Extraordinary Member

Default Doflamingo vs. Katakuri

Now, I know that most people will think that Katakuri is superior to Doffy, and they're probably right. But since both their defeats at Luffy's hands has some noticeable caveats I feel like there could still be some value in discussing how they stack up to one another.

Their power sets are quite different and they've both more or less completely mastered them and they have excellent haki abilities. So at least I don't think it would be a curbstomp.

So yeah, how does Doffy actually do against Katakuri?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

This is a tough match to call.

Donflamingo is really tough and hard to kill. Katakuri seemed to be the somewhat more oppressive powerhouse though.

I'd back Donflamingo.

That's pretty much a gut feeling call.

Extraordinary Member

Doffy does have a far greater reach with his threads and can play keep-away thanks to his "flight".

In a pure power battle Katakuri should have the upper hand since he was more readily able to duke it out with Gear 4th Luffy. And he's precog should let him dodge most of Doffy's attacks until he starts turning the arena around them into threads.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

hmmmm.

tough call.

i think i could give it to katakuri due to his more versatile, better physical stats and pre-cog. but just barely.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

It's extra-tricky due to the fact that Doflamingo was suturing himself up from Law fatally shredding his insides with that Gamma Knife technique before Luffy ever brought out Gear Fourth.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, Doflamingo's fight had a couple of caveats on it, such as him being hurt from Law's Gamma knife plus part of his attention was focused on the Birdcage.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    hmmmm.

tough call.

i think i could give it to katakuri due to his more versatile, better physical stats and pre-cog. but just barely.
    Katakuri's main problem would be actually being able to reach Doflamingo since he can sorta fly and is smart enough to recognise that he's probably not winning a pure power duke out here.
    Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Yeah, Doflamingo's fight had a couple of caveats on it, such as him being hurt from Law's Gamma knife plus part of his attention was focused on the Birdcage.
    And the Katakuri fight had the caveat that he would've won the fight if he'd finished Luffy off instead of following his donut schedule.

Luffy had to take breaks in both fights, but Katakuri was better off as that point than Doffy was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Katakuri's main problem would be actually being able to reach Doflamingo since he can sorta fly and is smart enough to recognise that he's probably not winning a pure power duke out here.

And the Katakuri fight had the caveat that he would've won the fight if he'd finished Luffy off instead of following his donut schedule.

Luffy had to take breaks in both fights, but Katakuri was better off as that point than Doffy was.
    are there clouds in the arena for him to do that, though?

Honestly, I'm leaning slightly toward Katakuri because of his future vision observation haki and his logia- I mean "special" paramecia devil fruit. Even though it's basically a logia in form and function, but it's not called a logia because... I don't know. It was even originally called a logia before they changed it.

Hell, they should just get rid of logia classification and call all of them "special" paramecia, since paramecia can apparently mean anything, even what are basically goddamn logias.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

are there clouds in the arena for him to do that, though?
    ...*chuckles*

I'd never thought we need to consider the weather condition of a rumble. It's funny in a way.

As the thread starter I'm gonna say that there's about as many clouds as there was over Dressrosa during that whole shebang. That allows Doffy to fight to his full potential and that's the Doffy I want to see against Katakuri.

Now, I don't think that it's impossible for Katakuri to overcome the range. It's just one of the bigger obstacles for him in this fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Honestly, I'm leaning slightly toward Katakuri because of his future vision observation haki and his logia- I mean "special" paramecia devil fruit. Even though it's basically a logia in form and function, but it's not called a logia because... I don't know. It was even originally called a logia before they changed it.

Hell, they should just get rid of logia classification and call all of them "special" paramecia, since paramecia can apparently mean anything, even what are basically goddamn logias.
    Say what.

*looks it up*

Huh, weird. Is it because he's mochi and that's not an element quite like the actual logias?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    ...*chuckles*

I'd never thought we need to consider the weather condition of a rumble. It's funny in a way.

As the thread starter I'm gonna say that there's about as many clouds as there was over Dressrosa during that whole shebang. That allows Doffy to fight to his full potential and that's the Doffy I want to see against Katakuri.

Now, I don't think that it's impossible for Katakuri to overcome the range. It's just one of the bigger obstacles for him in this fight.

Say what.

*looks it up*

Huh, weird. Is it because he's mochi and that's not an element quite like the actual logias?
    i think it's due to katakuri actually have to actively turn parts of his body into mochi that makes him different from a actually logia, as opposed to just not really having his body turn into mochi on his own. it's what luffy sussed out when he was fighting him and noted that even with haki, he still had a hard time hitting him.

i think it's due to katakuri actually have to actively turn parts of his body into mochi that makes him different from a actually logia, as opposed to just not really having his body turn into mochi on his own. it's what luffy sussed out when he was fighting him and noted that even with haki, he still had a hard time hitting him.
    From what I remember, logias have to turn their bodies into their element so can be caught unaware by sneak attacks. Guys like Crocodile and almost certainly Admirals like Aokiji, Akainu, and Kizaru just train themselves to the point they transform reflexively when struck.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Mighty Member

Probably a curbstomp.

Doflamingo is slower, less durable, cannot even start to harm his opponent (because 1) he cannot get around Katakuri's fake logia bullshit and 2) even if he could, Katakuri's armament is greater than that of Gear 4, which Doflamingo couldn't even scratch to begin with) and even if he flies away, probably gets shot down by a thousand mochi bullets.

Katakuri leaves knowing that he has been in a fight, but has so many advantages across the board that is almost unthinkable that he could lose this.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

How do you come to him being less durable? Doffy took Gamma Knife and being punched across cities and the like and kept on trucking. He's really physically durable.

Heck, him being significantly slower is something I'd doubt as well. Katakuri is hard to hit due to his pre-cog. His actual speed wasn't anything particularly special in the gamut of New World Big Bads Luffy has thrown down with. I'm confident Doffy could throw out big enough AoE stuff to mess with his jam.

The durability is fair point. Katakuri's armament was wild.

EDIT: I have been drinking and I realised I soft answered my own question.

I meant more, Doffy has a ridiculously good soak and ability to keep trucking rather a similarly high durability stat to beat. Soak vs Bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    From what I remember, logias have to turn their bodies into their element so can be caught unaware by sneak attacks. Guys like Crocodile and almost certainly Admirals like Aokiji, Akainu, and Kizaru just train themselves to the point they transform reflexively when struck.
    exactly. and katakuri was instead just turned parts of his body into mochi and just moving out of the way. when luffy was in gear 4th, he noted that he was using armament haki, which should be able to hit him even if he was a logia. then he sussed out that he was using his observation haki to predict where he would hit and simply turned himself into mouth to move out of the way.