I would call "pseudo-street-level," in that the situations they commonly find themselves in are "street-level," i.e. entanglements with the criminal underworld, covert military/government operations, and international espionage, but their particular abilities render them considerably overpowered compared to the usual adversaries one would expect from those settings and situations. In retrospect, that'd explain why there are so many super-criminals, super-terrorists, and super-operatives; it's how government and criminal organizations alike stay competitive in a universe that has the likes of Wolverine and Spider-Man (near-)casually outmaneuvering and outfighting the most skilled and best-trained ordinary humans those organizations can send out into the field.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

This is just something small but I don't think Logan originally had canine teeth until a couple of artists in the nineties would give him some on occasion. Speed and agility would be natural, though like an animal would have so... but his skeleton should way that down a bit and it is a wonder he can even move. Has that ever been explained?

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    This is just something small but I don't think Logan originally had canine teeth until a couple of artists in the nineties would give him some on occasion. Speed and agility would be natural, though like an animal would have so... but his skeleton should way that down a bit and it is a wonder he can even move. Has that ever been explained?
    The idea that the adamantium has any sort of weigth that could slow down Logan is pretty recent, especially that whole thing about his not being able to swim and being afraid of water, he could do that just fine in the 80s. Still he is supposed to be superhuman to an extent, even before he carried the skelenton so body probably just ajusted to it over time.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Makes sense; in that All-New Wolverine story where X-23 and Spider-Gwen met, it is shown that the latter is much stronger then the former. Granted, it's not a perfect comparison between Wolverine and Spidey for various reasons, but there it is.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

of course Spider man is much more stronger than wolverine but given the amount of damage he is able to absorb he should most likely laugh away most of his attacks as witnessed in Spider man vs Wolverine where he was hitting him hard enough to wreck cars but couldn't stop him from laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Well street level is more of a setting than a power level. Spider-Man is mostly a street level hero who only rarely gets involved in bigger stakes despite being superhumanly strong. Logan isn't as strong as Peter but he still fits into that similar mold imo.

BANNED

I don't think he canonically has superhuman physique beyond the healing. You're just supposed to ignore that he's heavy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    The idea that the adamantium has any sort of weigth that could slow down Logan is pretty recent, especially that whole thing about his not being able to swim and being afraid of water, he could do that just fine in the 80s. Still he is supposed to be superhuman to an extent, even before he carried the skelenton so body probably just ajusted to it over time.
    I think it's a big mistake to pretend that the adamantium is "heavy" (for the authors). Even with the "animalistic" superstrength angle accounted for, it's pretty hard to conceive that Wolvie can "move" so fast... IMHO.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 02-23-2019 at 06:18 AM.