Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I don't know if underrated is the right word for Jean.
    I would not call her underrated either but I don't know, maybe it's because of the 90s cartoon but I don't think she's considered one the "cool" characters like Wolverine or Storm.
    Anyway this was a nice read, I was always very fond of Jean.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    I feel she is. I've rarely ever seen her regarded in any medium or version as anyone's fav. Even if you ignore Wolverine who is kind of in a class of his own.

Which is a reasonable rationale for someone to not be into him but it doesn't render him a lame character.
    Because in other media outside comic she can't get out of the "the girl wolverine lust after persona".

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Because in other media outside comic she can't get out of the "the girl wolverine lust after persona".
    Not all media, X-Men Evolution and the Apocalypse movie come to mind.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    Evo potrayed her kind of bad when she goes after the popular boy in high school & still got creepy & jealous of tandy(I think that's Scott's girlfriend's name was & Scott.

Apocalypse was horrible all the way.

There's still a sizable portion of the casual audience that perceives her that way. I don't think Jean is underrated among X-fans in particular, comics fans in general - rather, Marvel has botched her return as far as I'm concerned. Teen Jean kept the genuine Jean from returning at best and denigrated her character at worst, and Phoenix Resurrection and X-Men: Red both had a few problems, with Red in particular seemingly completely superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    There's still a sizable portion of the casual audience that perceives her that way. I don't think Jean is underrated among X-fans in particular, comics fans in general - rather, Marvel has botched her return as far as I'm concerned. Teen Jean kept the genuine Jean from returning at best and denigrated her character at worst, and Phoenix Resurrection and X-Men: Red both had a few problems, with Red in particular seemingly completely superfluous.
    it wasn't jeen that kept Jean from coming back and she left a very good impression

Jean has a reputation of being part of the love triangle involving Scott and Logan rilvary (wicth is of coursre blown over proportion) or being the woman that died a lot for being the Phoenix, these last few years after her death also gave him the Gwen Stacy syndrome, that is not a good thing frankly and whole generation of fans don't seem to care for her.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Evo potrayed her kind of bad when she goes after the popular boy in high school & still got creepy & jealous of tandy(I think that's Scott's girlfriend's name was & Scott.

Lol,forgot apocalypse had that gross jeen & logan moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Jean has a reputation of being part of the love triangle involving Scott and Logan rilvary (wicth is of coursre blown over proportion) or being the woman that died a lot for being the Phoenix, these last few years after her death also gave him the Gwen Stacy syndrome, that is not a good thing frankly and whole generation of fans don't seem to care for her.
    Jean got screwed up badly when she died. No wonder the decision was to bring back Jeen first, the character really need a detox period. Jeen showed that Jean could be cool again and put in perpective the character.
    No wonder writers that grew reading Morrison, whedon runs despise Jean

Fantastic Member

Still she wasn't portrayed as "the girl Wolverine lust after". And Evo Jean was alright, infinitely better than the 90s cartoon version in terms of characterization and power level.

Fantastic Member

I think teen Jean was awesome. I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion but whatever.

If it makes you feel any better, Jean's coming off of her highest publication year ever in 2018, beating out '92, '93 and '96.

There's definitely some differences of opinion when it comes to Jean. I think there's a tendency to write her as a little too perfect and upright. She tends to succeed at everything she tries. This makes it difficult for creators to add much complexity and puts her at risk of being portrayed as rather dull. Of course she has a lot of potential for complexity, and a deep dark side, but I think writers in general are afraid of shaking her up too much. Morrison did takes some risks with her but it didn't all pan out. Bendis' also took some risks with Jeen but when compared to her older depictions of being the same age, she really came off as juvenile and reckless.

It's a balancing act for sure, trying to keep Jean interesting while still staying true to her more bedrock characteristics. I think this is part of why it's such a temptation for creators to use Jean with the Phoenix Force. For Jean the PF is a literary "get out of jail free card" for cutting lose emotionally and embracing everything that we know is bubbling just below the surface of her calm and empathetic personality. Jean's dark and deeply passionate side is only glimpsed occasional when she's separated from the PF.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    it wasn't jeen that kept Jean from coming back and she left a very good impression
    I think teen Jean was awesome. I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion but whatever.
    My opinion of Jeen has to be the unpopular one - I think her presence must've played a part in keeping Jean away longer.

My opinion of Jeen has to be the unpopular one - I think her presence must've played a part in keeping Jean away longer.
    If wasn't for Jeen, i'm sure Jean would be dead longer

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Jeen is probably the reason adult jean is back. she breath new life to the character