Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I don't believe that you guys are going to convince me that their not a hate group. By enlarge their actions, how they present themselves, and the lengths they will go to contradicts them being a cause for true justice.

There are people on the internet right now that refer's to themselves as SJW's. It's in their headers/tittles or even in their usernames. I'm sure you have seen them, there would be no reason for me to make this up. I'm not even sure forum guidelines would allow me to post them up since it would be similar to doxing....

Also, just because you believe in good things does not make you not a hate group. All that it takes to be a hate group is this :

All of which I have seen by enlarge by people who fall into that group have done. To be honest with you it's starting to be almost a boarder-line cult. I've been finding cases where people have literally been ostracized from the group. It's quite weird really.
    Actually, the Republicans started the term "Social Justice Warrior" as a reference to Democrats as in "Democrats have become Social Justice Warriors. They don't care about the common working man anymore". Many people have taken the term on as a positive that it is a positive to care about social justice.

And yes of course there are people who use it to vent and accuse all who disagree of being bigots.
    Power with Girl is better.

The thing about that is....Justice

justice noun
    jus·​tice | \ ˈjə-stəs \
    Definition of justice
    1 : the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments
    meting out justice

2a : the quality of being just, impartial, or fair
    questioned the justice of the their decision
    b(1) : the principle or ideal of just dealing or right action
    (2) : conformity to this principle or ideal : RIGHTEOUSNESS
    the justice of their cause
    c : the quality of conforming to law
    3 : conformity to truth, fact, or reason : CORRECTNESS
    admitted that there was much justice in these observations
    — T. L. Peacock
    doesn't need a adjective. Making their claim for wanting equality and inclusivity weakened just by the added term.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Ya'll being ridiculous now.

At this point you're just arguing over semantics. Social Justice Warrior is such a broad term that can applied to any number of people for any number of reasons. Going on about whether thy are good/bad or a hate group or whatever is really pointless as their is no objective way to categorize such loosely applied term.

Technically, many of the people who speaking out against Brie Larson are doing so, in order to stand against what they perceive to be racism and sexism. In this context they are also Social Justice Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Ya'll being ridiculous now.

At this point you're just arguing over semantics. Social Justice Warrior is such a broad term that can applied to any number of people for any number of reasons. Going on about whether thy are good/bad or a hate group or whatever is really pointless as their is no objective way to categorize such loosely applied term.

Technically, many of the people who speaking out against Brie Larson are doing so, in order to stand against what they perceive to be racism and sexism. In this context they are also Social Justice Warriors.
    I actually think the bold may be the trap...they want you to think "they" want good things. And that everyone is just like them. However, when you get into the "club" a group of them might go "Oh, well you believe this? How dare you that is awful" so that person they are speaking with, who is genuinely a good person, naturally falls to the peer pressure overtime until the become fully indoctrinated into the cult/hate group. Tactics similar to this have been used before where people "drink the kool-aid" under the guise of being on the right side of things. But hate is hate. If you are a person who pushes belittling, segregating, silencing, or attacking a group of people who are different than you in group think...well congratulations you are now apart of a hate group.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I think you might have missed the point I was trying get across.

Anyway back to Brie and Captain Marvel...not sure if this is normal practice but people are reporting you can't order tickets for other movies March 8th but Captain Marvel on fandango

This Youtuber is planning to see it anyways btw.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 03-03-2019 at 07:47 AM.

These people are grossly misinformed and spreading that misinformation. More popular movies are scheduled in far advance and put on more screens as per deals with distributors. They have be on certain amount of screens at certain times due to deals negotiated. In this system newer movies take priority. You should see other movies on the schedule sometime during the middle of the week.

The thing about that is....Justice

doesn't need a adjective. Making their claim for wanting equality and inclusivity weakened just by the added term.
    Gotta agree with Drega that now you're just being ridiculous. So now you are apparently saying that seeing a social injustice and trying to correct it is inherently unjust. So, basically, a woman saying that women are underrepresented and making sure women get more opportunities is unjust because it takes away some male privilege.

At this point, you're just going into semantics.

If we were talking specifically about SJW versus Comicsgate, I would say the difference is there is no such thing as an SJW organization with an agenda. They are usually just people who get labeled SJW by other people for a pro-equality stance. Comicsgate is an actual organization with a very specific racist and sexist agenda.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 03-03-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Gotta agree with Drega that now you're just being ridiculous. So now you are apparently saying that seeing a social injustice and trying to correct it is inherently unjust. So, basically, a woman saying that women are underrepresented and making sure women get more opportunities is unjust because it takes away some male privilege.

At this point, you're just going into semantics.
    No I'm saying if a "woman saying that women are underrepresented and making sure women get more opportunities" and then follows it up with X(race, religion, sex, & whatever) is evil or some other cruel hateful thing then they are hypocrite and are probably in or involved with the hate group.

If we were talking specifically about SJW versus Comicsgate, I would say the difference is there is no such thing as an SJW organization with an agenda. They are usually just people who get labeled SJW by other people for a pro-equality stance. Comicsgate is an actual organization with a very specific racist and sexist agenda.
    Eh they both seem rather disorganized at the moment. There are figure heads on both sides that they each individually rally under though. Which I guess then makes them organized.... There is for sure an air of continuity amongst them so their is organization under both sides. Just no official leader in place.

No I'm saying if a "woman saying that women are underrepresented and making sure women get more opportunities" and then follows it up with X(race, religion, sex, & whatever) is evil or some other cruel hateful thing then they are hypocrite and are probably in or involved with the hate group.
    Where did Larson say all white men were evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Where did Larson say all white men were evil?
    I didn't say that she did. I'm responding to other comments about SJW's and Comicsgate. There hate groups. Check the last couple of pages for more explanation.

I didn't say that she did. I'm responding to other comments about SJW's and Comicsgate. There hate groups. Check the last couple of pages for more explanation.
    In my experience, "SJWs" are a pejorative used by conservatives to describe anyone liberal. People who use such terms can best be described as (insert expletive that would get me banned).

But it's very important for conservatives to be able to claim "both sides" even when it isn't the least bit true.

Put it another way. Liberals elected Barack Obama. Conservatives elected Donald Trump.

Eh they both seem rather disorganized at the moment. There are figure heads on both sides that they each individually rally under though. Which I guess then makes them organized.... There is for sure an air of continuity amongst them so their is organization under both sides. Just no official leader in place.
    I would agree with the first paragraph. In Larson's case, I don't think she said or intended to say that any race/ gender was evil. She just did not word what she said very well.

I'm reminded of what Jerry Seinfeld said when he was asked why his show had such low ratings among black people. He had this incredulous look on his face and then said he imagined it was the same reason "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" had low ratings among Jewish people, because people are more interested in their culture and what they relate to. In other words, he never even implied it was bigotry, just what people's life experiences cause them to relate to.

No, he did not say, "I don't care what black people think". He just answered the question. In response to, "Why do you think your movie is not all that popular among white males?", she might have just said, "Well, why aren't romantic comedies big among white males? Why aren't action movies more popular among women? This is a movie made for girls and specifically black girls. People watch what they relate to."

But, no, she worded it poorly. But it just seems people can't stop at that even when they read over and over that what she was presented to have said isn't really what she said. So I naturally think there is more to it than what she really said. It's just an excuse for people to vent about everything they think is wrong with the world and I mean both sides, not just one.

I don't believe that you guys are going to convince me that their not a hate group...
    Got it. You're deliberately ignorant. Okay. Done talking to you. Go on and live in your ignorance.

If you ever want to break out of your ignorance, you can go learn what a hate group is here, and NO, individuals do not qualify as a hate group:

https://www.splcenter.org/20171004/f...s#hate%20group

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

When did Larson say any particular group is evil? I don't recall that in any of the articles I saw on this "controversy". A few years back there was a movement called the "sad puppies" who were trying to undermine the Hugo awards. Their initial complaints were that the winners of the award were just getting them because they had diversity in them and not based on the quality of the stories themselves. Well, as it turned out they actually were Nazis. As in self identified Nazis. That's not taking them out of context. This was actually discovered to be an organized movement of racists trying to purge science fiction of any stories about anyone other than white guys. I don't believe that the people behind this stupid "comicsgate" are sincere about anything. I think they are mostly just bigots trying to purge the hobby of anyone not like themselves. Is the guy who writes Iceman focusing too much on relationships instead of stories? Maybe. Am I going to listen to someone who thinks that any gay characters in comics are one too many? No. And that's the point. There's a difference between saying someone like Riri Williams shouldn't take over the main Iron Man book and saying she shouldn't even exist at all. Guess who makes up the bulk of these "comicsgate" idiots?

"SJW" is not a real thing. It's a fake term bigots made up to apply to anyone who identifies as liberal no matter what they do. I'd call it an insult but at this point it's used so much it doesn't mean anything anyway. I'm not even insulted by it at this point. By falling for the "both sides are equally bad" fallacy, you're falling into the trap that including more diverse characters is just as bad as not having any(???). The people behind
    "comicsgate" (and I put it in quotes because it's not a real movement) just don't want anyone other than white guys reading comics. That's it. it has nothing to do with the quality of stories. The fact that you have people on here putting words in Larson's mouth she never said speaks for itself. People who have facts on their side don't need to do that.
    Assassinate Putin!