Mighty Member

Default Batman : POST Jason Todd PRE- Tim Drake . An appreciation

Anyone have a favourite story from this period 1988-89?

Maaaan, Batsy was really hurting back then. Remember the one where he's dealing with a deranged gunman and Gordon asks if robin will be joining him?
    Or the one where he's dealing with assassins who use the vibrating palm technique?

YOUR thoughts and opinions on this period?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It lasted all of one year, but it was a memorable year (among other things, Michael Keaton's BATMAN movie was released during this period). Nearly all of it was connected to the aftermath of Jason Todd's death and setting up Tim Drake to take over as Robin. BATMAN: YEAR THREE was probably the most significant story from this period and that was clearly a narrative bridge between A DEATH IN THE FAMILY and A LONELY PLACE OF DYING.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

What's there to appreciate, though? It only lasted for few months before Tim was introduced which is too short to have any memorable story.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I do have a sentimental connection to this era, however, because it's when I began to follow and buy BATMAN-related comics in earnest. Before this point, I had consumed other BATMAN media such as the live action Adam West TV series, various animated presentations, etc., but not the actual DC comic book series.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

The most memorable stories from the era are imo "Batman: Year 3" and "Anarky in Gotham City".

I love Year 3. On the edge Batman, Nightwing, Dick Grayson Robin flashbacks, some good Alfred moments. Always thought it was really good and always thought it was overlooked.

Another around that time was the return of Joker since Death in the Family. Fun little story. Tim was around then but in the early stages, he was barely in that one.

Spectacular Member

I remember reading and collecting the "Year 3" storyline and wasn't "The Mud Pack" story running in "Detective Comics" around this same time.
    "Dark Knight - Dark City" is also one of my all-time favorites. I think that was the first Post-Crisis appearance of Riddler? Great story that creeped me out as a ten year old reader.

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    I remember reading and collecting the "Year 3" storyline and wasn't "The Mud Pack" story running in "Detective Comics" around this same time.
    "Dark Knight - Dark City" is also one of my all-time favorites. I think that was the first Post-Crisis appearance of Riddler? Great story that creeped me out as a ten year old reader.
    Yeah Dark Knight Dark City is good. One of the better Riddler stories. I smiled when Grant Morrison tied it into his Batman and Robin run.

There was a pretty good Penguin story too. Can't remember the name of it now.

This is quite niche, isn't it?
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown