All-New Member

Default Jumping on point for superman

Hey, brand new to comics and superman. Where do you recommend I start reading? Is there a good jumping on point?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

For Superman, the 'classic' easily-accessible recommendations would be Superman: Birthright and All-Star Superman. If you want to jump on the current books, the place is the recent The Man of Steel miniseries by Brian Bendis and a variety of artists, which was recently collected and kicks off the recent new Superman #1 by him and Ivan Reis, with Bendis also taking over Action Comics with #1001 alongside a number of artists; Superman is more a blockbuster sci-fi book while Action is more focused on Metropolis and the Daily Planet. Just know that shortly prior to Bendis coming onboard, there were two major changeups: Superman and Lois now have a son, Jon, who's about 10-11 at the opening of Man of Steel, and Jor-El seems to be revealed to have survived the death of Krypton and, really him or not (the evidence Superman's found points to it being true), he's on strained terms with his family.
    Buh-bye

For the character as a whole there are plenty of origins so you can pick and choose your favorite. My favorite origins are:
    Superman and the Men of Steel by Grant Morrison
    Man and Superman by Marv Wolfman
    Birthright by Mark Waid
    The current origin for the Superman in the monthly comic books is Secret Origin by Geoff Johns

If you want stories about Superman vs. Lex Luthor some of my favorites are:
    Luthor by Azzarelo
    The Black Ring by Paul Cornell
    Up, Up, and Away by Geoff Johns

If you want a story about Superman vs. Brainiac get the Brainiac by Geoff Johns trade.

If you want stories about Superman vs. Zod:
    Last Son by Geoff Johns
    New Krypton

If you want standalone Superman stories:
    Kingdom Come by Mark Waid
    All Star Superman by Grant Morrison
    Secret Identity by Kurt Busieck

If you want to read a modern “run” of Superman either read the New 52 Action Comics run by Grant Morrison, the Superman Rebirth run by Tomasi (skip Vol. 5), or the Rebirth Action Comics run by Dan Jurgens.

If you want to get up to date with where Supes is now, get The Man of Steel trade by Brian Bendis and then the vol. 1’s for Bendis Superman and Action Comics.

All-New Member

Ok great thank you both

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Totally stealing this from Reddit, but please follow this link. It's got a wealth of stories and a bit of information to lead you in a direction you may like.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/wi...ended/superman

The first section is for jumping on, providing a few origins and then some runs that are more contemporary to catch up. Credit to those who compiled the list, naturally, but it's a solid resource to get started.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The easiest thing I can think is if you get the Action Comics and Superman Rebirth deluxe collections if you want back story, but the newer collections with Bendis if you want to catch up. Which should be quick, because it's really just the Action Comics #1000 hardcover, Man of Steel 2018, and Superman vol 1. I suppose the Action Comics vol 1 trade is on the way.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

It depends what your taste is like. In some ways you could grab the Golden Age Omnibus. That's where it all began

Incredible Member

A) Go to comic book store, pick up an issue, start from there.

B) Go to whatever book store still has a comic book newsstand, pick up an issue, start from there.

C) Go to closest local Walmart of your area, pick up a Superman or/and Justice League of America, whatever title you like, 100-Page Giant, start from there.

I think anyone starting hobby today ought to consider going digital from the word go.

Beyond that, choice of first material depends heavily on taste. I'd suggest anybody drawn into hobby via animated series ought to consider the 1996 to 2002 Superman Adventures series. Very well written throughout, and a similar feel to animated series.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah I was gonna say, online really holds any best option over stores, with their less variable sales and selections, and occasional lack of convenience.

I wasn't that big on the cartoon but the Adventures comic fixed a lot of things and brought the comic book feel back into the equation. I wish I could feel comfortable selecting other media for a best of list, but I think the original format is still king.

Also if you ever want to delve, there's a ton mentioned in a sticky thread on this forum.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES