Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

I think Galactus is just kind of done. He's lost too many times to take seriously, so now he's just another mook like Mole Man.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

Galactus needs to stop jobbing. Um, you're freaking Galactus, traveled around the universe and this chick has got energy you can't resist? Sorry. Not even handled as well as Doom was.
    I expected more from the being who punched the manifestation of order in the teeth and squished literal chaos between his fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I read it and Doom was by the numbers, but did have a fairly, kind of altruistic motive. The last page and what would be supposedly happening with the FF seemed a bit much. Even if Doom decides to pull a magnanimous gesture and pardon the team, the placing of the threat at story's end seems amateurishly blatant. Doom coulda been handled better. I did like his plans for Galactus which seemed very pro-Latveria. And we knew something was up, just like we all knew Cap wasn't really a nazi.

Galactus needs to stop jobbing. Um, you're freaking Galactus, traveled around the universe and this chick has got energy you can't resist? Sorry. Not even handled as well as Doom was.

The kids were tremendous though, as was Alicia. They were kids! Brilliant kids, but with the attitude of kids.

Reed's reaction to the recap of stuff he missed was golden as well. Yes, dude, life gpoes on without you.

Sue's the blonde one, right? She needs more to do.
    Like, what has Sue done so far? I can't think of anything.

I'd usually be upset, but I'm just tired.

I think my issue and the reason why I'm just underwhelmed is that it looks like we are still in that table setting phase. We haven't gotten to the actual story yet, it's just more setting up for the future. This Galactus thing looks like it's to setup Doom for whatever future storyline is planned for him. I feel like last issue and this issue could have been cut together into one.

I am not looking forward to the next two issues. I'm not in the mood to see the FF play second fiddle to Doom again, this issue was more than enough of that.
    Last edited by Crimz; 02-27-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I think Galactus is just kind of done. He's lost too many times to take seriously, so now he's just another mook like Mole Man.
    I don't mind Galactus jobbing to Doom too much, because Doom has already beaten Galactus in the past.

With prep, Doom basically owns any cosmic being really.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

I think my issue and the reason why I'm just underwhelmed is that it looks like we are still in that table setting phase. We haven't gotten to the actual story yet, it's just more setting up for the future. This Galactus thing looks like it's to setup Doom for whatever future storyline is planned for him. I feel like last issue and this issue could have been cut together into one.

I am not looking forward to the next two issues. I'm not in the mood to see the FF play second fiddle to Doom again, this issue was more than enough of that.
    I did sort of enjoy Sue's interaction with the Latverians she was protecting. That was a highlight to the story.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Cosmic rays aren't the same thing as the Power Cosmic. Cosmic rays are a real-world thing that isn't terribly impressive. Cosmic rays are an adequate plot-device in a world of radioactive spiders and the like, but pretending they are synonymous with the power cosmic is...a bit of a stretch, to say the least.
    Agreed, but Johnny isn't exactly Reed, so you can at least forgive him for not realizing the difference in the heat of the moment.

He actually had a good run for years, but the revision to world devourer may unfortunately bring a revision to villain of the week status.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't mind Galactus jobbing to Doom too much, because Doom has already beaten Galactus in the past.

I can only recall Doom getting a one up on him when he's gained items of great power (and even in that case the two instances I recall in the original Secret Wars and that goofy Eric Larsen mini had retcons after the fact).

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

I'm actually expecting Galactus to realize he's Galactus and the FF and Doom will need to work together to save everyone.

As for Sue, I'm with you. I KNOW the Reed/Doom takes center stage, but if Johnny, Ben, the kids, and Alicia can get time, Sue needs more than not being able to sing.

I think the story can still work. I love what's being done with characters that aren't Sue, Doom, or Galactus. Slott seems to have found a voice for them and is doing a good job with the kids. But Sue, Doom, and Galactus need to find a place in post-SW Marvel. I mean, I got a marvel previews at my LCS today with Galactus appearing in Dr Strange. Actually the more I go on, the worse my feelings about the book get.

But despite it all, I did like this issue. "NO, No flying trucks." "Man, when did Aunt Alicia become such a buzzkill?"

boring and amateurish. if you want to see it done well, read Superior Spider-man. Otto managed to overcome a cosmic-powered foe while still being the underdog in the fight. he didn't have to make Terrax look weak to appear strong.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

The thing is most of the time Doom is the underdog in a fight ....he just doesn't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The thing is most of the time Doom is the underdog in a fight ....he just doesn't believe it.
    That may be the truest thing ever written about Doom (other than he is the best villain

It's true Doom gets into a fight with a god (Galactus Beyonder, etc.) and doesn't seem to think he will lose...his ego is one of his greatest strengths but also ultimately his achillies heel ...but that is why he is such a complex beautifully written character...his almost Shakespearean dialogue is a thing of beauty...and thank you Dan for giving us a great Doom....

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

^no effort required

Quote Originally Posted by Doom Answers to No Master View Post
    That may be the truest thing ever written about Doom (other than he is the best villain

It's true Doom gets into a fight with a god (Galactus Beyonder, etc.) and doesn't seem to think he will lose...his ego is one of his greatest strengths but also ultimately his achillies heel ...but that is why he is such a complex beautifully written character...his almost Shakespearean dialogue is a thing of beauty...and thank you Dan for giving us a great Doom....
    speaking in the 3rd person doesn't make him Shakespearean. Donald Trump does it too.

Ben tanked a Galactablast.

Dan read the Moon Girl arc. MOON GIRL IS COMING TO SLAY!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Agreed, but Johnny isn't exactly Reed, so you can at least forgive him for not realizing the difference in the heat of the moment.

He actually had a good run for years, but the revision to world devourer may unfortunately bring a revision to villain of the week status.

I can only recall Doom getting a one up on him when he's gained items of great power (and even in that case the two instances I recall in the original Secret Wars and that goofy Eric Larsen mini had retcons after the fact).
    Is that just the change to the Beyonder or something else?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Is that just the change to the Beyonder or something else?
    In Secret Wars, that was the case. He needed the power of Galactus to challenge the Beyonder but even that wasn't enough. While the Beyonder was dissecting him, it distracted the Beyonder to activate some tech thing he built to absorb the Beyonders power. I remember in the Eric Larsen mini, he collected some powerful items like the Horn of Atlantic, the Cosmic Cube, etc until he gets powerful enough to challenge Galactus.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-28-2019 at 03:40 PM.