Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Araña / Spider-Girl (Anya Sofía Corazón) Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous "Anya Sofia Corazon: Spider-Girl Appreciation", which was begun by Sardorim back in May 2014 and can be found here:
    The new thread name includes her original identity, Araña, to help distinguish it from threads for any other Spider-Girls.

From the original thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim

Short History Time!

Whether you love her, hate her or simply tolerate her it cannot be said enough that Anya Corazon is our Spider-Girl! Like literally, she's the 616 Spider-Girl.

Annnnyway... Anya initially went by the alias Araña after getting a sweet tattoo from the Webcorps, when they saved her life, and even had the ability to create an Exoskeleton! Eventually she left the Webcorps and went solo than as Ms. Marvel's sidekick whom became a mother figure for her. During Civil War the Doomsday Man brutally tore off her Exoskeleton and left her depowered, however she continued her heroics anyway.

Eventually she got a costume update during the Grim Hunt story-line after getting Arachne's old costume, when Julia took up the name Madam Web after the previous one died, though she still went by Araña. However she officially changed her alias to Spider-Girl, despite being depowered still, because everyone kept calling her that, even Spider-Woman made that mistake.

Later on Rulk worked with Anya's father on an investigation but both were poisoned by an organization called Raven and a berserk Rulk accidently killed her father, this act almost caused Anya to give up being Spider-Girl. However, Anya didn't let grief get in the way and she agreed to work with Rulk to track down and stop Raven after learning the truth. Also, it turns out Sue Richards was an old friend of her father's... Somehow. Huh.

Eventually she turned to Spider-Man to help her uncover Raven which was interested in Anya because they wanted to brainwash her into serving them and had captured her friend Rocky. While fighting the Raven Agents she discovered her powers had returned and worked with Spider-Man and Rulk to take them down as well as saving her friend Rocky who already knew that Anya was Spider-Girl after Anya unmasked in front of her.

Then Spider-Island happened and Anya helped save the day. Though strangely enough she wasn't affected by the "Cure" and kept her powers for some unknown reason. Bizarre...

Finally Inhumanity happened where Anya sought the Avengers help, learned how they operated and even got a new costume which she immediately updated after its flaws became apparent!

Now she's set to appear in the Spiderverse crossover, though in her original Spider-Girl costume it seems, and in the Grim Hunt What-If it was revealed that Anya is very much tied to the Web like Spider-Man is.

-

Whew, that's done! Anyway, I'm excited to see Anya participate more on the Spider-Side of things and it's great that she'll be in Spiderverse! I hope that she plays a continued role in all things Spider-Man after that event as well, loved when she teamed up with Spider-Man! If anyone can teach her about being a heroic Spider-Person isn't Spider-Man! Besides, she could use some time away from the Avengers to going web swinging and fighting street crime with the one and only Spider-Man!

Her latest costume is going to take some getting used to but I'm willing to give it a chance.
    And first appearance for her appears to be:
    Amazing Fantasy #1 (August, 2004)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I really wish she'd go back to calling herself Arana, as it was a more unique name than just Spider-Girl.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I really wish she'd go back to calling herself Arana, as it was a more unique name than just Spider-Girl.
    Agreed. Her original identity is still the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous "Anya Sofia Corazon: Spider-Girl Appreciation", which was begun by Sardorim back in May 2014 and can be found here:
    The new thread name includes her original identity, Araña, to help distinguish it from threads for any other Spider-Girls.

From the original thread:
    And first appearance for her appears to be:
    Amazing Fantasy #1 (August, 2004)
    Thank you so much, MajorHoy. You don't know how much this means to me. I have been waiting a long time for someone to come along and create a new appreciation thread for one of my favorite characters from Spider-Man's corner of the Marvel Universe. This really means a lot and thanks again.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-22-2019 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Thank you so much, MajorHoy. You don't know how much this means to me. I have been waiting a long time for someone to come along and create a new appreciation thread for one of my favorite characters from Spider-Man's corner of the Marvel Universe. This really means a lot and thanks again.
    Same.

I would have done it myself, but I found it depressing that practically there wouldn't be any regular content since, well, she isn't appearing regularly and doesn't seem like she's going to appear anywhere in the near future.

I also agree that she should go back to Araña. I imagine that there might be some trademark problems with using the name Araña, though, so she's stuck with Spider-Girl unless they come up with a more trademarkable name.

Okay, so I don't want to get too excited about this, but in a interview released today, Brie Larson revealed that Anya Corazon is one of her favorite superheroes!

As we know, Anya was briefly Carol's sidekick. Maybe we could see Anya in a sequel?
    anya carol.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Okay, so I don't want to get too excited about this, but in a interview released today, Brie Larson revealed that Anya Corazon is one of her favorite superheroes!

As we know, Anya was briefly Carol's sidekick. Maybe we could see Anya in a sequel?
    anya carol.jpg
    In a just world, most probably, and that could be a good reason for the worlds of Spider-Man and Captain Marvel to connect in the MCU. Hmm, come to think of it, didn't Peter Parker (and Mary Jane Watson) appear in the first two or three issues of Carol Danvers's very first series as Ms. Marvel? (Speaking of, the epic collection Ms. Marvel: This Woman, This Warrior is available now for anybody who wants to check it out.)

Yeah, they're even on the cover of the first issue.

Yeah, they're even on the cover of the first issue.
    Well, Carol did start a new job in the first issue of that series where she started editing a women's magazine for J. Jonah Jameson, plus she fought the Scorpion, so plenty of connections to Peter there.

Indeed.

It's gotta be said, the reason Anya ended up in Ms. Marvel was because at the time they were merging the Ms. Marvel and the Spider-Man teams under one editorial department.

Going back on topic, IF Larson does in fact push for Anya to show up in the MCU, I wonder what take they might do. I imagine she will Spider-Girl, since that seems to be the version Larson likes. Maybe they could introduce her and Kamala as a local superhero duo who became coincided at some point because they're Carol fans.

That could work... perhaps it would be similar to Marvel Rising, with Anya taking Squirrel Girl's role. In Rising, Kamala and Doreen are BFF's (unlike in the comics, where they're teacher/student and only recently met) and a crimefighting duo.

It would make CM2 a very busy movie though, as it's almost certain Spectrum will also be introduced, since we see Monica as a child in the first film. It wouldn't be the first MCU sequel to introduce three heroes though - Age of Ultron introduced the Maximoff twins and Vision.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-26-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Indeed.

It's gotta be said, the reason Anya ended up in Ms. Marvel was because at the time they were merging the Ms. Marvel and the Spider-Man teams under one editorial department.

Going back on topic, IF Larson does in fact push for Anya to show up in the MCU, I wonder what take they might do. I imagine she will Spider-Girl, since that seems to be the version Larson likes. Maybe they could introduce her and Kamala as a local superhero duo who became coincided at some point because they're Carol fans.
    That could be fun, especially since they're already angling for a way to introduce Kamala into the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That could work... perhaps it would be similar to Marvel Rising, with Anya taking Squirrel Girl's role. In Rising, Kamala and Doreen are BFF's (unlike in the comics, where they're teacher/student and only recently met) and a crimefighting duo.

It would make CM2 a very busy movie though, as it's almost certain Spectrum will also be introduced, since we see Monica as a child in the first film. It wouldn't be the first MCU sequel to introduce three heroes though - Age of Ultron introduced the Maximoff twins and Vision.
    Hmm, yeah.

She could also work as a potential replacement of Spider-Man.

I made a post on my Anya dedicated tumblr about the rights situation with her, and how, potentially, Marvel/Disney actually has the rights of her as Spider-Girl.

Same.

I would have done it myself, but I found it depressing that practically there wouldn't be any regular content since, well, she isn't appearing regularly and doesn't seem like she's going to appear anywhere in the near future.

I also agree that she should go back to Araña. I imagine that there might be some trademark problems with using the name Araña, though, so she's stuck with Spider-Girl unless they come up with a more trademarkable name.
    Honestly, the name Spider-Girl isn't too bad. But I get what you're saying. It's really hard to come up with a cool & unique superhero name in this day and age, unless you're an expert linguist or something.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-27-2019 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Added a word.

She could also work as a potential replacement of Spider-Man.

I made a post on my Anya dedicated tumblr about the rights situation with her, and how, potentially, Marvel/Disney actually has the rights of her as Spider-Girl.
    At the end of that blog post, you mention her cartoon origin being Spider-Island. That was, in fact, lifted wholesale from the comics, as, having been depowered when she was Carol's sidekick, that's where she got her current powers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman