Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152 LastLast
    BANNED

And here I am still wondering where the screenshots DragonsChi claimed he/she sold are. If they were the definitive proof that he/she touted them to be, why is the news site he/she sold them to still holding onto them? This story would’ve blowed up, especially amidst CM’s financial success

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    You are not talking about the real past. You quoted a play from Shakespeare's Roman period, when he felt the need to couch his feelings about English history in the cloak of ancient Rome. Shakespeare was operating under a new regime where he was no longer allowed to openly express his opinions on the modern monarchy so he made his points at a remove instead. This has absolutely nothing to do with my point, so again I don't think you have grasped what I was trying to say.
    Excellent point about Shakespeare and what he was really writing about. (Also, you're on point that it has nothing to do with what's being discussed with the Captain Marvel movie.)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    The statements were not made as part of the of the marketing for Captain Marvel, nor was it a political campaign.

The statements were made at the Crystal and Lucy Awards which celebrates women in film, so of course she took that opportunity to be critical of representation of women in the industry she works in when it come to interviews and critics. Most of the speeches given at the awards were about feminist issues such as gender parity and the Metoo movement.
    Exactly. Some people are frankly just looking to be offended. Chris Evans, Don Cheadle and Mark Ruffalo make political statements all the time, Brie Larson has been singled out purely because of people misrepresenting her words and because people want to be mad at an evil feminist or whatever.

This movie partnered with the US Air Force, if you think it's leftist propaganda I don't know what planet you're on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Surely you must concede that the marketing campaign around Captain Marvel was not normal; the campaign was divisive and tried to silence all dissent on previously neutral platforms.
    The "silencing" was done by those platforms themselves and them acting well within their rights to decide what is acceptable use of their services.

Ever since Brie Larson ran her mouth off to the press the marketing took a toxic turn that no sane company should undertake if they want to stay in business.
    Brie Larson never said anything toxic; I've checked the cited statements made by the trolls. At best, they have incredibly poor reading comprehension skills, more likely they're lying to "prove" their case (a serious charge, but, like I said, I've seen the statements and they literally do not -- cannot -- mean what you find the trolls claiming they do).

It's a testament to the strength of the Marvel brand that short-term profits haven't been compromised more then have but that will change soon. No film, even ones as shamelessly formulaic as the MCU, can survive in a toxic atmosphere driven by a company that actively pushes it's customers away. People will forget Captain Marvel but they won't what Disney did to Rotten Tomatoes.
    Disney did nothing to Rotten Tomatoes.

As other people on this thread have pointed out, you've offered no evidence to support your claims, which you're going to need to do if you want us to take you serious, esp. since, as of right now, there is actual evidence against your position.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Hey folks. Unless you're bringing something new to the conversation, can the people that have repeating the same things (on both sides) give everyone a break? Thanks.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

The 20th century is over but you're still trying refight old battles as though nothing has changed. I can only assume you didn't watch the video I posted earlier, no love for the bard then? That's a shame, if you looked a little closer you might see our current situation has more in common with Ancient Rome then the tepid politics of the post-war 20th century. Captain Marvel is just one flashpoint, made possible by Brie Larsons controversial statements and Disney's heavy-handed marketing. It's the fading world of the legacy media struggling against a new age they couldn't possible hope to understand.
    Or it's the world of people who think speaking out against racism is racism, speaking out against sexism is sexism, trying to help achieve equality in practice as well as words is creating controversy and that a woman should just keep her mouth shut who cannot cope with how much the world is changing but they can moan about it on youtube and on forums crying censorship to hide their onerous attitudes while the world hopefully passes them by.
    Power with Girl is better.

Nice video. To be honest it is frustrating that anyone even needs to make those statements, but we all know it is necessary in the current climate. Scores of times I have read thread titles or statements on this very forum that have made me go and investigate what the source of a supposed story is. To drill down past the first click bait article cited and find the original interview, article, or news source.

Most times it is immediately apparent once you find the source, that the story, even if it represents a truth, has been spun in such a way to either distort that truth or put a heavy spin on it. That’s how sensationalist news works. We know this when a sensational article says something we don’t like, and yet so many are happy to take them at face value when they say something we like. As the video makes very clear, that is on us. We need to do the due diligence when the news sources refuse to do it.

News is all about getting clicks or views. Not as much about the truth anymore, lots of times. Thats a big part of the reason I ignored all the hints of controversy and insisted on seeing CM myself. Everyone really should do that, make up their own mind.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Only the most deluded thought this film was going to flop, so citing Captain Marvel's box office tally doesn't really amount to much. Superhero films make big money, this isn't new.

What mattered most was the quality of the film and its mediocre trash. Any one who was critical of the film prior to its release has essentially been vindicated.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

In their own minds, certainly.
    Live true or lie well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Only the most deluded thought this film was going to flop, so citing Captain Marvel's box office tally doesn't really amount to much. Superhero films make big money, this isn't new.

What mattered most was the quality of the film and its mediocre trash. Any one who was critical of the film prior to its release has essentially been vindicated.
    And we're back on the merry-go-round named denial.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 03-19-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Love this video. A voice of reason in a sea of garbage. And this guy, Dan Murrell, doesn't even particularly like the movie but this is more about fact checking and the realization that people can just make things up and, especially on-line, it can still go viral.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    And we're back on merry-go-round named denial.
    I don't even know what you are saying. Of course these people thought the movie was going to be bad.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I don't even know what you are saying. Of course these people thought the movie was going to be bad.
    I don't understand what you're saying, either, I guess.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium