Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Classic Defenders vs. Mogo

Post Crisis GL Mogo. Classic 616 line-up of Defenders.

Namor starts in Mogo's oceans. Hulk starts on a mountain range. Strange and Surfer (speed equalized to his comrades) start in low orbit.

Fight takes place orbiting Jupiter.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

So, Surfer gets nerfed for this thread.

My feeling is that between the Surfer and Strange, they can still likely do something weird and horrible to Mogo. Likely (I'm admittedly a little *wiggles hand* regarding knowledge of Mogo). Having the Hulk giving him a headache, with Namor helping, just adds distraction.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

deleted post

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So, Surfer gets nerfed for this thread.

My feeling is that between the Surfer and Strange, they can still likely do something weird and horrible to Mogo. Likely (I'm admittedly a little *wiggles hand* regarding knowledge of Mogo). Having the Hulk giving him a headache, with Namor helping, just adds distraction.
    Planets are sadly lacking in speed feats :P

So yes I figured a nerf was in order lol
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

BANNED

if SS had his speed then he could have used a blitz attack a la SBP and fly straight through the centre of mogo bypassing his shields leading to a new big bang. at least it would have post crisis before BN which stated iirc that earth was the centre of the universe and the planet where life first emerged which doesn't make any sense like avengers 1,000,000 BC.

I'm thinking Mogo is too much in terms of raw power since I don't see the Defenders doing as well against regiments of Lantern corps, without that speed advantage

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    if SS had his speed then he could have used a blitz attack a la SBP and fly straight through the centre of mogo bypassing his shields leading to a new big bang. at least it would have post crisis before BN which stated iirc that earth was the centre of the universe and the planet where life first emerged which doesn't make any sense like avengers 1,000,000 BC.
    One of the main plot points of IC was SBP moving around planets so much Oa was no longer the centre of the universe, indicating that it otherwise was, and not earth. In fact there are references to Oa being the centre for most of post crisis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    I'm thinking Mogo is too much in terms of raw power since I don't see the Defenders doing as well against regiments of Lantern corps, without that speed advantage
    That makes sense. Okay, just to toss something out, how's Mogo against, for example, someone who is in Astral form who has actually gone inside him? Can he detect astral forms and attack them?

If he can, that takes away the only idea I can come up with for Strange managing something while the Surfer keeps Mogo busy for about three seconds. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    One of the main plot points of IC was SBP moving around planets so much Oa was no longer the centre of the universe, indicating that it otherwise was, and not earth. In fact there are references to Oa being the centre for most of post crisis
    oh yeah now that you mention it I remember that oa not being the centre of the universe was a result of SBP actions and not part of the deception they perpetuated regarding OA being the planet of origin of life.

That makes sense. Okay, just to toss something out, how's Mogo against, for example, someone who is in Astral form who has actually gone inside him? Can he detect astral forms and attack them?

If he can, that takes away the only idea I can come up with for Strange managing something while the Surfer keeps Mogo busy for about three seconds. ^_^
    Even nerfed, Surfer can become intangible or shrink or whatever as a way of extending those precious seconds into a more impactful distraction perhaps
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Even nerfed, Surfer can become intangible or shrink or whatever as a way of extending those precious seconds into a more impactful distraction perhaps
    I'm of the opinion that Green Lanterns have hit intangible things before. I can't recall why, but I suspect it has come up. ^_^

I'm asking because we're into something a little different with 'going Astral'. But if Mogo CAN deal with that, then it's pretty much curtains for the Defenders.
    Why are we here?

I'm of the opinion that Green Lanterns have hit intangible things before. I can't recall why, but I suspect it has come up. ^_^

I'm asking because we're into something a little different with 'going Astral'. But if Mogo CAN deal with that, then it's pretty much curtains for the Defenders.
    I believe this is the part where you "Call for the Captain!"
    =)
    - big_adventure

Mogo can certainly deal with people inside him. As for intangiblity and astral forms, regular lanterns can counter that and Mogo can take on whole corps. He also changed Guy from Red back to Green Lantern forcibly by attacking and presumably changing each cell in his body , which is kinda of big deal considering how red lanterns work

There's a little bit of a difference between straight-up normal intangibility and astral form; one of them is becoming intangible, the other one is essentially your soul zipping around. If DC Lanterns have stopped astral stuff or messed around with people's actual souls, then I'm totally cool with Mogo doing it; the dude can clearly do whatever regular Lanterns do and then some.

I think it's probable he can, and that someone will pull out an example (or even enough examples of them dealing with all kinds of weird, spiritual stuff), but I thought I'd check.
    Why are we here?

Does "classic Defenders" imply classic versions of the characters? Assuming that it does...

Namor does the backstroke, I guess. He isn't powerful enough to matter in this fight.

Hulk looks for food. Classic Hulk wasn't a planet buster, so he isn't powerful enough to matter in this fight.

Silver Surfer isn't a planet buster either (that would be his old boss), but he run interference for Dr. Strange against Mogo's lantern effects.

Classic Dr. Strange is a planet buster, but Mogo will make him work for it.

I would bet my money on the Defenders.