Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    In my experience, "SJWs" are a pejorative used by conservatives to describe anyone liberal. People who use such terms can best be described as (insert expletive that would get me banned).

But it's very important for conservatives to be able to claim "both sides" even when it isn't the least bit true.

Put it another way. Liberals elected Barack Obama. Conservatives elected Donald Trump.
    The first part I already went over in another post. It also usually takes people from both parties to get a President elected. Can't just say only X vote for Y in a situation like that.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The first part I already went over in another post. It also usually takes people from both parties to get a President elected. Can't just say only X vote for Y in a situation like that.
    That this was your response really just kinda says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I would agree with the first paragraph. In Larson's case, I don't think she said or intended to say that any race/ gender was evil. She just did not word what she said very well.

I'm reminded of what Jerry Seinfeld said when he was asked why his show had such low ratings among black people. He had this incredulous look on his face and then said he imagined it was the same reason "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" had low ratings among Jewish people, because people are more interested in their culture and what they relate to. In other words, he never even implied it was bigotry, just what people's life experiences cause them to relate to.

No, he did not say, "I don't care what black people think". He just answered the question. In response to, "Why do you think your movie is not all that popular among white males?", she might have just said, "Well, why aren't romantic comedies big among white males? Why aren't action movies more popular among women? This is a movie made for girls and specifically black girls. People watch what they relate to."

But, no, she worded it poorly. But it just seems people can't stop at that even when they read over and over that what she was presented to have said isn't really what she said. So I naturally think there is more to it than what she really said. It's just an excuse for people to vent about everything they think is wrong with the world and I mean both sides, not just one.
    I actually think this too. If you go a few pages back I said I thought her statement was born purely out of not fully knowing or understanding what she was talking about. Along with some elitism with how she grew up. I also said it didn't make her an evil person(until proven otherwise) .
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

You honestly believe that no conservative voted for Obama and no liberal voted for Trump?

It really does, doesn't it?

You honestly believe that no conservative voted for Obama and no liberal voted for Trump?
    I think it is very important to be able to say "both sides." As long as you can say one liberal voted for Trump, and one conservative voted for Obama, you can claim "both sides."

So according to

"Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups - Revised"
    By Janja Lalich, Ph.D. & Michael D. Langone, Ph.D.

One fo the things on the checklist is:

-The most loyal members (true believers) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group or group think. They believe there is no other way to be, and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group or group think.
    Seems they may have a point....
    I think it is very important to be able to say "both sides." As long as you can say one liberal voted for Trump, and one conservative voted for Obama, you can claim "both sides."
    Not sure what you are trying to say here. To clear up what I'm saying ...For the President in the USA to be elected it would usually take more than the votes of his party to be elected. He would have to have votes from both sides to gain a majority vote.

That is just how voting works in general btw....
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 03-03-2019 at 09:20 AM.

I actually think this too. If you go a few pages back I said I thought her statement was born purely out of not fully knowing or understanding what she was talking about. Along with some elitism with how she grew up. I also said it didn't make her an evil person(until proven otherwise) .
    There may be some elitist attitude in that she has, to my knowledge, spent her entire life since childhood as a Hollywood star and doesn't have much firsthand experience of the society of the average person. Granted you could say that about many celebrities but someone who was a child start and never lost their star status is another matter. It doesn't seem to apply to Alyssa Milano though I'm sure there are those who would just assume it does because of her connection to #MeToo. But when you've been raped- twice- it's a very understandable cause.
    Power with Girl is better.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. To clear up what I'm saying ...For the President in the USA to be elected it would usually take more than the votes of his party to be elected. He would have to have votes from both sides to gain a majority vote.

I'll let you in on something. This typically isn't how anyone frames their arguments, except for people trying really damn hard to say "both sides."

(And this doesn't just apply to voting. This applies to things like Larson's comments and the reactions that followed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    There may be some elitist attitude in that she has, to my knowledge, spent her entire life since childhood as a Hollywood star and doesn't have much firsthand experience of the society of the average person. Granted you could say that about many celebrities but someone who was a child start and never lost their star status is another matter. It doesn't seem to apply to Alyssa Milano though I'm sure there are those who would just assume it does because of her connection to #MeToo. But when you've been raped- twice- it's a very understandable cause.
    I said some of this in early threads.

But the actions/upbringing/ whatever does not align with anyone else. Brie made the comments and whatever influences she had took her to those conclusions. Right. Wrong. Indifferent. It is what it is, ya know?
    I'll let you in on something. This typically isn't how anyone frames their arguments, except for people trying really damn hard to say "both sides."

(And this doesn't just apply to voting. This applies to things like Larson's comments and the reactions that followed.)
    Are you saying that I'm not neutral now? It's hard to tell.

If so that would be another Characterization in:

"Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups - Revised"
    By Janja Lalich, Ph.D. & Michael D. Langone, Ph.D.
    The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 03-03-2019 at 09:27 AM.

No, not that's not how it works at all. There are not just two sides. This kind of thinking is exactly why everything is such a mess right now.
    Live true or lie well.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    No, not that's not how it works at all. There are not just two sides. This kind of thinking is exactly why everything is such a mess right now.
    Well yeah there are more parties but all in all some liberals/conservatives had to have voted for Trump or Obama when they were running. It's just how it works

Well yeah there are more parties but all in all some liberals/conservatives had to have voted for Trump or Obama when they were running. It's just how it works
    Actually, you'll find that there are so many moderates/unaffiliateds that a conservative can win without a single liberal vote and vice versa.
    Live true or lie well.

Riiiiight.....you keep thinking that neither side is capable of independent thought and would never vote outside of their party.

Riiiiight.....you keep thinking that neither side is capable of independent thought and would never vote outside of their party.
    If you'd read what I wrote you would conclude no such thing.

"Actually, you'll find that there are so many moderates/unaffiliateds that a conservative can win without a single liberal vote and vice versa."
    Live true or lie well.