Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
At the same time, a lot of posters here complain about Wonder Woman lately have mainly had to fight "public domain" villains (i.e. villains with a mythological basis). I think both your point and theirs have merit to it: Diana's "own" villains have been distinctly underdeveloped lately, and the use of the mythological villains have been largely in a rut lately, partly because her entire run since the New 52 has been dominated by restarts, poorly executed ideas, stretched or aborted storylines, and so on.

And yes, you're thinking of the Azzarello run. Except that the antagonism with Athena was brought up and resolved by a couple pages, at most, so it never really amounted to anything real. In the final reckoning, Diana mainly served as a vehicle for returning the Olympos to its "proper" order with Zeus at the top there, which left me with an ill taste in the mouth, apart from everything else about that run that left an ill taste.
Yeah something tells me the story of an abusive rapist being restored to his position of power and privilege after avoiding the consequences of his actions would not be well received in a post-#MeToo world. Least of all one that was told in a Wonder Woman comic.