Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avengers 13

Default Avengers 13

Your enjoyment of this issue is going to hinge on how much you like Iron Fist and Aaron's Ancient Avengers. I'm not a fan of Aaron's Ancient Avengers but it seems he does a much better job on those characters. Maybe because they are much closer to swords and sorcery, a place he seems more comfortable in. The characters are new so no one is out of character except Odin.

This was an okay story. The only thing I rolled my eyes at was the use of a certain object near the end of the story.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I honestly don’t understand why we’re breaking up the momentum of the main story, to read about these characters that existed a million years ago.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I honestly don’t understand why we’re breaking up the momentum of the main story, to read about these characters that existed a million years ago.
    Because both stories are "main" stories, and each of the two main storylines alternate with each issue.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I really liked this issue, especially compared to the Ghost Rider issue. It helps that Andrea Sorrentino's art was much more detailed than it usually is (is that thanks to the inker?). Although I can understand how Iron Fist fans might be upset about how he seems to have bungled a lot of the details of the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I didn't care for it at first but I have no problem with it now. I would rather read about those Avengers than see Aaron's clumsy attempt to write modern day Avengers like Thor and She-Hulk.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Although I can understand how Iron Fist fans might be upset about how he seems to have bungled a lot of the details of the lore.
    I reviewed every Iron Fist book a few months ago for the Netflix show and found no problems with this issue. There never was in-depth lore about how the Iron Fist mantle started.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I t was an entertaining story. I would rather read about the AofW and the Avengers fighting Vampires but it was an enjoyable diversion.

I can only assume some of these characters will meet up with the current lineup via a time jump or some tech in the new HQ.

I sort of wish the 1 mill BC Avengers had their own side book. I do like their story, but it does feel a bit jarring to jump in and out of their story this way.

BANNED

I wonder if the avengers of 2099 are going to get a cameo.

wait, wasn't Odin blonde in Aarons 1,000 000 Avengers and now he is grey at the same time???
    Last edited by GodThor; 01-29-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Another fascinating addition to the mythical backdrop of Avengers. This subtly references the mystical temptation process, where the mystic begins to realise that they can step off of the ladder to ultimate knowledge in return for power in the real world.

Incidentally, this archetype is one of those stories that technically disproves the universality of Campell’s Hero’s Journey but of course Campbell never quite realised this because he wanted his thesis to be true.

What is interesting here, is Iron Fist’s decision to stay in the world and be a comic book hero is mapped onto the temptation ladder in a similar way to Christ. In other words this suggests the Iron Fists better reflect a Weatern as opposed to Eastern mythic tradition. That actually works very well as a framework for Iron Fists in general because it suggests the path they follow is not completely compatible with K’un-Lun. That an Iron Fist that accepts power in the heavenly realm is not following the well trodden path regardless of how those in the cities of Heaven see it.

Indeed the perspective of the cities would be entirely at odds with an Iron Fist, and their insistence that an Iron Fist should conform to their world view would be akin to a traditional Buddhist insisting Christianity was compatible with their religion.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-29-2019 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    wait, wasn't Odin blonde in Aarons 1,000 000 Avengers and now he is grey at the same time???
    Wait, was that just a different artist’s representation of an idealised vision of the early Avengers?

Your takeaway from this book is a beard in an incidental panel? Do you actually enjoy comics?

Astonishing Member

Of all the One Million BC Avengers,the Iron Fist looked to me to be the character that could have character development because from the few stories featuring this pre historic team this character looked a bit vague.
    So Avengers:13 was a cool story to me because of that.The one million BC Iron Fist Avengers have a parallelism with what i thought of Triton of the Inhumans as well.A character that without much knowledge of the Inhumans stories look less interesting that say Karnak or Medusa,but that by reading more stories about him shows the untaped potential of the character.
    The pre historic Iron Fist is the same after reading this story.And that art by Andrea Sorrentino is awesome.
    Looks like this was a great jumping on point in the curent Avengers comic book after i had read the first Avengers TPB by Aaron.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I sort of wish the 1 mill BC Avengers had their own side book. I do like their story, but it does feel a bit jarring to jump in and out of their story this way.
    I'm really digging these spotlight issues myself and the fact that every time they do one, they double ship means that we still get an issue of current day Avengers so the main storyline isn't left hanging that month.

Amazing Member

I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. I thought I would be irritated by the jumping back and forth between 1M and today but I find I don't. Love the art and I agree with earlier posters that Andrea Sorrentino's art seems different (for me, more clear). So she killed a dragon? Pretty cool.