Default Wonder Woman #65 Preview

The preview for #65 is up!

Cale has sued Wonder Woman over the events last issue, and we get some talking heads commenting on it. Diana rages in a thunderstorm. Aphrodite has taken fashion lessions from Power Girl. Diana, Aphrodite, and Steve discuss the fate of Themyscira and the Olympians.

The writing is OK, but I'm not feeling the art. I liked Merino's work in TWH, but here the faces are inconsistent, and a lot of the expressions feels off. I do like Aphrodite's sparkly hair, thogh.

The opening doesn't really seem to lead off to anything concrete that can be resolved in this issue, but I'm willing to wait for what Wilson comes up with here. I had guessed this would be a two-issue mini-arc around Nemesis, but it appears it will stick around a bit longer.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I have to agree on the above comments and the writing. Merino's art seems rushed and Veronica Cale almost looks like a different woman. This whole disappearance of Olympus and Themyscira mystery needs to pick up steam soon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm fine with the Nemesis/Veronica arc going on longer. I expect a lot of these to be long term, much like the stuff in Rucka's first run. I do hope for a semi-conclusion for the mini arc in some capacity though.

I'm glad Diana's angst seems to be getting out of the way within the first few pages. I'm glad her (complete understandable) tears and frustration seemingly were gotten out of her system, and with Aphrodite's words of encouragement, it looks like we're getting the setup for the dual search for Hermaphproditus and Themyscira arc that is coming after Giganta.

The only think I dislike, and it's more of a minor quibble, is Steve waiting for Diana. I like him being the supportive boyfriend, and it was really cute last issue, but now I kind of want the dude to go to work or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I have to agree on the above comments and the writing. Merino's art seems rushed and Veronica Cale almost looks like a different woman. This whole disappearance of Olympus and Themyscira mystery needs to pick up steam soon.
    I don't think that's meant to be Veronica. Just a talking head on the news.

So we're up to a court scene? Interesting.

This thread is for a discussion of the contents of the preview, NOT for your general opinion of the book overall, the direction you don't like, etc.

Also, repeating the same thing over and over again in various threads is considered spamming and a violation of forum rules.

So please, in this and in other threads, stick to the topic and don't just keep repeating the same one or two lines in multiple threads.

Thanks!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Some of the inconsistencies in the art might be due to the inker, I dont recall seeing who did this issue or recall who did his previous, but that is how things look...it's Merino's style, but it looks heavier than usual which is sometimes due to an inker.

Extraordinary Member

I don’t think that’s supposed to be Cale at the news desk. It’s a reporter with the same colour hair.

So we’ve gone from the plot of JMS Thor reboot to the plot of The Incredibles.

Aphrodite points out the obvious to Diana.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor