Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well. I want him to be written well.
    Yep. I was going to say “Better.”
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Amazing Member

On khundia in the 98734623th century: out of Diana's life

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serpis View Post
    On khundia in the 98734623th century: out of Diana's life
    Yep. Let Diana explore other love for a change.

They actually have tried. Not only that but Steve was not in her love life for a very long time. So isn’t not like he has a long history like Lois or Selina. We don’t get much of them so why explore other love when they have or just make her not be in a relationship

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

To be entirely honest with you? Independent. He's still written like a love interest from the '50s (needy and scornful when neglected due to their significant other's career) and that is what holds him back the most. Have him be a career man all his own who is secure with himself and his masculinity. Think he's not man enough because his girl saves him all the time? That's your problem, buddy. He thinks it's cool and she respects him just fine. Sure, he loves Diana and wants more time with her, but he's got his own things to do and if she's busy, he'll wait. For Christ's sake, she's Wonder Woman. He knows what that entails.

But instead, we need silly relationship drama and the best way to do that is have him nag her, I guess? Give him a hobby, make him an activist or something. I honestly don't know, but just make him a positive influence on Diana's life. Make the drama come from how both of them are so busy with their careers (perhaps Steve works a second job since Diana isn't actually making any money?) that they just don't get to see each other as much, but they enjoy the time they get. He should function as Diana's rock, so to speak, her lighthouse in the storm of superheroics she's always weathering.

Or get rid of the dude. He's never going to work as a character if his sole function is to whine about how the world's most virtuous, compassionate woman doesn't have enough time for him. He's a satellite character, one that revolves around her. If he's at all going to be worth Diana, he needs to be comfortable with that. Make Steve something of a modern dude, one who is comfortable letting machismo go in lieu of having a healthy relationship with his lady. One who understands he's with the world's most famous person and needs to share her with the world and one who has his own life to live as well. Write him as her partner and friend, not just a source of drama or someone to save.

That's what worked best about Pine in the movie as I remember him; he never once seemed uncomfortable with what Diana was capable of (he'd be surprised, but he got with the program pretty quick) and seemed to always try and support her, but he had his own stuff to do and when it was necessary, they split to do their own thing. Ultimately he had to ride off into the metaphorical sunset, but they found the right niche for Steve (and I don't mean the grave).
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-17-2019 at 09:33 PM.

I mean they did get rid of him as a love interest and barely a character after Perez used him. So he has been more used now. When Perez used him he was Etta’s husband. He didn’t appear often. After Perez run he didn’t pop up much if at all. There was no need really. Dc doesn’t know how to use him due to the fact he wasn’t being used a lot

This is why I feel maybe Diana should find a way to get money. She wants to learn about the world. There would have to be a way for her to make money

Going back to Steve’s hobbies Marston does give us some ideas what to do with him. He enjoyed cooking, music and enjoyed movies . Maybe he cooks for the needy?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I mean they did get rid of him as a love interest and barely a character after Perez used him. So he has been more used now. When Perez used him he was Etta’s husband. He didn’t appear often. After Perez run he didn’t pop up much if at all. There was no need really. Dc doesn’t know how to use him due to the fact he wasn’t being used a lot

This is why I feel maybe Diana should find a way to get money. She wants to learn about the world. There would have to be a way for her to make money

Going back to Steve’s hobbies Marston does give us some ideas what to do with him. He enjoyed cooking, music and enjoyed movies . Maybe he cooks for the needy?
    I mean he doesn't have much else to go on if you strip away his main reason for existing. Without his romantic entanglement to Diana, Steve is just part of the origin story that can be phased out when she gets to man's world.

Steve being a soup kitchen volunteer isn't a bad thing for him to do in his off time. He has certainly killed so I can imagine it allows him to do something that helps people with something he enjoys to assuage his guilt over taking lives. You can do something with that. Or don't. Just don't go about making him needy and nagging Diana. That's a surefire way to have the readership hate him.

Even in Marston's he wasn't that needy like they make him. Another was he liked helping his niece. So maybe he also works with at-risk youth. I don't know what it is wrong of me to have Steve get somewhat of a tough backstory? Nothing tragedy. Just rough. In many ways, DC main star romantic both hae similar connections and differences. One thing is Diana was born into a warrior culture. Why would Steve want to be a warrior? Should it be more for the adventure or to get a college degree? I mean Steve never killed an innocent person. However, that would be an interesting story. That Steve has his own vow of no killing if he doesn't need to?

Spectacular Member

What do we know about him so far ?

on a personal note :
    -he has a sister, a nefiew and a niece, unknown parents
    -he dated Diana 4 years before she breaks up with him because of fear
    -then it was an annoying will-they won't-they

more work related :
    -he very briefly was the pilot for team 7
    -he was the head of argus for a time
    -he assembled the first justice league dark because he hates magic and doesn't understand it
    -he assembled a team as a contingency against the justice league (JLA)

i probably forgot things but it's a pretty impressive resume for me.

Agreed but we don’t know anything he likes to do outside of work. Does he enjoy music. Why did he join the military?

Spectacular Member

Why do people join the military in the first place ? Usualy because they want to travel, to protect, to be of service,etc. It doesn't need to be a complicated or atypical reason.
    Actually i think it is better for Steve to have an ordinary reason to join the military because him being ordinary is what makes him interesting. He is just a guy doing what he can with what he has in a crazy world filled with people so powerful they can annihilate countries. And it's why Diana loves him.

As for does he enjoy music, is it really relevant to the general plot of the story ? If the story is about, for exemple a villain using music to control people, then yes you can develop this part of the character, same for Diana, but otherwise there is no need.

We have seen hobbies played into how to make the characters who 3D dimensional. A comic character like Steve is only ever given anything to be attached, Diana. Nothing outside of that many times. We have to see why Diana likes him. We see Diana doing fun stuff that just downtime. We see what Clark does when he isn't Superman. We see what Selina does when she isn't Catwoman or working. Steve does need to have just his military job. He has hobbies no doubt. To make him more rounded we need outside life, Steve.

Spectacular Member

We have seen hobbies played into how to make the characters who 3D dimensional. A comic character like Steve is only ever given anything to be attached, Diana. Nothing outside of that many times. We have to see why Diana likes him. We see Diana doing fun stuff that just downtime. We see what Clark does when he isn't Superman. We see what Selina does when she isn't Catwoman or working. Steve does need to have just his military job. He has hobbies no doubt. To make him more rounded we need outside life, Steve.
    We see Clark, or Selina or whatever principal characters do yes, but do we see what do Gordon, Perry White or what any secondary characters like Steve do ? I personaly didn't really pay close enough attention to it.
    You can explore the peaceful side of principal charaters because it is their book and they have more appearance. Secondary charaters don't have this luxury.
    We know Diana hobbies thanks to her interview with Lois Lane but you can forgot about having the same exposure for Steve unless it has a purpose storywise.
    I would love to, don't get me wrong, i love the character, but to explore that he would need his own book and i don't see that happening right now if ever.

Which is why I feel with how they at least have him have his own arc in Wonder Woman. I'm not saying he should win but with the knowledge, Diana had taught him. It would be cool if he learned a few tricks to hold back a few of her villains. Like he knows he isn't going to win against Cheetah but still gives her a tough time.

Spectacular Member

Which is why I feel with how they at least have him have his own arc in Wonder Woman. I'm not saying he should win but with the knowledge, Diana had taught him. It would be cool if he learned a few tricks to hold back a few of her villains. Like he knows he isn't going to win against Cheetah but still gives her a tough time.
    I probably said this somewhere (don't remember where exactly) but i feel like Steve is being framed in that arc. The recent annual issue with Paula von machinchose feeling betrayed by Diana, Steve doesn't feel like a vengefull character and the fact that on the cover Diana is angry and hiding herself with a hood, lead me to this (but hey i can be wrong)

About Cheetah, Steve beat her with wonder woman's lasso in the forever evil arc.