Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    My thing with Johnny and Crystal is that it made sense for them to break up. They were each others first love and that rarely lasts. It felt very real in that aspect.
    Ben and Alicia on the other hand felt like their break ups were for the sake of drama and not very natural. It didn't feel like something the characters would do, that's why I like that they got married.

To have Johnny and Crystal back together feels more like a regression to me and it will never be as good as it was the first time. Heck, that could be the story. They could try and get back together, but find out that it won't work as they aren't those lovesick kids anymore. It could be a really adult look at a relationship and why sometimes trying to go back to how things were is a mistake. I especially don't see Johnny and Crystal happening after Medusa.
    Good point about the differences between Crystal and Alicia. I can accept the Ben/Alicia break-up because that's a relationship with added challenges which were pretty well handled using comic book relationship standards. It was time to get the two together.

I also don't want to see Johnny and Crystal together again. The Medusa thing was just so f***ing stupid that I'd like to see it never mentioned again. But Johnny having a decent and friendly relationship with Crystal (and Dorrie Evans as shown in ish 645) would be a sign of his growing up. And I'm still convinced the Johnny/Alicia thing was even stupider than Johnny/Medusa. There are villains that see those actions and shale their heads at Johnny for his actions. Low behavior.

But I'd like to see Victorious hang around a while and develop her own personality and habits. She may catch on, she may not. But in the Lee/Kirby heydays, guest stars did not vanish but usually stuck around for a couple of issues or so. That would be a good way to incorporate the Silver Age dynamics of FF.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Oh boy, I forgot all about the Medusa / Johnny thing. I guess that was deliberate on my part. I just thought now they are better prepared for the ups and downs of a relationship. Although writers are very bad about keeping Johnny at a certain level of maturity, or lack of it. I thought he was regressed too much during Waid's run after what I thought was a very good period for Johnny during Claremont's run, followed by the Loeb/Pacheco/Marin run. But that affair with Medusa does put a bad spin on it.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-27-2019 at 02:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Oh boy, I forgot all about the Medusa / Johnny thing. I guess that was deliberate on my part. I just thought now they are better prepared for the ups and downs of a relationship. Although writers are very bad about keeping Johnny at a certain level of maturity, or lack of it. I thought he was regressed to much during Waid's run after what I thought was a very good period for Johnny during Claremont's run, followed by the Loeb/Pacheco/Marin run. But that affair with Medusa does put a bad spin on it.
    Medusa's relations were just really forced around that time when Black Bolt was missing. First Johnny without that much of explanation then in Ewing's Royal somehow Gorgon. Glad that Cates just ignored all that (well, when he killed most of the inhuman

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    My thing with Johnny and Crystal is that it made sense for them to break up. They were each others first love and that rarely lasts. It felt very real in that aspect.
    Ben and Alicia on the other hand felt like their break ups were for the sake of drama and not very natural. It didn't feel like something the characters would do, that's why I like that they got married.

To have Johnny and Crystal back together feels more like a regression to me and it will never be as good as it was the first time. Heck, that could be the story. They could try and get back together, but find out that it won't work as they aren't those lovesick kids anymore. It could be a really adult look at a relationship and why sometimes trying to go back to how things were is a mistake. I especially don't see Johnny and Crystal happening after Medusa.
    Eh... I have trouble rooting for Crystal with just about anyone at this point. She was with Johnny, then Quicksilver, then the freaking real estate guy she cheated on Quicksilver with, then Black Knight, Ronan ... I think she even flirted with Sentry for 2 seconds there. Not that Johnny is any better I suppose, but at least he wasn't in player mode when he had a ring on his finger.

I'm not sure either are the type to settle down at this point.

BANNED

Loved the new issue. It's been a long wait but Slott and Kuder delivered a very good read.

Kuder's art is drop-dead gorgeous. I hope he can stick with the FF for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Loved the new issue. It's been a long wait but Slott and Kuder delivered a very good read.

Kuder's art is drop-dead gorgeous. I hope he can stick with the FF for the long haul.
    Yeah, the art worked. Galactus felt epic, like he should.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Eh... I have trouble rooting for Crystal with just about anyone at this point. She was with Johnny, then Quicksilver, then the freaking real estate guy she cheated on Quicksilver with, then Black Knight, Ronan ... I think she even flirted with Sentry for 2 seconds there. Not that Johnny is any better I suppose, but at least he wasn't in player mode when he had a ring on his finger.

I'm not sure either are the type to settle down at this point.
    I thought the Crystal / Ronan marriage worked very well. It started out as a marriage mandated for political reasons and keep the peace with the Kree. But it really grew into something a lot more affectionate. Too bad they did away with it.

As for that period of time with the real estate agent, I blame it all on Steve Englehart. I thought he did an abominal job with both Crystal and Quicksilver, who he turned into some kind of raving psycho. CBR columnist has a very well done write up about Quicksilver as written by Englehart in the 1980s in his Abandoned and Forsaken section. It appears though other writers tried to ignore or reverse it, Englehart kept going back to it. He's never been a fave of mine at least.

There were two things that piqued my interest from this issue:

Those demon looking things outside of Frank and Val's window could magical which would be interesting. A new magical villain would be cool and I wonder if it will be a separate adventure for the kids.

Johnny's Nova being cosmic level opens interesting possibilities for his potential power. Galactus even mentioned how powerful and "pure" it was. It could also mean that the other members may be more powerful than we thought. Ben also seems to have gotten a boost.

It looks a little like the Phoenix Force here.
    Last edited by Crimz; 02-27-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I thought the Crystal / Ronan marriage worked very well. It started out as a marriage mandated for political reasons and keep the peace with the Kree. But it really grew into something a lot more affectionate. Too bad they did away with it.

As for that period of time with the real estate agent, I blame it all on Steve Englehart. I thought he did an abominal job with both Crystal and Quicksilver, who he turned into some kind of raving psycho. CBR columnist has a very well done write up about Quicksilver as written by Englehart in the 1980s in his Abandoned and Forsaken section. It appears though other writers tried to ignore or reverse it, Englehart kept going back to it. He's never been a fave of mine at least.
    Yeah, Quicksilver was buried pretty hard back then. I'm actually a bit surprsed he was able to recover from that... but just when he did, they hit him again with the Son of M stuff. For awhile there Quicksilver couldn't catch a break.

As for Crystal... despite me not exactly loving how she's practically becoming the town bike for the hero community I will admit I liked some of the relationships she ended up in. Johnny and Crystal were classic. I ended up liking Crystal and Quicksilver. The triangle with Black Knight and Sersi in Avengers was good. And surprisingly, I even liked the Ronan stuff. So yeah... they do manage to make it work with her.

Mighty Member

I'm sure we can agree that the best line of this comic was "Galactus! I've come to bargain (with you one last time)!"

Other than that, I found myself bored with the storyline. The kids' role made me chuckle, but not much has moved me.

Cosmic rays aren't the same thing as the Power Cosmic. Cosmic rays are a real-world thing that isn't terribly impressive. Cosmic rays are an adequate plot-device in a world of radioactive spiders and the like, but pretending they are synonymous with the power cosmic is...a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Cosmic rays aren't the same thing as the Power Cosmic. Cosmic rays are a real-world thing that isn't terribly impressive. Cosmic rays are an adequate plot-device in a world of radioactive spiders and the like, but pretending they are synonymous with the power cosmic is...a bit of a stretch, to say the least.
    Meh it's comics. In the real world cosmic rays should have given them nothing more than cancer, so I can roll with their powers being similar to the power cosmic in terms of source. Crazier things have happened in comics and the power cosmic is completely fictional so anything goes. Plus the power cosmic-ish thing explains why they each got vastly different powers when you think about it.
    Last edited by Crimz; 02-27-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Mighty Member

For a story with Doom, it was a little bit boring. it was not bad, but I expected more from Dan Slott, it was a little bit by the number. And after Secret Wars, I expected more for Doom ! He was just his arrogant self, with false heroism, after Secret Wars, it's disapointing. The power-up of Johnny and Ben is interesting at least.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    For a story with Doom, it was a little bit boring. it was not bad, but I expected more from Dan Slott, it was a little bit by the number. And after Secret Wars, I expected more for Doom ! He was just his arrogant self, with false heroism, after Secret Wars, it's disapointing. The power-up of Johnny and Ben is interesting at least.
    Yeah, this didn't feel like a post Secret Wars Doom. Granted it was a bit ... nicer I guess than Doom often is with the FF. But this definately didn't feel like the version we saw under Bendis either.

I read it and Doom was by the numbers, but did have a fairly, kind of altruistic motive. The last page and what would be supposedly happening with the FF seemed a bit much. Even if Doom decides to pull a magnanimous gesture and pardon the team, the placing of the threat at story's end seems amateurishly blatant. Doom coulda been handled better. I did like his plans for Galactus which seemed very pro-Latveria. And we knew something was up, just like we all knew Cap wasn't really a nazi.

Galactus needs to stop jobbing. Um, you're freaking Galactus, traveled around the universe and this chick has got energy you can't resist? Sorry. Not even handled as well as Doom was.

The kids were tremendous though, as was Alicia. They were kids! Brilliant kids, but with the attitude of kids.

Reed's reaction to the recap of stuff he missed was golden as well. Yes, dude, life gpoes on without you.

Sue's the blonde one, right? She needs more to do.