Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Honestly, the whole point of Captain America's opposition to the registration act back in Civil War was that he didn't believe the U.S. government could be trusted not to abuse superheroes. Two decades earlier in real-time years, Steve Rogers actually quit being Cap because the U.S. government wanted him to fight in morally dubious conflicts that he didn't believe were in the best interests of the American people. He had no problem then standing up to the U.S. government on those occasions, knowing that it was asking him to violate his morals and ethics and would do the same to any superheroes or superhumans it recruited or otherwise compelled to work for it. Thus, it begs the question of why he (and the Avengers by extension) couldn't or wouldn't stand up for mutants who were living proof that the U.S. government couldn't be trusted to do the right thing where superhumans were concerned, especially on the principle that, as Civil War proved, "They may come for us [mutants] now, but they will come for you [rest of the superhero/superhuman population] next."
    Because...comic book drama.

It's really that simple. People read into these things a bit much sometimes.

Plus, add in all the various writers across the years, that have different voices that they give to the various characters. When one accounts for such things, they can rest easier.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

House of M ? I really liked that scrappy Human team led by Luke Cage.

BANNED

It's been done. It was called the onslaught arc.

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    Nah. Because if they related to what mutants go through, they wouldn't be Avengers anymore. They'd be X-Men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Frankly, that's what Uncanny Avengers should be. Bring it back and let them actually try to fulfil their mission statement of making Xavier's dream of human-mutant equality a reality.
    I would love to see the “normal” population turn on the Avengers like they do the X-Men. Why the purifiers hate Wolverine but are cool with Thor blows my mind. Thor should register as a false idol on their radar. Hell they should hate the Avengers simply for letting mutants on the team.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    The Avengers did see what the X-Men go through, once. And they got wiped out.

But I don’t disagree, with the one condition that the X-Men have to experience every world/universe-threatening event the Avengers deal with. And at that point, we constantly have X-Men in Avengers books and vice versa. And we don’t call the books “X-Men” books or “Avengers” books, we just call them “super hero” books.

Okay, that very last point was a bit disingenuous.

This all begs the question: how often do you want the Avengers showing up in X-Books? If my assumption is correct (aka “not that often, if at all”), then I can almost guarantee that people want the X-Men showing up in Avengers books just as often.

Could/should there be a true “Uncanny Avengers” book, and was the first and second volumes (didn’t really read the third) a failure to this effect? Yes to both.
    Volume 3 also failed. It was a decent Avengers book, but they spent a lot of time dealing with Red Skull and Hydra Cap. When the Red Skull storyline was resolved, Duggan left the book... and Zub's brief run basically just served to set up No Surrender.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I would love to see the “normal” population turn on the Avengers like they do the X-Men. Why the purifiers hate Wolverine but are cool with Thor blows my mind. Thor should register as a false idol on their radar. Hell they should hate the Avengers simply for letting mutants on the team.
    The closest we've gotten to that would be the time of Civil War, when all superheroes were in the crosshairs of the general public over the debacle in Stamford, whether they were mutants or not, and the government seized upon that to push the SHRA. The X-Men as a whole chose not to get involved, reasoning that it wasn't like other superheroes cared when it was mutants being targeted by a registration act, or when mutant children were among the dead from attacks that killed immense numbers of innocents.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The closest we've gotten to that would be the time of Civil War, when all superheroes were in the crosshairs of the general public over the debacle in Stamford, whether they were mutants or not, and the government seized upon that to push the SHRA. The X-Men as a whole chose not to get involved, reasoning that it wasn't like other superheroes cared when it was mutants being targeted by a registration act, or when mutant children were among the dead from attacks that killed immense numbers of innocents.
    Yeah I agree Civil War was the closest thing to this we’ve seen. It still doesn’t feel the same to me as what the X-Men go through because there were still heroes the public accepted. I want to see a group like the purifiers take on the Avengers. Just a group that hates them for simply existing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Yeah I agree Civil War was the closest thing to this we’ve seen. It still doesn’t feel the same to me as what the X-Men go through because there were still heroes the public accepted. I want to see a group like the purifiers take on the Avengers. Just a group that hates them for simply existing.
    who tho? vigilantes?? superheroes??
    groups like the purifiers hate the X-Men cause they're all mutants
    what binds the Avengers like that?

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

There's no excuse for Avengers not already being aware. They just don't care, they're egomaniacs and utterly closed-minded
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

The Avengers handle Avenger stories. The X-men do X-men stories. if the Avengers started handling X-men things, people would complain that they were stealing the X-men's thunder.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The Avengers handle Avenger stories. The X-men do X-men stories. if the Avengers started handling X-men things, people would complain that they were stealing the X-men's thunder.
    And I'm sure Avengers fans would be miffed if Avengers started taking X-Men talking points as their own.

People gotta be mad about something though, I guess.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    There's no excuse for Avengers not already being aware. They just don't care, they're egomaniacs and utterly closed-minded
    I made this post to get all about what I thought was a cool idea for a crossover

Not to debate what fictional characters are aware of

I don’t see the point because it’s dictated by writers and editorial

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    who tho? vigilantes?? superheroes??
    groups like the purifiers hate the X-Men cause they're all mutants
    what binds the Avengers like that?
    It doesn’t matter who. It could be the purifiers one day up and decide they hate any powered beings not just mutants. Make up a new group and have them target the Avengers because they are the most prolific heroes in the world. Hate rarely makes sense so you don’t even need a great motive.

This thread got my imagination to a place where, like the Dark Avengers scenario, villains dressed as the Avengers, what if the Avengers dressed or psyche swapped with the X-Men

Cap as Cyclops
    Scarlet Witch as Jean/Storm/Psylocke/Emma/Dazzler (the avengers need more ladies)
    Cap Marvel as Rogue
    Iron Man as Colossus
    Hulk as Nightcrawler or Gambit *chuckle* yikes, apologies for the mental images of Hulk in various poses
    Wasp as Kitty (Janets look of abject horror at seeing Kittys closet would be priceless, possibly lead to another HoM or disassembled)

Incredible Member

I'd like Jean to show them everything: The Days of Future past, the Mutant Massacre of the Morlocks, Genosha, the consequences of No more Mutants and every tragedies mutants had to go through and see Captain America vomit, Tony Stark wanting a drink and Carol Danvers, who has been at one time close to the X-family, ask: "What've we done?".
    Because if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    I have always advocated for scarlet Witch to become an X-Man (way before disassembled) because, when exchanges happen it's always X-Men coming to the Avengers, not the other way around and I found it more than a little condescending.

By the way, I think X-Men RED was a good beginning for a new relationship in the superheroes community, too bad it wasn't followed.
    Last edited by mogwen; 02-28-2019 at 12:31 PM.