Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm going to agree with a lot of other people's hates, but I'd also like to add in that I hate what they did with Emma's character. In Generation X we saw her grow, mature, and deal with her own demons. Then she got on the X-men and almost immediately went back to her old Hellfire personality with none of the growth.

Also the fact that grant really amped up the number of mutants everwhere, as well as making grotesque physical mutations appear to be the new norm really put marvel in a bind that wrecked the X-men to the point where they still haven't recovered from it.

Cassandra Nova is also a really horrible villain. Xavier's evil twin sister who's even more powerful than he is? People take that character seriously?
    I thought as you did in the beginning about Emma but I think they did it to contrast with Jean. i just think of it as she conquered her demons because she was with a younger generation of mutants but here she was with people she had wronged and had really seen her at her worst as a human being so she may have been on the defensive and I will always side with Jean in the cheating debate. I still like Emma and see her as a device that was used to break up the Scott/Jean pair. That's it.

With the very visible mutants I always imagine Morrison like a kid that just finally got a hold of Garbage Pail Kids cards and just went crazy.

I found it utterly unreadable. I don't understand why anyone likes it. It seems like modern art that everyone claims they like but no one can understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Horrible. Killed off 2 Cuckoo's, reducing the 5-in-one to triplets and having one of the girls fall for old man Xorneto. Yuck.
    But... he created them

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    For those that hated his run I hate to think what you thought of the rest of the X-Men run and especially what came after. The X-Men has never been as good as Grant Morrison's X-Men run. I wish one day we can get a super talented writer that can inject something fresh into the series while at the same time using classic elements from the X-Men history.

Morrison demonstrated that the X-Men could actually be good. It could be a quality comic book and not a dumpy superhero book with bad plots, bad dialogue, and a lot of cheesy moments. It could be a sci-fi book with high concepts. It could actually be about evolution. I loved his voice and I loved the layers and themes in his work. Yes he reuses a lot of themes (look at his other works or look no further than All Star Superman and compare to his X-Men run).

I was in college when Morrison's run was out. I couldn't wait to leave school and walk into town to purchase New X-Men. I was a huge Jean Grey fan (still am obviously) but I loved even issues where she did not appear. I loved the issue where she died.

I even enjoyed Scott and Emma's interaction. Before Morrison's run the X-Men had become stale and the Claremont revolution run was a mess (though I did love how he wrote Jean). Morrison gave the X-Men what they needed and it was quality and it was something the X-Men had been missing.

Of course this is just my opinion. On these very boards the book was controversial and there seemed to be two camps at the time : the kids who loved the book and thought they were the cool kids and those that hated it with a passion but loved/preferred Claremont's work.

The only negative thing about Grant's run is that at the time it ruined a lot of the older X-Men runs for me. I couldn't stand to read older X-Men comics. They seemed dated and poor quality. They were so lacking that it was distracting. As time has went on I can enjoy Claremont again and even the various 90's X-Men books. Of course at the present the X-Men feel like 90's part II (which is sad and frustrating but hopefully it will not last).
    *shakes head in disbelief* I'm fed up with this world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I thought as you did in the beginning about Emma but I think they did it to contrast with Jean. i just think of it as she conquered her demons because she was with a younger generation of mutants but here she was with people she had wronged and had really seen her at her worst as a human being so she may have been on the defensive and I will always side with Jean in the cheating debate. I still like Emma and see her as a device that was used to break up the Scott/Jean pair. That's it.

With the very visible mutants I always imagine Morrison like a kid that just finally got a hold of Garbage Pail Kids cards and just went crazy.
    I see it like this.

If everyone was in character Scott would've been traumatized by bonding with Apocalypse and be in need of therapy and mental recovery. Jean would've known that and put in major efforts to somehow account for that and probably enabled them both to go on sabattical for however long Scott needed to recover. Don't know enough about Emma to comment on how she would have acted.

As written no Scott was just being an adulterous asshole, no Jean was being uncharacteristically defeatist about their relationship and distracted by anything and everything else when they had so many friends and allies who could've filled in for them (like I dunno their daughter!) and Emma was either being self-indulgent, didn't give shit or else just outright knew Scott was vulnerable and wanted herself some of that so she went for that because she was horrible and gave 0 fucks. At which point these are OOC non-characters or collectively trash people I cannot care about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    I found it utterly unreadable. I don't understand why anyone likes it. It seems like modern art that everyone claims they like but no one can understand why.
    You nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Agree with this. I find It so boring for some reason. I hate the hole xorneto fiasco and Casandra Nova. And in the end nobody explored the idea that Jean pushed cyclops and Emma togeter.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Loved the first, second and last arc. Those were effin' crazy.

Other half of the run I found boring. Great ideas and character moments, just... a really, really not fun narrative.

Ultimate Member

I liked the idea of Cassandra Nova, only in that it spun off from the inevitable desire to turn Professor Xavier himself increasingly sinister, to instead embody an 'evil version' of him, *and* liked that it was a woman, since, other than Selene and Madelyne, the X-Men, could use more top tier lady villains. The execution of that idea? Not so much.

I liked the increase focus on Emma. Again, execution, not so much. Generation X managed to flesh her out just fine without retconning her into being a stripper with fake boobs and a fake accent that Shaw regularly beat, or tied her importance to 'being Scott's girlfriend.'

Xorn is Magneto is Xorn-pretending-to-be-Magneto-pretending-to-be-Xorn? Whatever. You have a black hole in your head that somehow explains your energy manipulation abilities? Pull the other one. 'Cause my left nut is a comet and it gives me the power to scoff at your nonsense.

And then Morrison gave us characters like Glob Herman and Quentin Quire, for which no forgiveness is possible.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I liked the idea of Cassandra Nova, only in that it spun off from the inevitable desire to turn Professor Xavier himself increasingly sinister, to instead embody an 'evil version' of him, *and* liked that it was a woman, since, other than Selene and Madelyne, the X-Men, could use more top tier lady villains. The execution of that idea? Not so much.

I liked the increase focus on Emma. Again, execution, not so much. Generation X managed to flesh her out just fine without retconning her into being a stripper with fake boobs and a fake accent that Shaw regularly beat, or tied her importance to 'being Scott's girlfriend.'

Xorn is Magneto is Xorn-pretending-to-be-Magneto-pretending-to-be-Xorn? Whatever. You have a black hole in your head that somehow explains your energy manipulation abilities? Pull the other one. 'Cause my left nut is a comet and it gives me the power to scoff at your nonsense.

And then Morrison gave us characters like Glob Herman and Quentin Quire, for which no forgiveness is possible.
    lol you cracked me up with the my left nut is a comet line.

BANNED

It's overrated, with some of the art amountin' to lil' more than hurried & lazy doodles, IMO. Conceptually, there's some serious OTT ridiculousness, like the origin of Cassandra Nova. FantomeX is not funny, even if ya get the joke. Weird for weird's sake, is not necessarily a good thing, see Xorneto. Shock & awe, lol. It wasn't a total loss, tho, just mostly.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 02-24-2019 at 04:02 AM.

The Good out weights the bad for me and the good for me looks like

The Good- Quentin Quire, Fantomex and Eva,Stepford Cuckoos,Angel Salvadore, X-men Leather X-suits, Cassandra Nova, Xorn,Negasonic Teenage Warhead,Secondary mutations, Jean/ Emma/Cyclops Love triangle, X-men as functioning school,Dust, John Sublime, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-men run, X-corporation.

I don't need to list bad because well this thread is going to have lots of that. I didn't hate the run but I didn't extremely love the run either but you have to recognize that whatever you think of the run it left behind tools and concepts that could be used by other writers.

Unglaublich!

Between GM and Chuck Austen, I actually stopped reading the X-titles! Quitely's art was.... weird (I'm looking at you, Emma's groin!) and some of Morrison's ideas were a bit bizarre.

It did nothing for me except steer me right away from the franchise that I'd grown up with. It'd be years before I came back.

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    Its horrible, he hates the franchise and tried his darndest to ruin it, the only people are are really into his run are Morrisonfans who hate everything that he hasn't written, it's like a cult
    lol, I'm a huge Morrison fan, although I don't like all of his work......I thought his X-Men run was hit/miss. Some great elements and storylines, while some of it was crap. I felt Whedon did a solid follow-up with his own run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The Good...

Stepford Cuckoos... Secondary mutations... X-men as functioning school, Dust... X-corp...

... left behind tools and concepts that could be used by other writers.
    I'll agree with these, to varying degrees.