Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The problem for me is that, while I tend to be left of centre, on any given day I will agree with people all over the spectrum. Yet I'm being made to feel like I can't be open to those opinions for fear of being labeled a sexist troll, a racist or an SJW.

I just found out that, because I liked GREEN BOOK, I'm an out-of-touch racist and now I find out that, because I don't want to see another movie, I'm a sexist troll who needs to be silenced.

It's this kind of posturing that makes average folks feel exasperated and misunderstood and they either drop out completely or they run to the extreme. There's no place left for people who want to hear all sides.

It's like the social network is set up to create polarization and exclusion.
    Who said that anyone who liked Green Book is racist?

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

So I just scanned through this thread and am dismayed to learn that I am a troll for having expressed my lack of interest in a film.

It seems obvious to me that Marvel always knew this film would be a fail as a standalone so they placed it as connective tissue between Infinity War films so that it couldn't possibly fail no matter the quality of the film or the marketing. When Dingbat the Cat is your top selling point you have a problem.

I'm out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post
    So I just scanned through this thread and am dismayed to learn that I am a troll for having expressed my lack of interest in a film.

It seems obvious to me that Marvel always knew this film would be a fail as a standalone so they placed it as connective tissue between Infinity War films so that it couldn't possibly fail no matter the quality of the film or the marketing. When Dingbat the Cat is your top selling point you have a problem.

I'm out.
    Marvel turned Ant-man and GoTG into hit movies, why should Captain Marvel be any different?

And Marvel have been tying their entire universe together. Like, that’s what they’ve been doing from the very beginning, why is it a problem now?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Who said that anyone who liked Green Book is racist?
    Yeah. I haven't heard any of that and I'm pretty in tuned to left wing social media. I liked Green Book myself. I see the problems in it and I don't think it should have won Best Picture, but as a source of entertainment, I enjoyed it.

My mom really loved Green Book, but Blindspotting spoke to me far more. That might be a generational thing.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Marvel turned Ant-man and GoTG into hit movies, why should Captain Marvel be any different?

And Marvel have been tying their entire universe together. Like, that’s what they’ve been doing from the very beginning, why is it a problem now?
    Captain Marvel WILL be a hit movie no matter what. That's my point. Ant-man and GoTG (Was Ant-man a hit? I did eventually see it on DVD.) were not integral parts of an on-going story. Yes, the Marvel movies are set in a shared universe, but previous movies introducing a new lead character were not marketed by making them an indispensable part of a greater story. That indicates to me a lot of doubt that the character or story will stand on its own.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Nobody wasn't really saying that but okay.

They need to get their site back under control...keep it to actual critics. Dump the commenting, audience scores, "want to see" (WTF is the point of that, anyway), and so on.

Captain Marvel WILL be a hit movie no matter what. That's my point. Ant-man and GoTG (Was Ant-man a hit? I did eventually see it on DVD.) were not integral parts of an on-going story. Yes, the Marvel movies are set in a shared universe, but previous movies introducing a new lead character were not marketed by making them an indispensable part of a greater story. That indicates to me a lot of doubt that the character or story will stand on its own.
    Ant-Man and GOTG aren't integral parts of the ongoing story? Sure about that?

Hobbit Films and Fantastic Beast Films disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Ant-Man and GOTG aren't integral parts of the ongoing story? Sure about that?
    Yes, I'm sure. You might consider them that now, but they weren't when they originally came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Hobbit Films and Fantastic Beast Films disagree.
    Heh, yes and no. Those films aren't really connecting tissue to LOTR or the Harry Potter series. They share the universe, but the other movies can be enjoyed without them. Marvel wanted to set up a dynamic here where fans would feel they had to see Captain Marvel before seeing Infinity War, part two, Avengers: Endgame or whatever it's called or they would be missing needed information.

Yes, I'm sure. You might consider them that now, but they weren't when they originally came out.
    I think the way Marvel has carefully put everything into play...most movie goers/Marvel fans assumed at the time they came out the characters would be very important to the overall Marvel story arc. Just my two cents. Marvel hasn't done anything without a purpose.

Marvel certainly knew about that in advance. Just because it wasn't obvious from the get-go doesn't mean it wasn't intended from the get-go.
    Live true or lie well.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    Marvel certainly knew about that in advance. Just because it wasn't obvious from the get-go doesn't mean it wasn't intended from the get-go.
    Considering everything introduced in that first Guardian movie its easily one of the top 5 most important entries of the MCU story.