Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Maybe because it wasn’t a power set that on its own, pushed to the limit, that really interested the main “architects” of the Marvel universe??

Marvel has always struck me...certainly in its early decades..as a much more coherent integrated universe than DC. If you put in a light speed character ..as a regular big character..it maybe makes too many of the big stars (Spider-man, Daredevil) look a wee bit ineffective.

DC architects have never bothered about overall coherence (we’re supposed to believe Batman or Green Arrow can go up against gods, for pity’s sake)...but maybe Marvel wanted a more coherent feel?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Speedsters work best as happy people. It's just the archetype.

Marvel caps their speedsters at Quicksilver, who's pretty much insuferable.

So, there.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Speedsters work best as happy people. It's just the archetype.

Marvel caps their speedsters at Quicksilver, who's pretty much insuferable.

So, there.
    That and stretch/morphing powers, which is arguably the funniest power.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Because the Flash is way cool.
    Pretty much the right answer. Put another way: Talent always wins.

The Flash was a concept and world developed by Julius Schwartz, Gardner Fox, John Broome and Carmine Infantino. Those are "all-century", hall of fame-level creators.

Their initial work was so inspired and popular it reignited superheroes as a thing that sells. They turned the Flash into a pillar of the DC universe for decades to come.

After? Well, it was usually fans of their work that took over, and did their best to refurbish and update the house - the two most notable being Cary Bates in the 1970s, and Mark Waid in the 1990s.

I quite liked Bluestreak. I think she had the potential to become interesting like how the DC speedsters are had she gotten more development (A-Next #5, 9, and 12, 1999).

Boisterously Confused

Another thing about DC's speedsters is that DC put real effort into making their powers more interesting than Runs Fast. The Silver Age Flash was loaded with pseudo-science lessons showcasing what could be done with the character's abilities. Silver Age Marvel spent a lot less time on that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I quite liked Bluestreak. I think she had the potential to become interesting like how the DC speedsters are had she gotten more development (A-Next #5, 9, and 12, 1999).

Horrible look. Did she steal one of the Wasp's customs in the future?
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 05-05-2020 at 07:44 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

The Speedforce to me makes the DC Speedsters a bit more interesting. Plus the Flash is a A list hero with multiple people taking up the mantle. Marvel doesn't really have a hero counterpart on that level. Quicksilver is probably the closest one from Marvel.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Marvel's speedsters appear to be mutants, near as I can tell. Which means they are tied to the X-Men which means they aren't really independent characters on their own. When was the last time Quicksilver had his own book? One of the things that I think works against Marvel characters to some degree is having everyone in the same city. So they get lost in the shuffle, so to speak. Marvel characters do best when they don't really have a big name DC counterpart. There is no DC version of Spiderman for instance. There's no real DC Hulk. No DC Wolverine. There's a DC Captain America but he came along after the real Captain America. Meanwhile, how many Superman allegories does Marvel have? How many stand out in the public's mind? The Carol Danvers Captain Marvel and even that's because Marvel put a real effort into making her a household name. She even got her own movie. Quicksilver was a fun character in the X-Men movies but he's not treated as an individual.

There was a thread a while back about why Batman is more popular than Superman. My conclusion is that DC just put more effort into Batman than Superman. Flash has his own TV show. He's getting his own movie. Meanwhile the MCU killed off their version of Quicksilver. Characters become popular when the companies that own them make an effort to put them in the public consciousness. Marvel doesn't seem to invest in their speedsters as much as they do their other characters.
    Assassinate Putin!

Because DC's speedsters are Demigods with lightning powers that can vibrate your soul away and steal your friction.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

What speedsters does Marvel have to?

Quicksilver is the most famous but Northstar, Aurora, America Chavez (maybe) are out there

I don't know if Spectrum can be Tagged as one i mean she can...

Astonishing Member

Marvel actually established limits to their speedster and doesn't have the Speed Force aka 'whatever the current writer wants it to be'.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    What speedsters does Marvel have to?

Quicksilver is the most famous but Northstar, Aurora, America Chavez (maybe) are out there

I don't know if Spectrum can be Tagged as one i mean she can...
    Marvel’s Flash-esque speedsters are said to include: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profi...edsters/63588/

Mercury (1940)

The Whizzer (1941)

Quicksilver (1964)

Speed Demon (1969)

The Thunderbolt (1970)

Spitfire (1976)

Hermod (1978)

Moonstalker (1980)

The Runner (1985)

The Blur (1986)

Speed (1986)

Super Sabre (1987)

Black Racer (1988)

Buried Alien (1990)

Impulse (1990)

Speedfreak (1991)

Meanstreak (1993)

Allegra (1994)

Burnout (1996)

Bluestreak (1998)

Torque (1998)

Whiz Kid (2004)

Calamity (2006)

Le Vent (2007)

Non-Stop (2008)

Slingshot (2008)

Burst (2009)

Velocidad (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Marvel actually established limits to their speedster and doesn't have the Speed Force aka 'whatever the current writer wants it to be'.
    Though with the Speed Force every DC Speedster trounces every Marvel Speedster .

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    This was actually good i think... DC speedsters are to overpowered