Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What was your favorite episode of " Adventures of Superman "?

My favorites
    The monkey mystery!
    The secret of superman (classic)
    No holds barred
    **watch S1 E7 2:38- 3:08**
    (Its hard to pick a favorite so multiple answers are accepted.)
    Last edited by Linda Lee; 02-26-2019 at 10:41 PM.

I think Adventures of Superman is a generally entertaining show and all episodes are worthy of a watch. It's old-fashioned low-tech fun.

Having said that, I prefer the first 2 seasons that were in black and white as the stories tended to be more serious -- especially the first season. But I did love seeing a live action Superman in color when I was a kid.

My favorites:

Episodes 1.7 & 2.26 - "The Birthday Letter" and "Around the World with Superman"
    Two similar stories that showcase Superman's human side. In the first, Superman takes a crippled girl to the county fair and in the second, he uses his X-Ray vision to guide doctors on a delicate operation to restore the sight of a blind girl who doesn't believe in Superman. He then takes her on a flight around the world.

Episode 1.13 - "The Stolen Costume"

A crook finds Clark Kent's secret closet in his apartment with a Superman costume. Rather than submit to blackmail, Superman takes the crooks to a secluded mountain cabin. When the crooks try to get away, they fall off the mountain to their deaths. Good!

Episode 2.12 - "Panic in the Sky"

An asteriod is headed for a collision course with Earth. Superman rams into the asteroid, which only temporarily helps, but the impact gives Superman amnesia. He must regain his memory to destroy the asteroid once and for all.

Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-25-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think Adventures of Superman is a generally entertaining show and all episodes are worthy of a watch. It's old-fashioned low-tech fun.

Having said that, I prefer the first 2 seasons that were in black and white as the stories tended to be more serious -- especially the first season. But I did love seeing a live action Superman in color when I was a kid.

My favorites:

Episodes 1.7 & 2.26 - "The Birthday Letter" and "Around the World with Superman"
    Two similar stories that showcase Superman's human side. In the first, Superman takes a crippled girl to the county fair and in the second, he uses his X-Ray vision to guide doctors on a delicate operation to restore the sight of a blind girl who doesn't believe in Superman. He then takes her on a flight around the world.

Episode 1.13 - "The Stolen Costume"

A crook finds Clark Kent's secret closet in his apartment with a Superman costume. Rather than submit to blackmail, Superman takes the crooks to a secluded mountain cabin. When the crooks try to get away, they fall off the mountain to their deaths. Good!

Episode 2.12 - "Panic in the Sky"

An asteriod is headed for a collision course with Earth. Superman rams into the asteroid, which only temporarily helps, but the impact gives Superman amnesia. He must regain his memory to destroy the asteroid once and for all.

I liked these as well. I agree with the liking the first 2 seasons a little more than the rest. Thanks for taking the time to get that together.

I'm assuming this will eventually be moved from the general DC Comics section of the Forum to the specific Superman section in the not-too-distant future?

Extraordinary Member

I liked 1.11 - No Holds Barred about a wrestler who uses pressure points to cripple and paralyze opponents. I guess as a kid, I was fascinated by wrestling. I haven't seen any of these episodes in years, but I remember that one fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I liked 1.11 - No Holds Barred about a wrestler who uses pressure points to cripple and paralyze opponents. I guess as a kid, I was fascinated by wrestling. I haven't seen any of these episodes in years, but I remember that one fondly.
    That episode is on my list of favorites for sure. I was very iconic to me and it's very easily remembered compared to some other episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm assuming this will eventually be moved from the general DC Comics section of the Forum to the specific Superman section in the not-too-distant future?
    Most likely. I was posing the question to all DC fans not just superman fans. But I understand it is a specific character that I'm asking about.
    I didnt even think to put it under the superman tab. My fault.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Having said that, I prefer the first 2 seasons that were in black and white as the stories tended to be more serious -- especially the first season.
    As an adult now (I started watching reruns of the show back in the late '60s), I still find the first two seasons compelling. The rest seem too kiddie-ish for me today.

Favorite episode? Maybe The Stolen Costume because it was so stark compared to the other stories.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    As an adult now (I started watching reruns of the show back in the late '60s), I still find the first two seasons compelling. The rest seem too kiddie-ish for me today.

Favorite episode? Maybe The Stolen Costume because it was so stark compared to the other stories.
    That is such a great story. I agree that the first 2 seasons are my more beloved.

Retired

I am watching THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN on Saturdays--as I have all the DVDs--but I'm taking my time and not rushing through, since I want to enjoy the experience. Right now I'm getting toward the end of season 4.

"Around the World with Superman" is certainly a favourite, as it was later adapted for the comics. But so were several other adventures. Maybe one day I'll try to make a list of all the episodes that provided the basis for comic book stories--if someone hasn't already done that. Mort Weisinger was the story editor on all these and he was the editor on most of the Superman comics. Growing up in the Great Depression, he must have learned thrift, as he was in the habit of reusing and recycling.

Astonishing Member

I always had fond memories of The Big Freeze until I saw it as an adult again. Something about Clark entering that blast furnace not knowing if it would restore his powers or kill him (if his powers didn't some back fast enough). I remembered that as being more central to the plot than the election stuff, until I saw it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I always had fond memories of The Big Freeze until I saw it as an adult again. Something about Clark entering that blast furnace not knowing if it would restore his powers or kill him (if his powers didn't some back fast enough). I remembered that as being more central to the plot than the election stuff, until I saw it again.
    Hahaha that's really funny. I totally understand remembering something slightly different than what it was and being shocked when re watching it. ( cutt throat island).

Retired

I know that I watched AOS when it was syndicated in the early 1960s, but I don't remember any of the stories. And watching it now doesn't ring any bells. But it does give me a better insight into why the Superman family were the way they were in the comic books, given how the actors shaped those characters.

Panic in the Sky though Around the World with Superman is close.
    Power with Girl is better.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I never watched the old George Reeves show, so these suggestions are very helpful.