Page 4 of 128 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Possibly, possibly. The catch is that they seem to be keeping the Pre-Flashpoint numbering, and New Frontier used to be Earth-21. However, 21 is now in the "wacky" quadrant and 36 is in the "classic" quadrant, so maybe the numbers changed?
    Could be possible. I mean, why the universes must be static in the bleed? Maybe they orbit the rock of eternity and the lines are the orbits. I mean, continents, planets, stars, galaxies, all them are moving. Why not universes?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that Earth-1, instead of being the OGN Earth, could be the earth of All-Star Superman (the "Golden" Superman, even in appearance). It would be bizarre if Morrison hadn't thought of a way of incorporating one of his most acclaimed creations in the map.

As for the remaining earths... you should remember that there has not been a coherence in the latest years, and maybe we should wait for the official news. For example, Morrison is saying that Earth-6 is Stan Lee earth; as in Just Imagine... which was Lee's take on DC characters. But don't forget that in Superman Beyond Earth-6 was, in fact, a earth populated by reimagined MARVEL characters.
    http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...f8/Earth-6.png
    That role apparently belongs to Earth-8 now... which, prenew52, was the Extremists' earth (basically, an "evil" version of Marvel-earth)
    Last edited by Myskin; 07-31-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

By the way, there is a possible contradiction in Morrison's map.
    Apparently, there is only one Rock of Eternity. But in fact, we know about two of them: the one visited by Shazam, on Earth-0, and the one which belongs to the wizard of Captain Marvel, on Earth-5.

Astonishing Member

Another thing: as far as I know, this is the first time (there was only one mention in Infinite Crisis, if I remember it well) that Bizarro earth is presented not merely as a single planet, but as a whole universe/dimension. I like the idea, even if it suggests a lot of variations on already known elements of DC Universe (Bizarro, instead of being one of Lex Luthor's creations, could be re-presented as a being born on Bizarro-Earth). Anyway, I wonder what could be this earth's opposite (Earth-14). Maybe Colu-Earth. I wouldn't be against having Brainiac from a parallel earth, rather than an alien planet.

Astonishing Member

BTW, I don't see any contradiction in having a second Wildstorm earth: let's not forget that Authority does NOT belong to Earth-0 (where there is only Stormwatch), which means that the second Wildstorm earth could contain the original Ellis version of these characters.

I don't think we've restarted this thread since the forums rebooted. With Morrison just having released the Multiversity map, we now have insight into what the post-Flashpoint 52 worlds are. It seems that so far, these are pretty similar to the post-Infinite Crisis worlds, but they've been "Nu-52ified," or as Grant Morrison puts it, "they now look like they're drawn by Jim Lee." In the list below, I've included what limited identifiers we had from series such as Countdown, but keep in mind that many of these may have changed since Flashpoint.

Also keep in mind that under Morrison's new scheme, the numbering is sort-of irrelevant. Yeah, the Earths still maintain their traditional DCU numbering, but their placement on the map is based on how good/evil or ordered/chaotic the world is. This article has a pretty good analysis of how Morrison's map appears to be laid out.
    I wonder if the digital first Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse was done before or after the map was done and if any of what we see in it will fit with what Morrison is doing in Multiversity.

In Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse we visit a number of other Earths, some of which seem to be the same as what they were prior to the New 52 as well as the New 52 Prime Earth and some others we haven't seen before. Monitor Nix Uotan plays an important part and his story continues from the place we left him at the end of Final Crisis, so I can't help but wonder if this will be another Countdown scenario where the Countdown book didn't really fit the book it led into or if they have coordinated their efforts somewhat.

The Earth in we've seen so far in Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse are:

Prime Earth: The New 52 Earth. Mistakenly referred to as Earth Prime in one issue.
    Earth-13: Home of the Arcane Green Lantern (Sir Harold)
    Earth-17: "The Atomic Universe". An post-nuclear apocalyptic Earth and home of the Atomic Wonder Woman and the Two-Faced.
    Earth-19: Home of the Gotham by Gaslight Batman.
    Earth-20: All we see of this Earth is some monsters in the "Death Pits of Earth-20."
    Earth-41: A mention is made of the "Scraper-Tops of Earth-41." and we see her fighting some Hawkmen-like bird creatures.
    Earth-43: Home of Nightmare Robin (Damian)
    Earth-44: Home of a robot Superman and the Justice Consortium.
    Earth-48: Home of a new Harbinger of the Forerunners.

It seems that some of these at least fit the worlds as we knew them before Flashpoint, but there are some elements that seem to make the Earths as shown in this series a bit too unimaginative compared to what it seems Morrison's plans were.

Astonishing Member

In any case, I hope that Multiversity somehow clarifies (or gives us the means to understand) the situation with the Anti-Monitor. I think that there is some kind of confusion about this character and his origins. Pre-Crisis, he was the evil opposite of the Monitor; but, in the Multiverse pre-new52, he was apparently one of several Montitors, possibly the one who watched Earth-3.

By the way, wasn't he from an anti-Matter Universe, the same one Sinestro found his ring in? But is this universe one and the same with Earth-3? Is he the archenemy of Nix Uotan (I think he isn't, but...)? and where does he "live", in the Monitor sphere?

By the way: where is Nekron from?

P.S. Am I the only one who would be happy to read a monthly book about the Theocracy, the super-group from Wonderworld? It was one of the most interesting ideas in Morrison's JLA, but it was never really developed.
    Last edited by Myskin; 07-31-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

BTW, there is only one way Morrison could outmatch himself after Multiversity: with a complete, all-encompassing History of the DC Universe. THAT would be a challenge.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    BTW, there is only one way Morrison could outmatch himself after Multiversity: with a complete, all-encompassing History of the DC Universe. THAT would be a challenge.
    I'd buy it, though.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    By the way: where is Nekron from?
    I am wondering how Morrison's "big ideas" fit with Geoff Johns' in the DC architectural structure. They both have significant pull, but sometimes it seems like Morrison is the idea man while Johns is the architect. I don't know.

If I am understanding Johns' Blackest Night and Brightest Day portions of his Green Lantern runs, Johns effectively merged the Green Lantern mythos into the Judeo-Christian understanding of the universe. (I am not saying that Johns is a theologian, just that he's a writer who decided to borrow from Biblical mythology.) Biblical imagery had been present in the DCU since at least the 1980s, and we've long understood that God exists, that Jesus Christ existed (though we don't talk about him much), the Phantom Stranger might have been an angel, the Spectre definitely was an angel, heaven exists, etc. Still, all this imagery seemed to exist either alongside all the other stuff, or else we never really talked about it. God was probably superior to the New Gods (unless you talk to someone like John Byrne, who probably saw God as subordinate to them).

Anyway, Johns took all this further and implied that the Lanterns were all derived from Judeo-Christianity as well. The White Lantern entity was definitely evocative of God (though not explicit); the red energy came from Cain's murder of Abel; the blue hope came after Noah's flood; the indigo compassion came after Jesus' sacrifice; and so on. Oh, Johns wasn't very explicit about it, but there was really no other mythology he could have been borrowing from. It was about as subtle as the Phantom Stranger issue where they revealed that he betrayed his friend for 30 pieces of silver.

What I'm not clear on is where all this ties with what Morrison is doing. Given that heaven is now one of many spheres in the realm of the gods, it seems that DC puts Judeo-Christianity on the same plane and hierarchical level as the New Gods and any other mythology. That's...certainly at odds with contemporary theology, but it's fiction, so we have little room to complain if we're so inclined. The reason why this all throws me, though, is that the Source Wall is now portrayed as a giant rainbow at the edge of the white universe. My first reaction on seeing the map was to wonder if that was now where the Lantern energies came from. But then, this would suggest that the Lantern powers do not come from heaven, or heaven's intervention, as Johns seemed to be implying.

I don't know if these things fit together or not. It could be that Johns has his ideas and Morrison has his, and we're not supposed to worry about it. The "grand ideas" in Final Crisis had little bearing on Blackest Night, even though ramifications from one hit the other. If Johns and Morrison are incompatible, it's probably because they're operating at entirely different levels of storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    You mean Earth-33?
    That would be Earth-33, so yes. Does it exist exaclt as it did before Flashpoint? No.
    thats for the info guys i was really asking if it was the same pre flashpoint but i guess it's not. I thought it's name was earth prime it always had a number?

Amazing Member

I hope there is an earth with non humanoid life(not cartoony like Captain Carrot) it would be interesting to see an earth where Dinosaurs became intelligent or some kind of insect intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Fine View Post
    I hope there is an earth with non humanoid life(not cartoony like Captain Carrot) it would be interesting to see an earth where Dinosaurs became intelligent or some kind of insect intelligence.
    There's a Dino-Cop on Earth-44, which is in the "evil" quadrant of the map. It's also on the opposite side of the map from Earth-26, which is the happy cartoony animal Earth. So I wonder if Earth-44 is -26's opposite: the latter is full of happy ridiculous animals, so the former will be full of realistic, gritty predators.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Fine View Post
    Earth-44, home of Dino-Cop and other dinosaurs with human-like intelligence, should make you happy, Milton.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

DC should cancel all their current books, and relaunch 53 books, 1 for each earth, and a 2nd book for earth-1 (Earth-ONE's Finest: Chris Kent & Jean-Paul Valley, the dynamic duo you've always wanted to read about ...). Imagine that, compeers, imagine that ...