Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    i was just about to suggest Midnight's Edge when I stumbled on your post. That or the Nerderotic channel.

How is she sexist? Don't label people just because they have something different to say
    Aren't all people critical of Captain Marvel sexist trolls? That is what websites defending Captain Marvel claim.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...tten-tomatoes/

I don't get the point of removing "Want to See" before a movie is released. Isn't that "want to see" means? That it gauges interest before the movie is released?

What's to stop all the review-bombers from posting bad reviews once the movie opens? Basically, you'd have to remove audience reviews, too.

Look, when you give people a public platform to express their views, sometimes you're gonna get agendas, but that goes with the territory.

The only change I would make is that people shouldn't be allowed to create multiple accounts. I think that exists on this messageboard as well. But if there really are a few hundred different people out there who hate Captain Marvel because they think it's an SJW film, whether it is or not and whether other people feel they should or should not hate SJW films, then let those few hundred people be heard.

I know it's a bummer that these negative people are organized against Captain Marvel, but ultimately it's posts on a movie messageboard as long as it's not out-and-out violent threats or extremist propaganda. No one's gonna die from this.

The whole thing is completely ridiculous in my opinion. You know most of the people who "don't want to see it" are going to see it, because it leads into Endgame. Just remove the whole want-to-see-it-counter from the site forever because it is wholly irrelevant.
    Live true or lie well.

Extraordinary Member

Eh youtube trolls aside, the marketing for the movie has been horrible. It's like they're marketing it the same way they did the comic which has been a failure. But the want-to see it thing does seem fishy, like the site was attacked or something.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Didn't they do the same for Justice League?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Why are you even allowed to vote on movies that haven't even come out yet? That strikes me as a recipe for disaster. The whole system comes across as being set up to be exploited.
    Assassinate Putin!

It seems like they think there is some sort of competition between Alita and Captain Marvel.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Why are you even allowed to vote on movies that haven't even come out yet? That strikes me as a recipe for disaster. The whole system comes across as being set up to be exploited.
    But it's been set up to be exploited by the big studios. In most cases, that score will be near 100%, because the only people that bother to vote on what movies they're interested in seeing will be the fans. So then the studio can point to that number and crow about all the excitement for their upcoming movie.

Every movie, sight unseen, is in the same boat. The anticipation score is simply a measure of fandom and the hype for a movie. As a metric it's about as valid as anything else on Rotten Tomatoes.

Perhaps the movie studios are scared that, now that the fans see they can affect perception through this one measure, it will be exploited for other movies. But then, if it's really trolls, all that trolls want to do is create chaos. The media has confused trolls with fans. Trolls just want to upset the apple cart and don't have a serious interest in which movies win or lose. Fans are obsessed (either positively or negatively) with specific properties.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Because of the targeted attack to bomb the Want to See percentage on Captain Marvel. Hell, I think they should go all the way and remove audience reviews too.
    Exactly. How many times must people explain this?
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    But it's been set up to be exploited by the big studios. In most cases, that score will be near 100%, because the only people that bother to vote on what movies they're interested in seeing will be the fans. So then the studio can point to that number and crow about all the excitement for their upcoming movie.

Every movie, sight unseen, is in the same boat. The anticipation score is simply a measure of fandom and the hype for a movie. As a metric it's about as valid as anything else on Rotten Tomatoes.

Perhaps the movie studios are scared that, now that the fans see they can affect perception through this one measure, it will be exploited for other movies. But then, if it's really trolls, all that trolls want to do is create chaos. The media has confused trolls with fans. Trolls just want to upset the apple cart and don't have a serious interest in which movies win or lose. Fans are obsessed (either positively or negatively) with specific properties.
    I would probably think more trolls in this case since there is an outside factor that has nothing to do with the movie itself.

That said, I don't think this stuff has a lot of impact beyond an insular group. Or, putting it another way, it backfires as much as it works, causing one group to see the movie when they might not have.

I might have waited for Netflix but all this nonsense caused me to watch the trailers and get more interested in the movie.
    Power with Girl is better.

Rotten Tomatoes made the right decision. If people are going to abuse something and use it to hurt people, it shouldn't be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    It seems like they think there is some sort of competition between Alita and Captain Marvel.
    Oh, yeah. As someone who was looking forward to both (and like Alita), it's extremely annoying.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Didn't they do the same for Justice League?
    TLJ and Black Panther were the first two with the coordinated review bombs by trolls.

This is the first time they started doing it before the movie was even out. The trolling is escalating.

Justice League wasn't targeted by fans. Fans bitched afterwards that critics were targeting DC as a whole when the RT score was delayed (by WB) and released late (to avoid the box office crash)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Rotten Tomatoes made the right decision. If people are going to abuse something and use it to hurt people, it shouldn't be there.

Oh, yeah. As someone who was looking forward to both (and like Alita), it's extremely annoying.
    I've never read any Manga so I know absolute nothing about Alita. If it gets good reviews I'll probably see it, but it has barely registered on my radar.

But I can't imagine the people that made this are super excited that their movie is being co-opted for use as an "anti-feminist" alternative.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I mean one of the most egregious examples of people targeting the user reviews of a film is Gotti. Gotti was panned by critics, but had a surprisingly solid audience review. Gotti even used this in the marketing, creating a critics vs. fan narrative. One of the film critics I follow actually looked into it and found that most of the user reviews were from mostly from accounts that had only been created within that week and had only reviewed Gotti.

Personally, I don't really look at the audience score anyways... for the most part I trust the critics aggregate. I disagree sometimes. Like with Glass this year, but between the aggregate and knowing what the movie is about, I can generally make an informed decision of whether it's worth seeing something. The audience review doesn't really do anything for me, because it's so easy to manipulate. And even if it's genuine, there's nothing I can do to find consistency of opinion with the general audience. Ultimately, I find filmmaking to be a conversation and good film critics are the facilitators of that conversation. Most average moviegoers are not interested in that conversation and that's fine, but it kind of renders audience reviews worthless for me.

Retired

The problem for me is that, while I tend to be left of centre, on any given day I will agree with people all over the spectrum. Yet I'm being made to feel like I can't be open to those opinions for fear of being labeled a sexist troll, a racist or an SJW.

I just found out that, because I liked GREEN BOOK, I'm an out-of-touch racist and now I find out that, because I don't want to see another movie, I'm a sexist troll who needs to be silenced.

It's this kind of posturing that makes average folks feel exasperated and misunderstood and they either drop out completely or they run to the extreme. There's no place left for people who want to hear all sides.

It's like the social network is set up to create polarization and exclusion.