Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    really?
    Because some people here hate some characters or fans like they did some horrible to them and don't shut up about it.

Nothing mature about it. The people that understand this is fiction don't act like that
    lol it might not be mature but it's fun

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    really?
    Because some people here hate some characters or fans like they did some horrible to them and don't shut up about it.

Nothing mature about it. The people that understand this is fiction don't act like that
    I think that just again plays into the entertainment element. Some people find some things entertaining or insulting. Depending on what it is. And they can be more abrasive if it's something they just can't get on board with, but it's constantly thrown in their face.And it effects them being able to enjoy the story or direction, and here we get a lot of venting frustrations. lol

Again, I think some are more passionate or abrasive in how they express themselves on the forum, but that doesn't mean they aren't aware of the characters being fictional. According Bill Maher, who recently stated that anyone who even reads comics is still a child living in fantasy land. According to him, real adults are not interested in superheroes. He lost a lot of social media followers, then says he's better without them because they were clearly children if they disagreed. Isn't that a Hell of an assumption just because of a form of entertainment someone likes?

People are interested & invested in different things. And some will be more passionate than others. Whether it's invested in a story, a job, a relationship, etc. But again, I do think it best not to make personal judgment that they can't separate fiction from reality, like BM, it's just a heck of an assumption to make based on their expression of like or dislike of a character or story.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-28-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Nah, not really. I still don't take X-Men books written post 2000 seriously. For as bad as folks think bad about the 90s, some of the more recent stuff is like 10 times worse.
    Exactly. The 90s was just a transitional period, where the X-Men books were trying to find their footing and carry on without Claremont, who had shaped, guided, and controlled the franchise for the previous two decades. Yet and still, it STILL felt like the X-Men, like a legit continuation of the previous two decades of work that Claremont had established and presided over. But by the time 2000 rolled around, they were so eager to make the X-Men feel like something "new," "modern," and completely different from the Claremont stuff, that they basically ruined the X-Men and they still haven't recovered since.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

With almost all the x-characters, my x-opinions/feeelings haven't really changed from when I first started.
    I'm still quite apathetic toward Wolverine. I still find the O5 interesting...yes, even Beast. Storm remains my all-time favourite...regardless of the severe character regression by recent writers (that BP writer is trash).
    With respect to Emma, specifically...I absolutely loved her as HFC Bitch Queen. Then I absolutely loved her as Gen-X Headmistress...as the transition from villain to HM was pretty logical and seamless. Then Frhaction happened and I vehemently loathed Diamond-Trophy-Girlfriend and ignored that trash completely and most everything that came thereafter. Where she stands right now as HFC's Black King is not entirely new but certainly interesting, conceptually and I'm all for it. Having said that though, I really don't trust the writers and editors to stick that landing. Hopefully they prove me wrong.
    I'm just waiting for writers and editors to do something interesting, engaging, original and note-worthy with these characters.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I used to think that the X-Men franchise produced some of the best superhero comics of all time. That isn't, and has never been true. After around Fifty years of publication there are definitely some good comics in there, but most of them are utterly forgettable in isolation if not terrible.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Nah, not really. I still don't take X-Men books written post 2000 seriously. For as bad as folks think bad about the 90s, some of the more recent stuff is like 10 times worse. I honestly think losing the CCA was a bad thing for Marvel comics. I still can't get over that a character like Stacy X was allowed to exist.
    Amen. I've tried honestly, many times and I just can't.

Part of me feels like the problem stems from the establishing of the school. It made it so we have way too many X-Men nowadays. There were a lot before but they always did a good job of giving everyone their fair share.

The expansion of the roster wouldn't be as big of an issue if writers and editors weren't obsessed with reviving every single character except for Thunderbird and Mastermind.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Exactly. The 90s was just a transitional period, where the X-Men books were trying to find their footing and carry on without Claremont, who had shaped, guided, and controlled the franchise for the previous two decades. Yet and still, it STILL felt like the X-Men, like a legit continuation of the previous two decades of work that Claremont had established and presided over. But by the time 2000 rolled around, they were so eager to make the X-Men feel like something "new," "modern," and completely different from the Claremont stuff, that they basically ruined the X-Men and they still haven't recovered since.
    It’s hard to disagree with this. I think for all his faults, and they were many, Bob Harras loved and “got” the X-Men in a way that Quesada never did.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

And following up on the Bob Harras thing, I used to hate the man for driving Claremont away, and that’s indeed a sin which he should never be forgiven for.

But he had an undeniable talent for nurturing and creating superstar artists. To this day, comics' top talent, from Jim Lee to Greg Capullo, from Tony Daniel to Joe Madureira, and countless others, got their big break from Harras' office.