Page 3 of 128 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    My guess is Earth-1 is fundamentally shielded from the Multiverse and possibly even itself. That'd be a metafictional way to explain why none of the graphic novels step on each others toes and seem to exist in their own little bubbles.

If Earth-9 is still the Tangent world, its Florida, alongside Cuba and the Florida Keyes, was blown up during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Earth-12 was animated world, so its done in more of animated palette. I'd wager this one will be unchanged from Flashpoint- there's a lot of potential for Morrison to play around with, after all.

Earth-22, if its still the Kingdom Come world, probably has the climactic nuke shown, or its crater.

Earth-32 is certainly Millerworld. He specifically mentioned the Miller globe in the interview I linked earlier, and it's the only world that fits the descriptoin.
    In Kingdom Come, the crater was in Kansas. On Earth-22, it's in Africa. I suppose the setting could have changed, but that doesn't seem right. And anyway, I can't tell if it's a crater or something else.

I suppose Earth-32's darkness could be the clouds from the nuke that went off in The Dark Knight Returns #4, but honestly, I don't know what I'm looking at. Honestly, the symbolism would have been better if they'd just put a big Bat-symbol over the planet.

I'm pretty sure that, like the vampire world, the darkness is just a nod to the art. Compare it to the cover to DKR #1, for instance.

Astonishing Member

Just read Absolute Final Crisis.

Zillo Valla was E-43. Tracks with her being the "vampire earth" person.
    Rox Ogama was E-31. Tracks with Morrison's speculative interviews, and Ogama's being a disciple of the grimngritty.

Interesting how Nix Uotan was Monitor of E-51, the Kirby world ... and Weeja Dell was Monitor of E-6, the Stan Lee world. Very interesting. If symmetry pairings are the rule, perhaps Zillo and Dax were from opposing map-worlds, too - opposite of Earth-43 on the map is one of the unknown worlds, a "?". If Dax is the original Monitor, could that be the Original DC Universe? More thematically, just what would be the opposite of a vampire universe?

For that matter, what's the opposite of Bizarro Earth? Orderworld to that world's chaos. Could it be the Silver Age with its clearly defined good and evil?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

Rox Ogama was E-31. Tracks with Morrison's speculative interviews, and Ogama's being a disciple of the grimngritty.

Interesting how Nix Uotan was Monitor of E-51, the Kirby world ... and Weeja Dell was Monitor of E-6, the Stan Lee world. Very interesting. If symmetry pairings are the rule, perhaps Zillo and Dax were from opposing map-worlds, too - opposite of Earth-43 on the map is one of the unknown worlds, a "?". If Dax is the original Monitor, could that be the Original DC Universe? More thematically, just what would be the opposite of a vampire universe?

For that matter, what's the opposite of Bizarro Earth? Orderworld to that world's chaos. Could it be the Silver Age with its clearly defined good and evil?
    K. Jones of Earth-33, allow me to pose a question ... on which DC earth would you like to live?

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

I am not clear how the "opposites" work yet. Are they opposites on the left-right sides of the page, or top-bottom, or does every Earth just have an opposite somewhere on the map?

We know that the corners are opposites: -0 and -33; -6 and -51. Based on the interviews, -20 and -40 are not only opposites, but at war with each other. They're diagonal from each other. However, I got the impression from interviews that -3 and -16 are opposites, but they're on mirrored sides of the map. (Earth -3 brought order to the world through conquest; -16 brought order through heroism. Morrison said something like that.)

Anyway, I am curious what the other opposites are. -5 and -10 could be opposites based on both placement and theme: one is a horrifying Nazi Earth, while the other is a happy, cartoony Earth. (But maybe -5's opposite is -4, again based on both theme and position?) -12 and -50 appear to be opposite as well, which would be an interesting contrast if one is the idealized DCAU Earth and the other is the cynical Wildstorm Earth. -30 and -31 could be opposites: totalitarian communism where Superman beat Batman, versus jingoistic Americanism where Batman beat Superman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clairaudient Freedom Soldier View Post
    K. Jones of Earth-33, allow me to pose a question ... on which DC earth would you like to live?
    Either Batman: The Brave and The Bold Earth, or the Earth where everything is just like Earth-33, except that I get paid to write these things. Which I imagine is like ... the one with the "?" opposite from Bizarro-Earth.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

I wonder where the Howard Chaykin, Mark Millar, and Alan Davis earths will be located. If they're located on the side of Stan Lee's earth, you know Morrison probably doesn't like them. But the Alan Davis earth is a harsher and less merciful Silver Age world, so it may be earth-46. I have no idea what will characterize the Chaykin and Millar earths. In the case of the Millar earth, are we talking about Aztek and Morrisonian versions of Kick-Ass, Superior, the Killer (Wesley), etc.?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    I am not clear how the "opposites" work yet. Are they opposites on the left-right sides of the page, or top-bottom, or does every Earth just have an opposite somewhere on the map?

We know that the corners are opposites: -0 and -33; -6 and -51. Based on the interviews, -20 and -40 are not only opposites, but at war with each other. They're diagonal from each other. However, I got the impression from interviews that -3 and -16 are opposites, but they're on mirrored sides of the map. (Earth -3 brought order to the world through conquest; -16 brought order through heroism. Morrison said something like that.)

Anyway, I am curious what the other opposites are. -5 and -10 could be opposites based on both placement and theme: one is a horrifying Nazi Earth, while the other is a happy, cartoony Earth. (But maybe -5's opposite is -4, again based on both theme and position?) -12 and -50 appear to be opposite as well, which would be an interesting contrast if one is the idealized DCAU Earth and the other is the cynical Wildstorm Earth. -30 and -31 could be opposites: totalitarian communism where Superman beat Batman, versus jingoistic Americanism where Batman beat Superman.
    Happy cartoons vs. Nazi propaganda? Same art form used differently, for sure.

According to Captain Adam, there are no opposites, though, only symmetries. My streamlined notes:

LET THERE BE LIGHTNING
    * Symmetries, opposites, polarities and binary pairings are all over this story, right from Barry's first line: "The Light. The Shadow." This binary way of thinking in fiction seems to be the source of the corruption in the Monitors.
    * Destruction of New Genesis enshadows the whole light half of the Sphere of the Gods. Yin-Yang out of whack. Enter Libra (basically TB&TB's Equinox)
    DOA: THE GOD OF WAR
    * Metron, Anthro and Vandal Savage prove important in follow-up "Return of Bruce Wayne".
    * Metron: Science God - of course he's the patron deity of the "World's Greatest Detective".
    * Vandal Savage represents the opposite of the "Ultimate Man" - he's the ultimate expression of "Cowardly & Superstitious Lot", from the beginning.
    * Orion lands in super guns because coincidences follow gods around like puppies - the Universe trying to provide clues.
    * Montoya's connection to Turpin - why she'd enlist his help as a P.I., because he's Maggie's old partner, duh!
    * Death aspects appear to exist on symmetry lines - East/West (Kirby) get the Black Racer. North/South (Gaiman) get Death of the Endless. Angel of Death. Etc.
    * Final Crisis so far reads better once you've divorced yourself from a lot of the recent history that surrounded it and let it be standalone.
    * The Hal Jordan frame-up is depicted perfectly, actually.
    * Montoya/Turpin meet on a bridge. Metaphor!
    * Luthor is interesting to read after All-Star Superman, and Action Comics.
    * Vandal Savage and Leviathan are super-friends! Talia's informant!
    * The Dark Side Club is red & black, with curtains and checkers. Just like Doctor Hurt's Arkham. Gamblng on good and evil. And Talia's traps.
    * The Jack Kirby Monitor is dating the Stan Lee Monitor!
    TICKET TO BLUDHAVEN
    * No Mister Unknown! Weird.
    * Mister Miracle's post-Seven Soldiers mission to find the incarnate New Gods seems obvious in hindsight.
    * Story also works better if you're divorced from Bludhaven baggage, though it relies on a certain familiarity.
    * The Evil Factory. Talia's Bio-Factories in Yemen ... Talia's island facility where she grew Damian and the Heretics. Bat-Clones. Even juxtaposed directly in B&R 7,8,9.
    * Hyper-Adapter -> Plan A: Turpin. Plan B: Batman. Plan C. Doctor Hurt. Plan D. Talia al Ghul.
    * Weird reading married Clark & Lois, with gosh-gee Jimmy. Peer Jimmy is indeed superior.
    * Black Racer is Dan DiDio. RUN WALLY!"
    KNOW EVIL
    * Weird reading the Flash Family.
    * Miss Oracle.
    * We need Hipster Supergirl - Grant prophecizes it here; she's an art-girl. Sewing machine? Guitar? Paintings? MacBook? Fashion? Cat?
    * Why are Justifiers prematurely hunting Mister Miracle and Sonny Sumo before the real invasion begins? - Because Evil Gods are liars and New Gods have already lived.
    * Barry & Wally running into the hostile future is a good cliffhanger to jump back to what Superman's up to.
    SUPERMAN BEYOND PART 1
    * I understand the Monitor vessels here a lot better now. Including "why a yellow submarine"?
    * Post-Forever Evil Ultraman is interesting. And basically the same guy.
    * We see Weeja Dell's Earth-6. Crazy Marvel analogues - I'm sure it'll be even more expertly crafted in Multiversity.
    * Here's Pax American's Earth-4 evolved Captain Allen Adam. Awesome. And Earth-5's Thunderworld Captain Marvel - AKA the original Fawcett Billy. Awesome.
    * Hey, there's Earth-20's Society of Super-Heroes Doc Fate and Lady Blackhawk! Near Future Pulp WWII!
    * Here's Earth-17. WTF? Radioactive who?
    * Here's Earth-51, all primed and ready for Kamandi.
    * Ah, Limbo. Where eraser marks send things back towards the blank page.
    * Monitor sent a humanoid probe. It immediately split in two. Probe then saw COIE. Became Dax Novu. Split into infinity. Then reduced to 52. Dax becomes legend.
    * Dax Novu knew eventually he'd be made grim n' gritty so he prepared by creating the Superman weapon.
    * The symbols on the Mandrakk Doomsday Clock might be the number of Crisis-level semi-yearly events since COIE.
    SUPERMAN BEYOND PART 2
    * The Yellow Submarine is powered by Zillo Valla's heart ... powered by love. So damn Beatles. Golden Age Billy notices this.
    * Fawcett Billy calls Monitors "Sprites" and "Artificial Intelligence". Video-game references?
    * Adam says dualities are just symmetries - things have binary symmetries, everything does.
    * We the readers, collectively, might be "The Presence" that powers The Spectre and whispers to the Angels.
    * If Rox Ogama is the Frank Miller Monitor, is his "brother", Dax Novu, Marv Wolfman?
    * Miserable grim comics ARE Anti-Life.
    * Mandrakk pretty obviously parallels the origin of Lucifer, and the origin of Melkor from The Silmarillion.
    * Billy's crisis involves Sivana. Overman's involves his cousin.
    * Ogama banished to Limbo - Mandrakk later dies, so does this Ultraman, but not Rox Ogama.
    SUBMIT
    * This is pretty straightforward, but I dig it. Gives the resistance period a bit more "meat".
    DARKSEID DAYS (Formerly "DARKSEID SAYS")
    * The shadow cast by Apokolips has even taken over the realm in the Sphere of Gods where Black Adam draws power from.
    INTO OBLIVION
    * Silver Age hope and big ideas will save us from "modern" anti-life mindless melodrama.
    * "So there's a somewhere out there where Charlie never died and I never became The Question?" - Yeah - Pax Americana.
    * Death of Director Bones goes pretty much unnoticed as he's quite alive in the New 52. Compressed spacetime, you know?
    * Darkseid still has the hots for Wonder Woman.
    THE BUTLER DID IT
    THE BUTLER DID IT AGAIN (Formerly "WHAT THE BUTLER SAW")
    * Not much to say here that isn't more for a Batman topic, but I like the new title better!
    HOW TO MURDER THE EARTH
    * "GOTCHA". I forgot about the significance. Batman says it when he mortally wounds Darkseid. He says it again as a key word to foil Darkseid's attempted incarnation.
    * As for Talia ...
    * Time (two-page spread) between Batman getting zapped and Superman's arrival enough for Darkseid to switch the bodies for his Plan B.
    NEW HEAVEN NEW EARTH
    * Superman asks why Darkseid didn't take Batman's body - would take too long! But it IS Plan B. So Doctor Hurt is Plan C. Perhaps Talia is Plan D.
    * All the additional Barry/Wally dialogue really clears up what the hell they're doing so it makes sense.
    * Extra pages give us a recovering, shellshocked Turpin so we finally get closure there. More Wonder Woman. Frankenstein saves her. More Supergirl. Awesome.
    * Reading the Absolute Version, a few years hindsight in tow, in one go, not over a few months, is a vastly superior experience.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Earth 51 is pretty cool. I have a hover board that allows me to fly around in space.

You guys on Earth 33 are really missing out. Though we did just loose half the population of San Diego the other day when a giant dragon from Mars descended on it. Not the best way to spend a Tuesday.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    You guys on Earth 33 are really missing out. Though we did just loose half the population of San Diego the other day when a giant dragon from Mars descended on it. Not the best way to spend a Tuesday.
    At least it didn't happen during Comic-Con.

You guys *do* have Comic-Con in your world, don't you?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    At least it didn't happen during Comic-Con.

You guys *do* have Comic-Con in your world, don't you?

We do have a sort of comic con. Though WESTERNS are still really popular here. Superheroes didn't take off too much, but luckily with the new Multiversal Amazon, I can get any issues I want streamed into my apartment's database. I love SUPERMAN so it helps, met him once when he was here helping Captain Victory.

Hopefully we don't get rebooted too much with the coming Crisis. You guys don't experience those, do you?

Did they affirm anywhere that there would be an Alan Davis Earth? I recall that some JLA: The Nail characters were in Countdown: Arena (and quickly killed, which was lame), but their Earth was never identified and we soon went into the period where DC couldn't decide what to do with the 52 worlds.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Hopefully we don't get rebooted too much with the coming Crisis. You guys don't experience those, do you?
    We read about them...but don't experience them.

We have different sorts of Crises: Mid-Life Crisis...Financial Crisis....etc.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    OK, good eye. Now that we've identified a lot of the named Earths so far, let's try to address some questions:
    What does the "global"-lined logo on Earth-36 represent?
    It just occurred to me that Earth-36's globe looks a lot like the old 60's Pan-Am logo, which could indicate that Earth-36 is the New Frontier universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    It just occurred to me that Earth-36's globe looks a lot like the old 60's Pan-Am logo, which could indicate that Earth-36 is the New Frontier universe.
    Possibly, possibly. The catch is that they seem to be keeping the Pre-Flashpoint numbering, and New Frontier used to be Earth-21. However, 21 is now in the "wacky" quadrant and 36 is in the "classic" quadrant, so maybe the numbers changed?