Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Donny Cates and fandom

4CA15CDA-8D62-48F0-B071-C4265DD5A43E.jpg

I just get so much second-hand embarrassment when I see stuff like this. I love my favorite characters. There are some months when I spend over $50 on comics. But fictional characters are never, ever more important than real, live people and their safety. I’ll never understand why anyone thinks it’s okay to do stuff like this to creators (or anyone). Even though I have a Twitter and a Facebook I sometimes think social media was a mistake.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 02-24-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Why is he getting death threats?

People need to get over themselves, especially when it comes to works of fiction. Nothing more pathetic than sending death threats over fictional characters.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

This stuff happens because people have warped perspectives on character ownership and basically everything, so when they get upset about things that are supposed to be upsetting they view it as a pesonal wrong and feel a need to retaliate against a perceived aggressor. Or when they have a broader perspective about how stories work, but don't know how to efficiently channel their feelings in a healthy way in appropriate spaces, so they get emotional and harass others instead of seeing the more efficient ways to express themselves or promote change. Or they're assholes who just don't consider the person on the other end. So TL;DR-- People being dumb or assholes, often combined to form dumb assholes.

It's sad to see in Cates' case especially, because I love his catering to die-hard fans with his little cult and all that.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Look, sending death threats because you didn't get what you want.

I'm not saying you can't critique a work for feel disappointed for not getting what you want, but death threats? Really? Have we learned nothing from what happened in the Star Wars fandom?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Why is he getting death threats?
    From what I understand, it's because he doesn't romanticize the relationship between Eddie Brock and the Venom symbiote to actual romantic levels (it's a shipping thing), nor does he portray Eddie and the symbiote meeting and becoming Venom as an inherently great thing. I think a lot of this is fed by the recent movie, which changed their dynamic to more about two kindred spirits meeting and becoming essentially the best thing to happen to them, with them being Venom only having positive consequences for the world at large as they save it. Contrast this to the actual books, where they were often a negative force, killing people and making the world more dangerous as their relationship was built on a shared delusion and hatred for Spider-Man.

Oh. It's a case of people being upset about non-movie synergy that's more concerned about actual continuity. Ironic.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Disapointing, but not unexpected. Some fans are incredibly awfull, honestly i had being pissed with the decissions of many writers over the years but i would never approve this kind of behavior.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    From what I understand, it's because he doesn't romanticize the relationship between Eddie Brock and the Venom symbiote to actual romantic levels (it's a shipping thing), nor does he portray Eddie and the symbiote meeting and becoming Venom as an inherently great thing. I think a lot of this is fed by the recent movie, which changed their dynamic to more about two kindred spirits meeting and becoming essentially the best thing to happen to them, with them being Venom only having positive consequences for the world at large as they save it. Contrast this to the actual books, where they were often a negative force, killing people and making the world more dangerous as their relationship was built on a shared delusion and hatred for Spider-Man.

Oh. It's a case of people being upset about non-movie synergy that's more concerned about actual continuity. Ironic.
    Honestly, he portrayed their relationship as i always saw it, althougth if does bring some question about continuity for me (like if the symbiot was like this, why he abandoned Eddie for good two times).
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I feel a migraine coming on.

Some people take things too far.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

A thread about this is also over in the Spider-Man section:

Astonishing Member

Totally unacceptable

I had no idea there were so many Venom/Eddie shippers. Heck, I didn't even know that was a thing.

Checked the Donny Cates tag on tumblr and of course, people are blaming the writer.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I said this in the other thread...

But it's weird and perverse behavior.

It doesn't describe the fanbase as a whole but whats worse about it is that these type of things are getting more and more press making Comic Fandom as a whole look bad.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Honestly, he portrayed their relationship as i always saw it, althougth if does bring some question about continuity for me (like if the symbiot was like this, why he abandoned Eddie for good two times).
    Pretty much this. Look at what the symbiote tried to do to the first host it loved, insofar as it could experience that emotion. When said host made it clear that he didn't desire to be permanently bonded to the symbiote, the symbiote tried to force itself on him twice, first literally and then by trickery, making him think it was just his regular costume so he'd put it back on. The only way it was convinced to back off was by the host being willing to basically kill himself rather than remain bonded for good, and even then, its anger at being rejected led it to Eddie Brock, whose own unrelated anger and resentment toward the very host that rejected the symbiote was a near-perfect match that enabled them to merge into Venom. Won't get into how it treated its later hosts after Eddie finally had enough, or the complex dynamics with Flash Thompson as its host, but suffice to say, the symbiote has never really had a healthy dynamic with its hosts, not even the ones it actually does love.

All that being said, while I can understand the discontent of fans who don't like how the symbiote's relationship with Eddie Brock is being depicted, I definitely do not agree with sending death threats Donny Cates's way for it. That's just wrong and messed up and acting or reacting like that only ruins the experience for everybody.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

It's always good to step away from the things you love every now and then; if not, then you end up like these psychotics.

Simply stop reading it, and read the stories you have loved in the past and wait until the creator finishes their run.

The sense of entitlement in fandoms across the board is reaching embarrassingly high levels.