Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I feel like Captain Marvel is the start of people wising up to this sort of insanity. The crazy youtube people really should have known better than to try to sink a Marvel movie. One has to wonder that within in an echo chamber as beliefs become more exaggerated and extreme where will it all end?

Very true. These guys biggest examples were the comics industry and Ghosbusters 2016. They don’t seem to understand that comic sales across the board started falling a long time ago and whatever diversity push we saw was AS A RESULT of falling sales in the first place (and the need to diversify the market place). Ghostbusters 2016 bombed because it wasn’t very good and very few people wanted to see a Ghostbusters reboot in the first place. I’m not even going to talk about Solo because they’ve retroactively and falsely tried to portray a troubled production surrounded by negative coverage and mediocre reviews as a movie that came out with good reviews and positive buzz.

As you rightly pointed out, a lot of these youtubers credibility has taken a massive hit. People are now realizing these guys are swindlers profiting off the “4-Channing” of the Internet. These guys aren’t conservatives, they are deceptive hucksters that have now resorted to conspiracy theories because everything they’ve said about Captain Marvel turned out wrong.

First it was tracking is dropping, lol, it never did and I took time to explain that a poster to here.
    Second, it was getting negative reviews, no, it got average to good reviews
    Third, it was going to bomb at the box office. Not even close, it’s on course for a billion
    Fourth, it took a massive drop on Monday. This was the more ignorant one becsuse all movies drop massively between Sunday and Monday.
    Fifth, they said opening weekend figures were inflated by Disney but we now know the movie is holding very well (worldwide mind you) and will be around $750m global by the end of this weekend at the box office.

Now I’m seeing people talking about Disney altering the perception of the movie in the eyes of the public. I mean, people are now giving Disney reality altering powers..lol. I’ve never seen a group of people collectively take an L of this before but these guys have had their credibility blown away.

It is perhaps too easy to portray this movie as a watershed. The complete detachment from reality over comics was the first sign we saw here, but I first saw this behaviour on RPG forums years ago and it was just as detached from reality there. I think the real issue is places like this and even RT were caught by surprise. YouTube hasn’t even noticed yet, or if it has it is playing a dangerous game.

My prediction is that this will just further entrench the position. The whole movement is cynical. Talk trash with a social point as a thin veneer of free speech, because by doing so you can become internet famous for fifteen minutes. The videos feed on each other. You see this phenomenon a lot, people see a movement, buy into it and start to go out and preach the message before they really get what the message is. Then when challenged they go back to the source to find what the correct response is to that challenge and go back and push that message in a new discussion. Rinse repeat. This behaviour is just as likely to happen with minority politics of all types. Right now we are in the ‘how do we respond properly to an unforeseen setback’ part of the cycle.

The frustration is that I could tell you exactly what they should be concentrating on now and how they could still keep their values and message in the face of this setback. But I would only encourage them.

This currently disparate movement is slowly building into a much larger cohesive group and it will eventually rally around people who understand rhetoric, Derrida, post-Marxist social criticism and all the other tools that more established groups have used for decades. I hope that it is exposed as the paper-thin ideology that it is at heart, but I worry it will become much less innocent, if that word makes sense in this context.

The way things turned out for Captain Marvel worries me for the X-Men in a way I wasn't worried before. I want to love the new line of X-films w/o any of the bullshit marketing tactics and divisive interviews we saw with CM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    The way things turned out for Captain Marvel worries me for the X-Men in a way I wasn't worried before. I want to love the new line of X-films w/o any of the bullshit marketing tactics and divisive interviews we saw with CM.
    How about you just ignore the marketing and interviews if it bothers you so much? Is it really that hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    How about you just ignore the marketing and interviews if it bothers you so much? Is it really that hard?
    That's kind of difficult when it's being posted on every comic book site, forum, and social media account on the internet. Unplug, I guess?

BANNED

That's kind of difficult when it's being posted on every comic book site, forum, and social media account on the internet. Unplug, I guess?
    Or just don’t click headlines that seem sensationalized.

Or read the stuff if you’re curious, and form your own opinions and look past any potential BS. I had a low opinion of CM going into the movie just based off of what I had seen, formed from my own perspective. I wound up quite surprised by the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Or just don’t click headlines that seem sensationalized.

Or read the stuff if you’re curious, and form your own opinions and look past any potential BS. I had a low opinion of CM going into the movie just based off of what I had seen, formed from my own perspective. I wound up quite surprised by the film.
    My current opinion is that they got it wrong. It's not, "Get woke, go broke". It's "Get woke, make a billion".
    Power with Girl is better.

Invincible Member

I don't think that'll be an issue. It hasn't been a problem with any other superhero property TV or movie that's out there now. Carol Danvers was a special case in that a certain crowd already had problems with her and were going to pounce no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    My current opinion is that they got it wrong. It's not, "Get woke, go broke". It's "Get woke, make a billion".
    Making $69 million the second weekend with only a 54.8% drop does sort of take the wind out of their sails. Less of a drop than their beloved Alita Battle Angel. But I am sure they will find some way to spin that as a negative.
    Maybe they can bring up that Wonder Woman only had a 43.4% drop the second weekend. Another woke movie that didn't go broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    People inclined to already like a movie and give high score isn't review manipulation if they already saw the movie. That is their feeling on the movie. Review Manipulation someone who hasn't seen the movie giving a fake review. Bias is a part of reviewing which is why people use aggregate sites to get collection of feelings because they are people who will bias both ways. Trying to sell dickwads voting down a movie because the dislike the actor for some stupid political reason and never seeing the movie as if it is the same thing as Fan of property giving high review after seeing it is ridiculous imo.
    Except your ignoring the fact that many of those 10/10 on RT and IMDB are just as illegitimate, made before the public release of the film and consisting of copy and pasted text.

That isn't even my initial point though. There is a difference between liking a movie and giving it a max score. Aggregates totals encourage users to provide an extreme positive and negative reviews, not authentic ones.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 03-17-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This currently disparate movement is slowly building into a much larger cohesive group and it will eventually rally around people who understand rhetoric, Derrida, post-Marxist social criticism and all the other tools that more established groups have used for decades. I hope that it is exposed as the paper-thin ideology that it is at heart, but I worry it will become much less innocent, if that word makes sense in this context.
    You aren't fighting an ideology, there are no clear leaders and no unifying tenets for you to rail against as though this were a university debate club. It's frankly laughable you expect a loose collection of populists and movie fans to adopt the tired conceits of postmodernism. This is about how information is shared online, where people are allowed to have open discussion against the backdrop of Captain Marvel's controversial marketing campaign. Disney crossed the line in what they were willing to do to push Captain Marvel and that will have far reaching consequences for public discourse going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    You aren't fighting an ideology, there are no clear leaders and no unifying tenets for you to rail against as though this were a university debate club. It's frankly laughable you expect a loose collection of populists and movie fans to adopt the tired conceits of postmodernism. This is about how information is shared online, where people are allowed to have open discussion against the backdrop of Captain Marvel's controversial marketing campaign. Disney crossed the line in what they were willing to do to push Captain Marvel and that will have far reaching consequences for public discourse going forward.
    Wait what imaginary line was crossed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    You haven't established or produced the slightest evidence that Disney did anything. Not saying they did or did not and I know very well that most people don't care about little things like actual evidence. But you haven't even produced evidence that this has had the slightest practical impact. In fact, all the evidence indicates it is irrelevant, that evidence being that the movies that get hit the hardest by this nonsense end up having a strange tendency to end up being the most successful, most profitable and popular movies of their year and a good many years.

Your argument is basically that it's true for now but just you wait and see. Maybe. But the problem is that to the average person, the very obsession with this, no matter which side one is on, is a bunch of fringe, juvenile stuff obsessed over by people living in their parents' basement who need to get a job and a date to occupy their time and relieve their boredom some other way.

I'm not saying that stereotype is true either but I think it's the perception by most people.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Disney forcing Rotten Tomatoes to "censor" stuff, lying about their ticket sales, and/or buying out theaters. Pick one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Well, I very much would like to keep using the internet as a public forum. Even if I don't frequent Rotten Tomatoes very often it's nice to know that it's there. Unfortunately, the actions undertaken by Disney through astroturfing and changing the algorithms undermines the value of Rotten Tomatoes as a source of information. In time something new will emerge to replace Rotten Tomatoes now that Disney has trashed the place but until then public discourse is poorer because of it. Which is really a microcosm of the greater damage Disney has been causing as they flail about trying to defend Captain Marvel, these scorched earth tactics simply aren't sustainable.