Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yes but go to YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook and on various subject matters you'll see the same people discussing the same things over various platforms. If you B.S. with your buddies at the Barber Shop, Golf Course, and Bar it doesn't make it less of an Echo Chamber just because you guys do it at three locations.
    If people from different demographics didn't interact on social media then nothing would ever go viral. The limitless exchange of information goes beyond geographic social circles and instead starts to impact all of society, that's what people mean when they say the internet has its own culture. Which is why the controversies surrounding Captain Marvel and Disney in general has taken on a life of its own. It's not a 'culture war' as some burnt-out postmodernist from the 60s would understand it, this is a war of technology between the legacy media and the user generated content of the internet. Attempting to define Captain Marvel's critics as one group or one ideology misses the point completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    If people from different demographics didn't interact on social media then nothing would ever go viral. The limitless exchange of information goes beyond geographic social circles and instead starts to impact all of society, that's what people mean when they say the internet has its own culture. Which is why the controversies surrounding Captain Marvel and Disney in general has taken on a life of its own. It's not a 'culture war' as some burnt-out postmodernist from the 60s would understand it, this is a war of technology between the legacy media and the user generated content of the internet. Attempting to define Captain Marvel's critics as one group or one ideology misses the point completely.
    Show me where this went trending worldwide and in cases of articles the only narrative right or wrong was RT cracking down on Alt-Right Trolls not a bad thing in most people's opinions. Do a YouTube search on this subject only Vox, ET Canada, and RT themselves have videos on this every other video is the same group of Youtubers who doing video after video and they all hated Captain Marvel before this RT controversy so this isn't a Cultural War it's not even a battle it's a yard fight between two groups of spoiled children over their toys and who gets to play with them.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 03-15-2019 at 10:08 PM.

What's the matter? As a movie buff I thought you'd be more appreciative of the way these enterprising YouTubers are using the visual arts to alter people's perception of reality. It's all very avant-garde.

Seriously though, by now you should realise that the critics of Captain Marvel are never going to concede an inch of ground. Even if the movie turns out to be profitable on paper this new narrative about Disney buying seats will undermine that victory. So that everything Captain Marvel acheives will be mired in corruption and controversy. With trust in the legacy media at an all-time low the general public might just pickup on the conspiracy and believe it.
    Now, it's getting a bit laughable.

What will cause it to be "Mired..."?

The tiny fraction of the group that no one actually listened to to start with turning up with a conspiracy theory and no proof after their initial "Doomsday" prediction face planted, and Captain Marvel got paid in full?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Now, it's getting a bit laughable.

What will cause it to be "Mired..."?

The tiny fraction of the group that no one actually listened to to start with turning up with a conspiracy theory and no proof after their initial "Doomsday" prediction face planted, and Captain Marvel got paid in full?
    Kintor is trying really hard to make this a narrative about "legacy" media vs user generated content. When it's really about a bunch of angry obsessed trolls who are resorting to conspiracy theories on Youtube in order to avoid the reality that their whiny boycott of Captain Marvel didn't work.

Meanwhile, people on other continents shrug and file this nonsense as just another instance of crazy Americans tearing their own society apart. The sheer arrogance that any of this affects anything where I live is staggering. Witness the global box office.
    Live true or lie well.

Ultimate Member

What this Captain Marvel “non-controversy” has shown me is:

1. A lot of the youtubers hanging on to it are really, really desperate. I’ve never seen such goal post shifting in my life. They should accept the movie is a hit, they were wrong and they had no impact on the movie’s legacy beyond spreading poorly thought out conspiracy theories that most people can see through. Sometimes, one has to take the L and move on. The empty theatre assertion is so ridiculously stupid that the guys thinking it out must be either be very ignorant or very, very, very dishonest. Unless they can check every single theatre, in every district, in every single city, in every single part of the world, such theory should immediately be dismissed. Same with the Disney buying theatres wholesale, that’s fraud on an unprecedented level, why would Disney even do that considering they’ve had more expensive flops in recent years?

2. These guys don’t have the influence they think they have. They just don’t, i’ll concede the larger youtubers have some influence but these smaller channels haven’t been able to change anything beyond their constant complaining. “Go woke, get broke” is a myth, a lie that’s been dispelled by Wonder Woman, Black Panther and now Captain Marvel, if anything, it’s the exact opposite so expect more female and minority led blockbusters.

3. We are in the dying days of outrage culture. Except in the rarest of occasions, online outrage (especially politically dubious outrage) has little impact on the bottom line. It’s just the way it is.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Now the YouTubers with the anti Captain Marvel agenda are claiming Disney is buying up tickets to inflate the CM box office number to make CM seem like it is a hit movie and that CM is actually playing to empty theaters.
    LOL, they've literally gone full Alex Jones. Are trolls not aware that sometimes there are unpopulated screenings, right? I remember my second trip to Infinity War only had like 5 people in it. Besides if the conspiracy is true, where are all the theater owners crying bloody murder at all the money they're losing? Unless Disney is also buying soda and popcorn to go with their fake tickets?

There are numerous studies showing that posting your political opinions on Facebook doesn't change anybody's opinions about politics. It just changes their opinions about you. You're great if you agree with the opinions they already hold and an idiot if you disagree with them.

In that sense, it is an echo chamber. Sure, there are people who will believe anything. There was also a tendency to just assume that stuff on the Internet was true or at least had evidence supporting it. More and more people are realizing people can post anything on the Internet, even totally made up stuff. This has even unfortunately gone to the extreme that even things backed by overwhelming evidence are just labeled "fake news" by people who don't want to believe it.

The capacity to spread propaganda is at an all-time high although it's also backfiring in a lot of ways. Attacks and misinformation about movies is just a small symptom. Also, the fewer people are, the louder they get.

I honestly suspect that all the youtube stuff put together doesn't equal the impact of one good movie trailer. There is also clearly something not being considered. Entertainment. A lot of people watch this youtube stuff for the same reason they watch these "reality shows" and talk shows about dysfunctional people. They watch it because it's entertaining to them. They watch the youtube bashers for the same reason and then go see the movie anyway.

But I will say the entertainment industry is generally expert at themselves knowing how to do and how to counter propaganda. Cut off the biggest sources of spreading it. Put out your own propaganda in which you label the opposition as trolls and sexists, for example. I mean, most of them really are but emphasize it. "Sexist trolls try to bring down Captain Marvel's "Want to see" rating by troll bombing Rotten Tomatoes with repeated negative clicks from the same people over and over" or words to that effect.

But how much it changes things is debatable. Are opinions really changing that much due to social media or is it just that everybody is saturating the Internet with their opinions and it's an echo chamber in the sense that it's not changing minds? Or let's say the influence one way or the other is about equal?
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Show me where this went trending worldwide and in cases of articles the only narrative right or wrong was RT cracking down on Alt-Right Trolls not a bad thing in most people's opinions. Do a YouTube search on this subject only Vox, ET Canada, and RT themselves have videos on this every other video is the same group of Youtubers who doing video after video and they all hated Captain Marvel before this RT controversy so this isn't a Cultural War it's not even a battle it's a yard fight between two groups of spoiled children over their toys and who gets to play with them.
    Trending algorithms are only surface level information, useless for measuring anything except videos from a single source and specially curated hashtags. Consider then how YouTube is different, most videos critical of Captain Marvel range from 15k-500k views but the sheer number of them from so many different users makes them difficult for an AI to identify and catalogue. It's the same reason why YouTube can't filter them out, you watch a Captain Marvel trailer you also get a few of the latest conspiracy videos in your sidebar. That's the power of an idea, even a conspiracy theory about Disney buying movie tickets to inflate the box office total, people all across the internet here about it even if they never see the original videos on YouTube.

Trending algorithms are only surface level information, useless for measuring anything except videos from a single source and specially curated hashtags. Consider then how YouTube is different, most videos critical of Captain Marvel range from 15k-500k views but the sheer number of them from so many different users makes them difficult for an AI to identify and catalogue. It's the same reason why YouTube can't filter them out, you watch a Captain Marvel trailer you also get a few of the latest conspiracy videos in your sidebar. That's the power of an idea, even a conspiracy theory about Disney buying movie tickets to inflate the box office total, people all across the internet here about it even if they never see the original videos on YouTube.
    Again where's the evidence this is doing anything to change a substantial amount of people minds on anything? I mean if you believe in crazy conspiracy theories stumbling across a Flat earth YouTube video might have an effect. But it's just echo chambers. I mean sure just by the fact I watch alot of comic themed stuff on YouTube I got some them dumb Disney conspiracy videos about CM in my Suggestions. But I'm not apart of that Echo chamber so like most people I laughed it off. The evidence we do have suggest these trolls didnt have an effect maybe even the opposite. But if you know something I dont, my mind could be changed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Now the YouTubers with the anti Captain Marvel agenda are claiming Disney is buying up tickets to inflate the CM box office number to make CM seem like it is a hit movie and that CM is actually playing to empty theaters.
    Who made Eric Bischoff CEO of Disney?

Actually, I watch a healthy amount of comic book related YouTube videos and I rarely get troll based suggestions. Probably because I don’t watch them so it isn’t worth suggesting them to me. To suggest that if you watch a trailer that the video list will have lots of troll based content only actually works if you personally watch such things.

As a quick experiment I just did this and you need to go down to the eighth suggestion to see the only negative video suggested, and to be honest I don’t know for sure it’s negative just that the wording is suspect and rings troll alarm bells.

Way above this is an unboxing of a CM doll. Not likely to watch that either but my bet it that this is an enthusiastic video.

This is why social media can be an echo chamber, they feed back to you your expressed preference as a way to sell you things.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-16-2019 at 02:31 AM.

I just clean up my YouTube. Every time I come across a video where someone does nothing but spew useless identity politics and other distasteful rhetoric, I tell YT to never show me anything from the channel again. That goes for both sides of the divide. I have as little interest in being part of the choir being preached to as listening to the other side.
    Live true or lie well.

BANNED

That legacy media usually made you sit through hours of content you had no interest in just to catch a snippet of what you did want to see is turning out in hindsight to be more a feature than a bug, because it exposed to you to a lot of ideas and topics that you would never have sought out on your own. The way that the internet lets you pick and choose exactly what you want to see means that over time, your interests get funneled into a narrower and narrower corridor, leaving you largely ignorant of what's going on in the wider world outside your chosen pigeonhole.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    That legacy media usually made you sit through hours of content you had no interest in just to catch a snippet of what you did want to see is turning out in hindsight to be more a feature than a bug, because it exposed to you to a lot of ideas and topics that you would never have sought out on your own. The way that the internet lets you pick and choose exactly what you want to see means that over time, your interests get funneled into a narrower and narrower corridor, leaving you largely ignorant of what's going on in the wider world outside your chosen pigeonhole.
    If only it was so self driven. In reality we are continually steered towards specific groupings because algorithms are seeking to put us all into boxes that have easily predictable marketing potential. Social media exists to do this. That is its raison d'être. Then we act surprised when we get echo chambers because we don’t acknowledge these algorithms have this much power over our behaviour and opinions.