Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    If wasn't for Jeen, i'm sure Jean would be dead longer
    That could be true, althougth as i said before, Jeen felt like a complete different characther to me, she never reminded me to any previous version of her.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Jean got screwed up badly when she died. No wonder the decision was to bring back Jeen first, the character really need a detox period. Jeen showed that Jean could be cool again and put in perpective the character.
    No wonder writers that grew reading Morrison, whedon runs despise Jean
    I honestly don't see how Jeen in any way rehabilitated Jean's character - she and the other O5 were a plot device that overstayed their welcome. All that time and a solo book wasted on a copy.

I could see Morrison's run adversely affecting readers' opinion of Jean, but Whedon didn't do anything to her.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    That could be true, althougth as i said before, Jeen felt like a complete different characther to me, she never reminded me to any previous version of her.
    I think this would explain why.

2783673-jean.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Yeah, she and the TD-O5 were more like AU characters - that's why I don't think Jeen led to the return of Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I honestly don't see how Jeen in any way rehabilitated Jean's character - she and the other O5 were a plot device that overstayed their welcome. All that time and a solo book wasted on a copy.

I could see Morrison's run adversely affecting readers' opinion of Jean, but Whedon didn't do anything to her.
    Whedon did a lot of damage to Jean, a lot of anti-Jean arguments come from his run. I read recently and then understand where they take their opinions from.

Jeen showed that there still interest on the character. The journey to bring Jean would never be easy, Jeen served as a much needed paladar cleanser

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, Jean's coming off of her highest publication year ever in 2018, beating out '92, '93 and '96.
    Not bad. 2018 was the first fully year Jean was active since 2004
    There's definitely some differences of opinion when it comes to Jean. I think there's a tendency to write her as a little too perfect and upright. She tends to succeed at everything she tries. This makes it difficult for creators to add much complexity and puts her at risk of being portrayed as rather dull. Of course she has a lot of potential for complexity, and a deep dark side, but I think writers in general are afraid of shaking her up too much. Morrison did takes some risks with her but it didn't all pan out. Bendis' also took some risks with Jeen but when compared to her older depictions of being the same age, she really came off as juvenile and reckless.

It's a balancing act for sure, trying to keep Jean interesting while still staying true to her more bedrock characteristics. I think this is part of why it's such a temptation for creators to use Jean with the Phoenix Force. For Jean the PF is a literary "get out of jail free card" for cutting lose emotionally and embracing everything that we know is bubbling just below the surface of her calm and empathetic personality. Jean's dark and deeply passionate side is only glimpsed occasional when she's separated from the PF.
    it shouldn't be hard for X-writers do it. the franchise became each time darker and darker
    Last edited by spirit2011; 02-21-2019 at 03:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    What I want to see is Jean embracing that she is Rachel's mother and doing a long term story with the two of them on the same book together. I feel like Marvel is afraid of putting Jean and Rachel together beyond one or two panels from time to time. If Rachel can interact with Scott on a regular basis then she can definitely interact with Jean too. I get that they have the same powersets, but I don't think that means you can't explore their relationship and personality differences in an X-book.

I liked X-Men Red, and I thought Jean was a good leader for the X-Men, so when AoXM is over I hope she gets to lead her own book again.
    Honestly i want more interaction between all the summers-grey kids and their parents. I've always wanted a story with just X-Man, Cable and Rachel together bonding over their messed up childhoods and maybe set it when jean was dead and explore how their parents not being together makes them feel

Incredible Member

Whedon did a lot of damage to Jean, a lot of anti-Jean arguments come from his run. I read recently and then understand where they take their opinions from.
    I just re-read the Whedon run and I don't think so. Explain to me. In what does it damages Jean? What damaged Jean in my eyes was Marvel's decision to keep her dead for what ? 14 years? They could have brought her back anytime. And in my opinion, the decision to keep Jean dead has a lot to do with the X-Men losing their direction.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    I just re-read the Whedon run and I don't think so. Explain to me. In what does it damages Jean? What damaged Jean in my eyes was Marvel's decision to keep her dead for what ? 14 years? They could have brought her back anytime. And in my opinion, the decision to keep Jean dead has a lot to do with the X-Men losing their direction.
    Well I didn't wanted to talk about it here, but since people are asking. I think that Whedon showed that Jean wasn't a good girlfriend for Scott, that she was selfish and actually held Scott back.
    Sure keep Jean dead was the worse one for these 14 years, but trying to downplay her importance was awful too.

Not sure if Jean dead derailed the franchise, but for sure didn't helped a bit

Jeen showed that there still interest on the character. The journey to bring Jean would never be easy, Jeen served as a much needed paladar cleanser
    Really? What anti-Jean and not anti-Jott arguments use Whedon's run?

Jean has a very passionate fan-base, I doubt that they were quiet while Jean was gone - I don't think Jean's character needed a palate-cleanser, Jott did. And bringing Jean back couldn't be easier for the company that killed her in the first place.

My opinion of Jeen has to be the unpopular one - I think her presence must've played a part in keeping Jean away longer.
    If teen Jean werent around, there's no indication that adult Jean would have returned sooner. We just wouldnt have had any at all as TPTB did not want her back. That only changed when there was some changes at the top

Really? What anti-Jean and not anti-Jott arguments use Whedon's run?

Jean has a very passionate fan-base, I doubt that they were quiet while Jean was gone - I don't think Jean's character needed a palate-cleanser, Jott did. And bringing Jean back couldn't be easier for the company that killed her in the first place.
    We werent. Jean had one of the most vocal fanbase for a dead character. She was ALWAYS asked and talked about. Marvel continiously teased and trolled the fanbase bc they knew how passionate it was
    Last edited by Havok83; 02-21-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    If teen Jean werent around, there's no indication that adult Jean would have returned sooner. We just wouldnt have had any at all as TPTB did not want her back. That only changed when there was some changes at the top
    I suppose this is fair - I just don’t buy the assertion that Jeen accelerated Jean’s return.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    What I want to see is Jean embracing that she is Rachel's mother and doing a long term story with the two of them on the same book together. I feel like Marvel is afraid of putting Jean and Rachel together beyond one or two panels from time to time. If Rachel can interact with Scott on a regular basis then she can definitely interact with Jean too. I get that they have the same powersets, but I don't think that means you can't explore their relationship and personality differences in an X-book.
    I think you might be more likely to see that if we actually were to see a baby Rachel at some point. Nate is different because although she wasn't his true biological mother, she did raise him in the future and developed deeper feelings for him. Rachel is just this girl that came from the future and told her that she was her daughter, not saying she doesn't care, just that she never formed a bond with her as a mother, cause she hasn't actually been her mother yet.

If Scott and Jean do get together again down the road, it would probably make a major dent on the story if Jean actually gives birth to Rachel.

I suppose this is fair - I just don’t buy the assertion that Jeen accelerated Jean’s return.
    I dont believe that either. I always found her to be a consolation prize. As soon as the adult's return was greenlit, the teen was on borrowed time as that was the direction that the new Marvel was going in

Paniccia is the devil
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Paniccia is the devil
    why do you dislike Paniccia so much?