Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Donny Cates receives death threats for Venom #11

Donny Cates has received death threats for the faux cancer twist in Venom#11... from people who 'ship Eddie and the symbiote together

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/...0%2Fframe.html

Niffleheim

The pervasive nonsense of shippers continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Donny Cates has received death threats for the faux cancer twist in Venom#11... from people who 'ship Eddie and the symbiote together

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/...0%2Fframe.html
    This is just insane all around. And kind of perverse.

The idea of the symbiote and human having a romantic relationship is weird to begin with. However, to threaten someones life over it? What is wrong with people.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-24-2019 at 06:04 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

This is absurd on so many levels. Death threats are dumb, the comic didn't really break up Eddie & the symbiote, and even if it did, death threats aren't merited. I wonder if some people are trying to troll him, which would still be illegal with death threats.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

iMan 42s

I hate things like this because that's fucked up to do to a creator. Even the worst ones you don't do that and it's simply easier to make a point by not buying the book. If people have a problem with something they can simply choose not to give someone their money or voice criticism. It's that easy.

I also hate things like this because that also ruins the relationship between creator and audience. You can easily scorn some creators who may even then do things out of spite to said audience. We also exist in an environment where creators can speak directly with the audience and the critique is important to not only bettering the product but also learning how creative decisions are made. That's a privilege, not a right. People who send death threats spoil the whole thing for people who have legitimate issues with a book, those who want to tell them how good a book or decision was, want to know about how things are done, or simply just like being able to speak to the artist. It poisons the whole thing.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Amazing Member

There has to be something really wrong with someone for them to send death threats over stuff like comics. Toxic fandom needs to screw off. I follow Donny on Twitter and I can see how this garbage is going to sour his relation with fans. If people don’t like a book, just don’t read it. There’s no need to dog pile the creator with abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post

The idea of the symbiote and human having a romantic relationship is weird to begin with. However, to threaten someones life over it? What is wrong with people.
    careful. somebody around here is likely to angle towards labeling folks as symbiophobic..
    i don't relate to the ..... angles certain folks in certain fan genres are prone to be entrenched in.. it's turned me off to a lot of message boards in the multiverse..

This is just completely insane. Not only is sending the threats to him already completely terrible, but to do it because he's portraying their relationship as unstable.....when its never been all that stable, makes it even worse and far more stupider.

BANNED

Whether it be shippers or comicgaters, toxic fandom is the worse.

Sadly, the internet has only served to give these nuts a 24/7 platform on which to harass creators.

I admire any creator who has to deal with this kind of nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Whether it be shippers or comicgaters, toxic fandom is the worse.

Sadly, the internet has only served to give these nuts a 24/7 platform on which to harass creators.

I admire any creator who has to deal with this kind of nonsense.
    Yeah, I really dislike the culture those groups perpetuate. It just makes things less fun for everyone else.

Astonishing Member

Totally unacceptable

As a i said in the Marvel thread, bad but not unexpected, desth threats over fictional characthers are not ok.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Ridiculous.

I have read many comics over the years, and some have gone in stupid directions that I don’t agree with at all. Not once have I ever thought the creators deserved to die for this.

Grow up and just read something else.

Also, Cates is KILLING it on Venom. I’ve never had much of an interest for the character until this one. Their relationship makes sense. The complainers act as if they’d just like to see boring happy-endings issue by issue.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post

I could not possibly agree with you more. This is both unnerving and bizarre. I am disgusted by the entire incident.

Edit - On a related note I've experienced this sort of backlash from ardent shippers myself writing fanfics, all be it on a much smaller scale. For example when I floated the idea of an AU bisexual or gay Peter Parker on this very forum and in two of my fanfics in which I wanted to break up the main couple for a while to add drama. In the latter two cases, I was bombarded with messages cursing me for even thinking of doing so. I feel for Donny Cates I really do.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-24-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."