Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avengers #15

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Default Avengers #15

I didn't see a thread for this issue yet. Should we just start a thread for Jason Aaron's Avengers rather than discussing them in piecemeal?

Anyway, this issue was a lot of fun. It's going to very dark places and I don't think I'd ever feel sorry for so many vampires. The Legion of the Unliving are all unique and offer something to the story. I don't think I've ever been so creeped out by a mouse.

What did everyone else think?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I definately liked how the Shadow Colonel and his gang ended up being at least reasonably credible threats to the Avengers.

Given that normal vamps on a given day can be deal with by normal human beings, I thought there might be a potentially big drop in threat level especially coming off fighting Celestials. But the Colonel does seem to have a lot of tricks up his sleeve, which allows him to at least hold his own against a fairly powerful Avengers team thus far. So it works.

Given they are building up a BIT of mystery as to who the Shadow Colonel identity, I wonder if it'll end up being someone we actually know. I'm assuming they're hiding the identity for a reason. Given the buildiness of the suit, it could even be a female. So that double the number of potential candidates.

is howard stark the actual endgame villain of this book

in this house we stan SNOWSNAKE
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Never cared for vampires, they suck in more than one way!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

I really like the use of the Russian Guard in this book. I hope the shadow colonial is an OC. The biggest disappointment of Hickman's Avengers run to me was Doom being rabum alal
    We need better comics

I do find myself wondering why Stark didn't avoid eye-contact with Dracula, and why Dracula didn't take advantage of that mistake by hypnotizing him. For that matter, why doesn't Dracula turn to mist to escape his bonds? Or use his weather-control to level the place? (Keep in mind, Dracula's weather-control is powerful enough that he completed obliterated the city of Littlepool)

Edit: I just remembered that Iron Man has psi-jamming equipment to prevent the hypnotism. The rest still applies.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 02-23-2019 at 11:08 AM.

The orange Fanta they're pumping into him probably power dampens.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I do find myself wondering why Stark didn't avoid eye-contact with Dracula, and why Dracula didn't take advantage of that mistake by hypnotizing him. For that matter, why doesn't Dracula turn to mist to escape his bonds? Or use his weather-control to level the place? (Keep in mind, Dracula's weather-control is powerful enough that he completed obliterated the city of Littlepool)

Edit: I just remembered that Iron Man has psi-jamming equipment to prevent the hypnotism. The rest still applies.
    The obvious answer is Dracula isn't escaping because he doesn't want to escape. He surrendered himself willingly. For whatever reason, he's where he wants to be at the moment.

But it's possible there are precautions beyond what we're seeing. Vampires have a LOT of weaknesses (un light, garlic, silver, etc), so presumably the russians have incorporated some of that into his cell. Though whatever they've done presumably won't be enough if push comes to shove.

It is interesting that Dracula was able to cause a riot. Did he somehow hypnotize all the prisoners at some point? Either way he does seemed to have the situation reasonable well in hand.

wait oh my god I just realized jason dug up this baroness blood from that old union jack mini and that old new invaders run ayyy imao I thought she was an OC

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

It is interesting that Dracula was able to cause a riot. Did he somehow hypnotize all the prisoners at some point? Either way he does seemed to have the situation reasonable well in hand.
    Maybe their minds had deteriorated to the point where they counted as predators/vermin? Vampires can control swarms of predators and vermin without making eye-contact.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I didn't see a thread for this issue yet. Should we just start a thread for Jason Aaron's Avengers rather than discussing them in piecemeal?

Anyway, this issue was a lot of fun. It's going to very dark places and I don't think I'd ever feel sorry for so many vampires. The Legion of the Unliving are all unique and offer something to the story. I don't think I've ever been so creeped out by a mouse.

What did everyone else think?
    I'm having a blast with this arc. It's a lot of fun and it's definitely a change of pace from the usual Avengers business.

Stark's meeting with Dracula was a highlight and the Shadow Colonel and his Legion of the Unliving make for a great group of baddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I'm having a blast with this arc. It's a lot of fun and it's definitely a change of pace from the usual Avengers business.

Stark's meeting with Dracula was a highlight and the Shadow Colonel and his Legion of the Unliving make for a great group of baddies.
    Yeah, Drac confronting Tony was pretty cool. I do wonder if there's more to this Howard Stark thing, or if it's just Dracula messing with him.

BANNED

Yeah, Drac confronting Tony was pretty cool. I do wonder if there's more to this Howard Stark thing, or if it's just Dracula messing with him.
    I was wondering that as well. Be pretty cool if there actually was a Dracula/Howard Stark connection going on!

But, of course, it would surely be in Dracula's character to just be messing with Tony's head.

I was wondering if Aaron is playing on the Howard Hughes story about him living in a darkened hotel room seeming very vampiric. In other words subtly suggesting Howard might have become a Vampire.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

Reread 14 and just finished 15

Gotta say I really enjoyed them, things moving along nicely