Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do we need to keep Diana’s sales number stable?

Diana’s numbers can going very low to meh. Is there any way to keep them at least not going number so much? Or is rebirth a better sale for her recently ? I know previous writers can affect another writers sale.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

It's not really up to the fans. If fans aren't liking the direction of the book, DC needs to act on that sooner than later. So far Wilson's run has been boring to average at best. Her Ares was a disappointment compared to Perez and Jimenez's use of the character. Wilson should have used this opportunity to show how dire a threat the "God of War" can be by having Diana call in Donna, Hessia, Cassie, and the Justice League. She could have even had Ares kill someone close to Diana like Helena Sandsmark, Zola, or that Inspector from Rucka's first run. The stories haven't been "epic" and universe-impacting in the least bit so far. I'm hoping the Giganta arc will change my mind about Wilson's writing capabilities.

Cory Nord's art has been lackluster to say the least. It's cartoony and inconsistent plus Diana looks like she has an eating disorder. I like my Diana to have muscles and be on the lower end of "bulky". Not fat, just well toned with some noticeable muscles in her arms and legs.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Iconic heroes make for good stories but iconic villains are what make for long running franchises. They need more consistent editorial control of her villains. Her supporting cast also needs work as far as consistency.

I think another issue is how small they generally use her rogue. It either Ares, Cheetah or Circe. I mean it's been a while since we have others.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I think another issue is how small they generally use her rogue. It either Ares, Cheetah or Circe. I mean it's been a while since we have others.

That's a large part of it as well. Recent WW writers have gotten into a cookie-cutter mind-set of having her fight mostly gods and other threats from public domain. These characters are less unique and not really "own-able" by Diana. As time goes by and characters with potential like Dr. Psycho, Queen Clea, Silver Swan, Dr. Poison, Aegeus, Gundra, Osira, Zara, Kung, Eviless, Baron Blitzkreig, The Mask, Minister Blizzard, Blue Snowman, and Angle Man sit in limbo and collects dust, the less likely they are to be brought back and made into credible threats.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I don't know that anything can be done to keep sales on the Wonder Woman title closer to where they should be (in the fans eyes). For all the waffling DC does with her direction, they *have* tried going with what seems to be a tried-and-true formula for other characters - that being a well known creative team. But for some reason the sales drop exponentially after a few issues, and she's back to where she usually is sales wise. I'm finally beginning to think that Diana may simply be too niche a character/concept to appeal to the drooling masses that will fork out money for multiple Deadpool books every month...

On a side note, I recently re-read William Messner-Loebs run (which I try to do every 2-3 years), and I feel he's one of the last writers to truly try and move her forward. Granted, many fans at the time didn't like his direction (many still don't!), but he managed to take the foundation Perez laid and grow upon it. He didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater the way John Byrne, Eric Luke, Walt Simonson, Brian Azzarello, Allan Heinberg, et al. tried to do.

Not enough people appreciated what he was doing at the time, but he successfully navigated the "illusion of change" while maintaining just enough consistency with what came before. And I think everyone agrees that consistency is something Diana's been lacking for a very long time.

/rant
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I don't know that anything can be done to keep sales on the Wonder Woman title closer to where they should be (in the fans eyes). For all the waffling DC does with her direction, they *have* tried going with what seems to be a tried-and-true formula for other characters - that being a well known creative team. But for some reason the sales drop exponentially after a few issues, and she's back to where she usually is sales wise. I'm finally beginning to think that Diana may simply be too niche a character/concept to appeal to the drooling masses that will fork out money for multiple Deadpool books every month...

On a side note, I recently re-read William Messner-Loebs run (which I try to do every 2-3 years), and I feel he's one of the last writers to truly try and move her forward. Granted, many fans at the time didn't like his direction (many still don't!), but he managed to take the foundation Perez laid and grow upon it. He didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater the way John Byrne, Eric Luke, Walt Simonson, Brian Azzarello, Allan Heinberg, et al. tried to do.

Not enough people appreciated what he was doing at the time, but he successfully navigated the "illusion of change" while maintaining just enough consistency with what came before. And I think everyone agrees that consistency is something Diana's been lacking for a very long time.

/rant
    What drooling masses? Comic books die a lottle bit more in sales everyday. Wonder Woman's potential and appeal is seen in her merchandise sales, her TV show, her hit film, etc. Her comics need consistency in terms of writing and editorial work.

She needs her own personal editor. Who would be good? I don't know but maybe Renae De Liz. Another issue is her supporting cast is never interesting or too much changes to get into. I mean what happened to Etta?

Eh, I care less about the stability of the comic title than I do getting a good story I can get into. I'd rather see her get more minis, one shots, Elseworlds, maxiseries, and so forth, because a lot of the time that sort of thing often produces more classic stories and evergreens. My current favorite Wonder Woman story isn't canon and wasn't part of the main title for example.

Diana’s numbers can going very low to meh. Is there any way to keep them at least not going number so much? Or is rebirth a better sale for her recently ? I know previous writers can affect another writers sale.
    The last time sales were great was during Rebirth, Greg Rucka had a formula that worked they should go back to.

good art and writing + classic supporting cast + government spy organization + several ongoing mysteries + multiple classic villains + mythology mixed with the mundane + strong Wonder Woman feats + social commentary +humor + confident, capable and shirtless Steve Trevor = High Sales

Seriously Rucka had a way of using 4 or 5 villains at once and that kept things interesting but the hook was the underlying mysteries that got you invested in his stories and coming back for more pieces of the puzzle.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The last time sales were great was during Rebirth, Greg Rucka had a formula that worked they should go back to.

good art and writing + classic supporting cast + government spy organization + several ongoing mysteries + multiple classic villains + mythology mixed with the mundane + strong Wonder Woman feats + social commentary +humor + confident, capable and shirtless Steve Trevor = High Sales

Seriously Rucka had a way of using 4 or 5 villains at once and that kept things interesting but the hook was the underlying mysteries that got you invested in his stories and coming back for more pieces of the puzzle.
    I think Wilson is similar to Rucka in terms of pacing. Her issues all read well in one sitting. Not quite as well as his, but I remember the pacing being an issue, especially for the Lies and the Truth when they were coming out. I imagine his first run was even worse as it was coming out. Plus we have Ares, Veronica and soon Giganta, hopefully she will keep that up.

But Wilson is being let down in the art department compared to him. He had Sharp, Scott and Evley. I'd give almost anything to have had them remain on the book (not enough to give up the Green Lantern, Black Magick and the Dreaming though), or comparable artists. The alternating timeline and stories worked in his and the arts favor, but I cannot imagine such an approach would be sustainable for Wilson's artists, whoever they may be.

How many issues does she have? I'm still a bit hopeful.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Consistent quality of art and writing would help the sales stability. Also, some "event" storyline to bump the book sales every now and then.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-04-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

The book generally doesn't impress me enough to buy it when I pick it up. Lost of things can help

Creative team
    Supporting Cast
    Villains

I hate the idea that she has never returned to Paradise Island after leaving it initially. That really wipes out most of her history.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

How many issues does she have? I'm still a bit hopeful.
    Wilson hasn't indicated that she was on for a short tenure. I don't think she's planning on leaving any time soon. Editorial shake ups are another story.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The book generally doesn't impress me enough to buy it when I pick it up. Lost of things can help

Creative team
    Supporting Cast
    Villains

I hate the idea that she has never returned to Paradise Island after leaving it initially. That really wipes out most of her history.
    I think her history has been so thoroughly wiped clean at this point that even if Rebirth hadn't made Themyscira inaccessible, it's impossible to get all of it back. I think she has plenty of underdeveloped supporting characters and villains in Man's World that provide plenty of stories between her departure and however her quest in Wilson's run ends. Use the missing years to beef up her rogues gallery instead of focusing on the Amazons or Gods.