Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Yah I'd like to see this quote too.
    It won’t happen. It doesn’t exist. Just like the screenshots.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Has Chris Evans ever said someone opinions don't matter or that implied that men should only see his movie? If he has then you are correct that would be a double standard.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 3.58.42 pm.jpg

I don't have that. But here he is fundraising for charity so girls can see Captain Marvel. Gosh, why hasn't Evans' been doxxed yet?

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 3.58.42 pm.jpg

I don't have that. But here he is fundraising for charity so girls can see Captain Marvel. Gosh, why hasn't Evans' been doxxed yet?
    Which is a nice thing to do. But this would play into my theory that she is out of touch.

She was promoting a charity that only brings money back into her pockets and she did it as if she was really bettering those little girls lives.

Also, again I sold the rights to the screen shots. It may or may not end up on the web in the next couple of days/weeks. *Shrug* Don't know and nor do I care.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Which is a nice thing to do. But this would play into my theory that she is out of touch.

She was promoting a charity that only brings money back into her pockets and she did it as if she was really bettering those little girls lives.

Also, again I sold the rights to the screen shots. It may or may not end up on the web in the next couple of days/weeks. *Shrug* Don't know and nor do I care.
    Sincerely, what charity are you referring to that Larson promoted and makes money from?

Also, what does her being out of touch (in your opinion) got to do with men hating her for promoting minorities? There are scores of actors that promote progressive causes and stand up for the disadvantaged and don't receive anything near to to this amount of hatred. I wonder why?

It really is quite chilling to see men attempt to silence a woman standing up for what is right.

Sincerely, what charity are you referring to that Larson promoted and makes money from?

Also, what does her being out of touch (in your opinion) got to do with men hating her for promoting minorities? There are scores of actors that promote progressive causes and stand up for the disadvantaged and don't receive anything near to to this amount of hatred. I wonder why?

It really is quite chilling to see men attempt to silence a woman standing up for what is right.
    She got a check from Ellen and on top of that the charity made $60,000(last I check). Actors get a percentage of overall ticket sales. So a percentage of that money is going back to her.

I never said that she hated white men. Thats what other people are assuming by what she has done. My personal opinion is that she is out of touch. We're also not talking about other actors. We're talking about Brie. Even if we where each situation would be different because no one is the same and neither would their situation be the same.

I don't think choosing not to see a movie is trying to silence her. You also have to look at it the other way... Some of them feel they are doing the right thing by not "rewarding" someone who they feel is being discriminatory and sexist.

Two sides feel they are right and barely no one wants to meet in the middle. History shows that hardly ever ends well.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-28-2019 at 10:48 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Black athletes and actors rented out whole theaters and took inner city kids. Boseman promoting that wouldnt make him out of touch. It's a good cause and has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Anyone who think shes doing this to put money back in her pocket is out of touch. Much like Dinsey did after Black panther im sure if Captain Marvel is a smash hit they will get Disney to donate to some Womens charity. I cant see anything bad coming out of this.

I dont think Captain Marvel will be as big a deal though. There is nothing out there like Black Panther. Wonder Woman beat Captain Marvel to the screen and Cpaton marvel looks like a cross between WW and GOTG. But wont know for sure, till I see it.

Also there is difference between not seeing a movie and a coordinated attack on a movie. I dont think its gonna hurt the movie at all but the people doing it would have the movie shelved if they got they're way. But yea the movies doing great with presales, so honestly if I was Disney i wouldnt give any of this any attention.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-28-2019 at 10:54 PM.

BANNED

She got a check from Ellen and on top of that the charity made $60,000(last I check). Actors get a percentage of overall ticket sales. So a percentage of that money is going back to her.

I never said that she haded white men. Thats what other people are assuming by what she has done. My personal opinion is that she is out of touch. We're also not talking about other actors. We're talking about Brie. Even if we where each situation would be different because no one is the same and neither would their situation be the same.

I don't think choosing not to see a movie is trying to silence her. You also have to look at it the other way... Some of them feel they are doing the right thing by not "rewarding" someone who they feel is being discriminatory and sexist.

Two sides feel they are right and barely no one wants to meet in the middle. History shows that hardly ever ends well.
    You didn't name the charity so I'm still confused about your initial point. However, I'd wager that Larson (the respectful way to refer to someone you don't know is by their last name) gives A LOT of her own money to charity. Much more than these white dudes boycotting this film.

And they are trying to silence her. They have wilfully and deliberately misinterpreted her comments and thus attempted to cause a boycott of Captain Marvel. There is a major difference between not seeing a film and organising a boycott of film. These misogynists are attempting to silence her because they don't agree with her views. Perhaps you should spend more time trying to convince these people that it is perfectly acceptable for others, especially WOMEN, to have their own opinions.

Again, Larson wasn't being discriminatory... yawn... she was making the point that minorities, especially people of color, aren't given the same opportunities as white men. I would've thought you could understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Black athletes and actors rented out whole theaters and took inner city kids. Boseman promoting that wouldnt make him out of touch. It's a good cause and has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Anyone who think shes doing this to put money back in her pocket is out of touch. Much like Dinsey did after Black panther im sure if Captain Marvel is a smash hit they will get Disney to donate to some Womens charity. I cant see anything bad coming out of this.
    I never said it was bad or implied it to be such. I just stated a fact. The intentions of a move like that is not a pure one. By the company, the actors, or by Brie. A pure jestor is when you gain nothing from doing something nice.

Getting money and/or gaining something doesn't make you a bad/evil person. But in the same vein it also does not make your motives pure.

No harm, no foul, as you will. My only point is that shouldn't be a point to show how not out of touch she is.

Which I guess I should now clarify... being out of touch doesn't make you a bad person either. It just shows you may have more to learn and who doesn't have more to learn?
    You didn't name the charity so I'm still confused about your initial point. However, I'd wager that Larson (the respectful way to refer to someone you don't know is by their last name) gives A LOT of her own money to charity. Much more than these white dudes boycotting this film.

And they are trying to silence her. They have wilfully and deliberately misinterpreted her comments and thus attempted to cause a boycott of Captain Marvel. There is a major difference between not seeing a film and organising a boycott of film. These misogynists are attempting to silence her because they don't agree with her views. Perhaps you should spend more time trying to convince these people that it is perfectly acceptable for others, especially WOMEN, to have their own opinions.

Again, Larson wasn't being discriminatory... yawn... she was making the point that minorities, especially people of color, aren't given the same opportunities as white men. I would've thought you could understand that.
    From what I can tell no one was organizing the boycott of Brie until after Rotten Tomatoes took down the anticipation meter.

No one actually knows the people boycotting so it's hard to label misogynist but they could be.

For those not seeing it because they think she is sexist and racist, do you feel they should suck it up and pay money to see it anyway?

I also never called her sexist or racist, personally, I'm effectively neutral. I'm also of the opinion that as a wealthy white woman there aren't many that would consider her an under privilege class. I mean she got $5 million dollars not including the coming box office sales for Captain Marvel. Do you truly believe she even cares that a few hundred thousand men and women won't see her film because they think she is racists and/or sexist?
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-28-2019 at 11:04 PM.

people are too dependent on rotten tomatoes.
    The J-man

BANNED

I never said it was bad or implied it to be such. I just stated a fact. The intentions of a move like that is not a pure one. By the company, the actors, or by Brie. A pure jestor is when you gain nothing from doing something nice.

Getting money and/or gaining something doesn't make you a bad/evil person. But in the same vein it also does not make your motives pure.

No harm, no foul, as you will. My only point is that shouldn't be a point to show how not out of touch she is.

Which I guess I should now clarify... being out of touch doesn't make you a bad person either. It just shows you may have more to learn and who doesn't have more to learn?
    So you respect these people organising a boycott of Captain Marvel because you, like them, believe Larson is out of touch?

Fair enough but the money this movie will make is gonna make those charity tickets seem like a drop of water in a bucket. Then she only gets a small cut of that. I have no reason to believe her motives arent Pure. I wouldnt bet my life on it but given the information I just dont see this helping her all that much financially. The real benafit will be the good press the story gets. This movie is just the latest Black Panther and TLJ got attacked as well. Did Boseman or anyone from TLJ make comments that would justify it or make them seem any more out of touch then other people? These people clearly feel like diversity is being shoved in they're face and they dont like it. Similar to people who complain about minorities getting jobs over them simply because they're race. There is a very small chunk of people in America who feel like whites people are the ones really experiencing racism. Now with this toxic masculinity stuff specifically white men. And even I'm not 100% behind some of these issues. Like the fringe ends of Gender politics and Toxic masculinity etc... so I can see how someone who already felt attacked could feel like they are doing the right thing. But I feel like they are the ones who are out of touch. A majority of Americans have no problems with Brie Larson or just dont give a crap. But If all you mean by out of touch is has more to learn. Well then I guess everyone is out of touch

So you respect these people organising a boycott of Captain Marvel because you, like them, believe Larson is out of touch?
    I think that everyone should respect peoples decisions to do what they will with their lives and their money as they please.

If people feel Brie or Captain Marvel is something they want to support. Do so without being judged or bashed.

If people feel Brie messed up and hurt them in some way leading them not to support her, they to should not be judged or bashed.

If you can give a rat's A$# either way...they especially should be left alone.

BANNED

I think that everyone should respect peoples decisions to do what they will with their lives and their money as they please.

If people feel Brie or Captain Marvel is something they want to support. Do so without being judged or bashed.

If people feel Brie messed up and hurt them in some way leading them not to support her, they to should not be judged or bashed.

If you can give a rat's A$# either way...they especially should be left alone.
    And if you feel that organised misogyny is something that should be called out?

Or should we just let the oppressors keep oppressing?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Fair enough but the money this movie will make is gonna make those charity tickets seem like a drop of water in a bucket. Then she only gets a small cut of that. I have no reason to believe her motives arent Pure. I wouldnt bet my life on it but given the information I just dont see this helping her all that much financially. The real benafit will be the good press the story gets. This movie is just the latest Black Panther and TLJ got attacked as well. Did Boseman or anyone from TLJ make comments that would justify it or make them seem any more out of touch then other people? These people clearly feel like diversity is being shoved in they're face and they dont like it. Similar to people who complain about minorities getting jobs over them simply because they're race. There is a very small chunk of people in America who feel like whites people are the ones really experiencing racism. Now with this toxic masculinity stuff specifically white men. And even I'm not 100% behind some of these issues. Like the fringe ends of Gender politics and Toxic masculinity etc... so I can see how someone who already felt attacked could feel like they are doing the right thing. But I feel like they are the ones who are out of touch. A majority of Americans have no problems with Brie Larson or just dont give a crap. But If all you mean by out of touch is has more to learn. Well then I guess everyone is out of touch
    The bold is enough. You like many others haven't considered she is getting anything from it. The press of how generous she will lead to more ticket sales. Ergo more money.

Again not talking about Black Panther. Chadwick never had statement that could be potentially misconstrued so he and his movie doesn't really belong in the discussion.

You keep placing them all the same box as if you know them. You don't. Your not sure who is who. So you can't blanket all of them.

And no everyone is not out of touch. Everyone has there own personal struggle or at times misunderstandings. I think in the present situation that Brie is simply a Rich white woman spouting things, her rich friends are saying, without the proper in depth education on the matter. Which would explained why it was handled the way it was. Now admittedly I don't know Brie so I could be wrong that is just what I personally gather on the situation.

When thinking about this I often thought about how Gal Gadot handled the same situation. She said all the right things and people praised her. Gal was born in Israel, had/has grandparents who were imprisoned in a Auschwitz concentration camp, she worked at Burger King, and served in the Israeli military for two years. She probably knows a little something about a rough life and discrimination.

While Brie on the other hand grew up in California to wealthy chiropractors, was homeschooled, briefly lived in a small apartment with her family, and got her first acting gig at the age of 9. The ball never really stopped moving upward since. Now not to say everyone doesn't have their own individual problems but I don't think its unfair based on everything I have found not to possibly think the woman may be out of touch.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-28-2019 at 11:34 PM.

And if you feel that organised misogyny is something that should be called out?

Or should we just let the oppressors keep oppressing?
    If it is misogyny...sure call it out.

But can you even confirm that all of them are straight white men?

Anyway on that note I'm going to bed.

This is going to circles and as much as I would like middle ground to be met, this ilk isn't having it. Thank you for the discussion and I will see ya around.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-28-2019 at 11:39 PM.