Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Whether it be shippers or comicgaters, toxic fandom is the worse.

Sadly, the internet has only served to give these nuts a 24/7 platform on which to harass creators.

I admire any creator who has to deal with this kind of nonsense.
    Yeah, no one deserves this and it ruins the fun for everyone. Hope Cates can overcome this.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, no one deserves this and it ruins the fun for everyone. Hope Cates can overcome this.
    It is doubly a shame because Cates work is the first time I've found Eddie Brock's version of Venom interesting in well over twenty years.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Speaking as someone who's generally run cold on Cates' Venom - not just for a lack of romantic expression (although that was what sealed the deal on how much I loved Mike Costa's run on the book) but for the regression of the overall Venom relationship to Eddie as the sympathetic victim and the symbiote as inherently untrustworthy, plus the digressions into another symbiote origin retcon nobody asked for - yeah, he doesn't deserve this crap. Nobody in his shoes would.

And let's be real - Cates will be done with the book in 2 years, tops. Single writer runs never last so long these days and he's an in-demand talent, probably already locked in for a main Avengers book down the line. Then another writer will get a shot and, who knows, it could be a shipper's paradise. It's comics, there's always a change on the horizon. Have a modicum of patience, and quit being the worst parts of the internet.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

In a way, the symbiote doing what it did to Eddie can be considered the result of the deep psychological/emotional trauma triggered by the first time it was rejected by a host it truly loved and wanted to be with forever. I speak, of course, of Peter Parker, the Spider-Man of many descriptors and adjectives. To wit, when Peter rejected it, what did it do? It tried to force itself onto Peter, first by refusing to separate and clinging tighter to him, then by tricking him into thinking it was his regular costume so he'd put it back on. While it ultimately yielded to Peter's wish to be separated when Peter proved he'd rather die than remain bonded, that left lasting emotional and psychological wounds in the symbiote, which learned from that experience that it would have to make sure its future hosts would be less inclined to reject it. Hence, tampering with Eddie's memories and biochemistry so he'd think he had terminal cancer that only the symbiote could keep at bay. The revelation of what the symbiote has been doing to keep Eddie bonded with it isn't that much of a curveball, in retrospect.

All that being said, while I can sympathize with the discontent of those who loved "Symbrock" --- as the shipping name for Eddie and the Venom symbiote goes --- in its more positive depictions, I definitely do not agree with death threats being sent Cates's way. That's no way to act or react to something you don't like in fiction, and that kind of thing ruins the whole experience for everybody.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

This is a little sick for a twist, but I believe people are exaggerating. I mean, back when they did the "Superior Spider-Junk", I could understand it to certain point. But in comparation, this is not such a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    In a way, the symbiote doing what it did to Eddie can be considered the result of the deep psychological/emotional trauma triggered by the first time it was rejected by a host it truly loved and wanted to be with forever. I speak, of course, of Peter Parker, the Spider-Man of many descriptors and adjectives. To wit, when Peter rejected it, what did it do? It tried to force itself onto Peter, first by refusing to separate and clinging tighter to him, then by tricking him into thinking it was his regular costume so he'd put it back on. While it ultimately yielded to Peter's wish to be separated when Peter proved he'd rather die than remain bonded, that left lasting emotional and psychological wounds in the symbiote, which learned from that experience that it would have to make sure its future hosts would be less inclined to reject it. Hence, tampering with Eddie's memories and biochemistry so he'd think he had terminal cancer that only the symbiote could keep at bay. The revelation of what the symbiote has been doing to keep Eddie bonded with it isn't that much of a curveball, in retrospect...
    Although there is one thing narratively I don't quite understand. If Eddie never had terminal cancer why did he almost die, or at least waste away so badly, once they permanently separated after he auctioned the suit off? Maybe a retcon?

BANNED

Something like this has happened to me as well.
    While i haven't received death threats, i did received a lot remarks regarding my sexuality and my ability to draw which was compromised thanks to the microsyrgery i had recently.
    A few months after i released my Sorrow Princess novel i received a message on my FB messenger asking how is is possible for a queer writer to release straight romance novels.
    I most recent reply i received due to the upcoming release of The Scarlet Fighter novel stated that i shouldn't touch shonen territory because i might soil the genre. The Scarlet Fighter has many shonen elements.
    Recently, i dropped FB because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    While i haven't received death threats, i did received a lot remarks regarding my sexuality and my ability to draw which was compromised thanks to the microsyrgery i had recently.
    A few months after i released my Sorrow Princess novel i received a message on my FB messenger asking how is is possible for a queer writer to release straight romance novels.
    I most recent reply i received due to the upcoming release of The Scarlet Fighter novel stated that i shouldn't touch shonen territory because i might soil the genre. The Scarlet Fighter has many shonen elements.
    You have my sincerest sympathy. People can be so cruel when you put yourself out there as a creator in any capacity.

Ridiculous BS like this why it falls to the "Why Fandom Can't have nice things" trope with behaviour like this.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    You have my sincerest sympathy. People can be so cruel when you put yourself out there as a creator in any capacity.
    Thank you so much!!
    It was a extremely traumatic experience that micro syrgery, especially when the doctor told me that i should forget the full time artist thing and limit to one or two scetches a week and having a couple of ass hats telling methat i am a talentless moron that embarassses himself.

On the other front, i just can't believe how much of cruelty exists against homosexuals, especially the one who try to express their thoughts on a novel. Especially since they haven't red the dawn thing.

Why i will soil on the shonen genre? I can't understand it!
    Last edited by Minerboh; 02-24-2019 at 09:15 PM.

i'm sorry to hear that, nobody deserves what you had to go through

as someone who's work is also in the public sphere, i've had some horrible online treatment (a hate website created with photos of my face photoshopped). which is why when people here asked me specifically for names of people and projects i've worked with, i declined. doxxing is becoming a real problem these days

this venom business is not just wrong, it's straight up pathetic
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i'm sorry to hear that, nobody deserves what you had to go through

as someone who's work is also in the public sphere, i've had some horrible online treatment (a hate website created with photos of my face photoshopped). which is why when people here asked me specifically for names of people and projects i've worked with, i declined. doxxing is becoming a real problem these days

this venom business is not just wrong, it's straight up pathetic
    Disgusting! You should sue them.
    You have my moral support if that's any comfort!

Disgusting! You should sue them.
    You have my moral support if that's any comfort!
    likewise

it's a strange world where people wish to hurt others who have done nothing to them
    troo fan or death

I am so sorry that happened to you.

What the hell is wrong with people, who takes time out of their day to do this