Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ashley Barton (Spider-Woman from Earth-807128) Appreciation (2019)

First appearance:

Wolverine #67 (September 2008)

The daughter of Clint "Old Man Hawkeye" Barton and the granddaughter of Peter Parker, Ashley Barton was many things on Earth-807128, including at one point the successor to The Kingpin (after she killed him, though to be fair he did plan to execute her first)!

from Spider-Geddon Handbook (2018)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'm just wondering who her grandmother was, though speaking of, I did appreciate how Christopher Priest handled her character in Spider-Force. I liked seeing her (try to) connect with "Charlie," the young alternate Peter Parker who ran away from an abusive home and became a juvenile delinquent, and I was glad they both survived Spider-Geddon. Looking forward to more appearances by her, and if Dead Man Logan does return Old Man Logan to his timeline, I hope she shows up there as well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member

She mentioned to having met her grandfather when she was little, that means that Peter could be alive, it would be interesting if they did a Old Man Spider, similar to Reign but without MJ dying because of having sex with Peter. Though I wonder who did Peter had childrens with.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The daughter of Clint "Old Man Hawkeye" Barton and the granddaughter of Peter Parker, Ashley Barton was many things on Earth-807128, including at one point the successor to The Kingpin (after she killed him, though to be fair he did plan to execute her first)!
    From Wolverine #68 (October 2008)
    NOTE: Not for the squeamish!

First, the Kingpin of that time / reality:

Remember the line: "Bitch got old!"

It will come back around and bite him!

Last edited by MajorHoy; 02-27-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    From Wolverine #68 (October 2008)
    NOTE: Not for the squeamish!

First, the Kingpin of that time / reality:

Remember the line: "Bitch got old!"

It will come back around and bite him!

Yeah, that was absolutely brutal. That entire story was brutal.

BANNED

Old Man Logan stinks. It's a mean-spirited comic without anything to say. It's a good thing that James Mangold's Logan borrowed some ideas and the idea of Logan growing old and junked everything else and actually went way further than Old Man did by actually killing off Wolverine. Millar's Old Man Logan borrows from Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven but it forgets that the whole point of the "retired outlaw going on one last adventure" is supposed to be a tragedy, a waste, a degradation. It's not supposed to be a cool comeback tour. And again why the hell is Hulk a cannibal, and an incesty-creep, what is that trying to say?

The concept doesn't even make sense. How is that Matt Murdock with his red hair sticking out under the mask, as glimpsed there, not aging when Peter Parker apparently has a grand-daughter who is in her late teens?

Most of Millar's stuff is bad and sub-par but unfortunately, it sells well. About the only good superhero comics he wrote for Marvel is Marvel Knights Spider-Man and I think working on Spider-Man kept him in check. When allowed to let loose in Civil War, Old Man Logan, The Ultimates, and UXM, he sucks. And don't get me started about Red Son.

As far as Ashley Barton is concerned. I don't especially care who her grandmother is because I have no interest or curiosity about what Peter's fate and that of his supporting cast is in the world of OML. Don't especially care for her either as a character.

Right now there's a story called Old Man Quill set in the same universe, and they decided to show what happened to The Thing (https://www.cbr.com/old-man-quill-do...-throne-thing/). Maybe a later issue will have them discuss Spider-Man's corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    . . . The concept doesn't even make sense. How is that Matt Murdock with his red hair sticking out under the mask, as glimpsed there, not aging when Peter Parker apparently has a grand-daughter who is in her late teens?
    Alternate Earth, and since I didn't read the series, were those actually the original versions of "Daredevil" and "Punisher", or were they just a couple of posers using the identities for themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Old Man Logan stinks. It's a mean-spirited comic without anything to say. It's a good thing that James Mangold's Logan borrowed some ideas and the idea of Logan growing old and junked everything else and actually went way further than Old Man did by actually killing off Wolverine. Millar's Old Man Logan borrows from Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven but it forgets that the whole point of the "retired outlaw going on one last adventure" is supposed to be a tragedy, a waste, a degradation. It's not supposed to be a cool comeback tour. And again why the hell is Hulk a cannibal, and an incesty-creep, what is that trying to say?

The concept doesn't even make sense. How is that Matt Murdock with his red hair sticking out under the mask, as glimpsed there, not aging when Peter Parker apparently has a grand-daughter who is in her late teens?

Most of Millar's stuff is bad and sub-par but unfortunately, it sells well. About the only good superhero comics he wrote for Marvel is Marvel Knights Spider-Man and I think working on Spider-Man kept him in check. When allowed to let loose in Civil War, Old Man Logan, The Ultimates, and UXM, he sucks. And don't get me started about Red Son.

As far as Ashley Barton is concerned. I don't especially care who her grandmother is because I have no interest or curiosity about what Peter's fate and that of his supporting cast is in the world of OML. Don't especially care for her either as a character.

Right now there's a story called Old Man Quill set in the same universe, and they decided to show what happened to The Thing (https://www.cbr.com/old-man-quill-do...-throne-thing/). Maybe a later issue will have them discuss Spider-Man's corner.
    Given that it's set 50 years into the future, that's most likely not Matt Murdock in the Daredevil suit, but someone using the name and iconography as a symbol in defiance of the Kingpin. That being said, I do generally agree with you, and let's not forget about what happens when he doesn't have Marvel holding him back. His original/independent work is usually even more brutally nihilistic, or nihilistically brutal. Beyond that, I did enjoy his Marvel Knights Spider-Man, for much the same reasons as you said, and while Civil War was a good idea in theory, all it really did in practice was break the Marvel Universe in ways that never properly healed, mostly because we were supposed to accept characters that were supposed to be heroes engaging in blatantly fascistic acts that crossed all sorts of moral and ethical lines and then accept them being depicted as heroes again. Bridge too far for me, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathangoop1811 View Post
    She mentioned to having met her grandfather when she was little, that means that Peter could be alive, it would be interesting if they did a Old Man Spider, similar to Reign but without MJ dying because of having sex with Peter. Though I wonder who did Peter had childrens with.
    Well, the grandmother isn't MJ, that's for sure. Mom would be called May (Mayday) or Annie (Spiderling) in that case, not Tonya. Who was Peter's love interest at the time? Because it's probably meant to be her.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Aside from the Hulk stuff, I’d say Old Man Logan was pretty good.
    Ashley Barton was cool. I actually like how little we got to see of her, so we could fill in whatever happened next.

BANNED

What exactly is Millar trying to communicate by making Spider-Man's grand-daughter the child of Hawkeye (!). That by itself feels pretty random not to mention Hawkeye marrying a girl several years younger than him.

And what does Ashley Barton being a crimelord have anything to do with being Spider-Man. It just feels random and pointless. I mean yeah he wants to show how things have decayed and faded and so on...but there's no sense of connection and purpose to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, the grandmother isn't MJ, that's for sure. Mom would be called May (Mayday) or Annie (Spiderling) in that case, not Tonya. Who was Peter's love interest at the time? Because it's probably meant to be her.

C--Carlie Cooper... I don't think she was the mom....

The other potential candidates I could think about are Glory Grant and Lily Hollister. The last one looks random, but everything else about this universe is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    The other potential candidates I could think about are Glory Grant and Lily Hollister. The last one looks random, but everything else about this universe is.
    My sense is that Millar wanted this to be a self-contained thing and not the actual canonical future of Marvel so he did it in ways that are random and weird. Like Mysterio is a powerful illusionist sure but Wolverine has super senses and can smell, couldn't he have smelled who he was killing in that illusion triggered rampage. Mysterio as far as I know can't alter smells and his illusions are light tricks. Then why would Magneto form an alliance with Red Skull. They hate each other's guts. I guess Hulk being a villain is a reference to Wolverine's first appearance when he fought the Hulk. But if Old Man Logan survives that fight and he doesn't die, what is he trying to communicate. It's not some circular book-end thing.

Spectacular Member

A friend of mine suggested that considering all the random things in that universe the mother of Tonya is in fact Riri Williams, she has similar skin tone, both are intelligent, especially since Tonya works as a mecanic even able to fix Ultron, and Tonya sounds like Tony, so Riri could have named her daughter after her mentor.

BANNED

Riri Williams wasn't invented yet when Old Man Logan came out. And she's too young...and canonically Peter as is apparent when he gets appalled at Ock checking out college girls in his body and so on, is quite turned off by girls who aren't at the least his age.

My pick is Prowler's wife, Mindy MacPherson, who maybe turned to Peter after Hobie Brown died and so on.