Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The press is the one who drove people to Rotten Tomatoes in the first place. I said it at least 10 times in this thread....it was only at 6 pages of comments when the press came out with the articles. 3 of the pages where from 2018. The whole thing was manufactured and gives me little reason to believe them in this instance.

But if you want to lay that as your claim to why they should be believed.....all you need to do is google why people do not want to see the movie and you will find a large group who is against it pretty much all for reasons that wouldn't be deemed as trolling.

Come March 8th will be the real test to see how much of it was fabricated or not. I mean the press claimed left in right how well Solo was doing pre-box office and praising it all the way until the release date and it turned out that the numbers were exaggerated. The movie didn't recover what it made on it's marketing efforts. For the sake of the fans of the character they can hope that won't be the case but at the same time it must be said that the press is the last source to believe about films.
    Solo got tepid reviews, it wasn't lambasted but it certainly wasn't praised. I recall one outlet saying it was tracking to open to over $100 million but falling quite short.

Solo was a very, very, VERY troubled production. It's quite different than what's happening with Captain Marvel.

The press is the one who drove people to Rotten Tomatoes in the first place. I said it at least 10 times in this thread....it was only at 6 pages of comments when the press came out with the articles. 3 of the pages where from 2018. The whole thing was manufactured and gives me little reason to believe them in this instance.

But if you want to lay that as your claim to why they should be believed.....all you need to do is google why people do not want to see the movie and you will find a large group who is against it pretty much all for reasons that wouldn't be deemed as trolling.

Come March 8th will be the real test to see how much of it was fabricated or not. I mean the press claimed left in right how well Solo was doing pre-box office and praising it all the way until the release date and it turned out that the numbers were exaggerated. The movie didn't recover what it made on it's marketing efforts. For the sake of the fans of the character they can hope that won't be the case but at the same time it must be said that the press is the last source to believe about films.
    So you are just denying everything? That's your line. You are abandoning the pretence of neutrality and "just want to understand" and just deciding this is all lies? Frankly that's just as offensive.

People post horrible things that are reported internationally, many of whom directly quote what they read themselves and you call them lies?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Solo got tepid reviews, it wasn't lambasted but it certainly wasn't praised. I recall one outlet saying it was tracking to open to over $100 million but falling quite short.

Solo was a very, very, VERY troubled production. It's quite different than what's happening with Captain Marvel.
    From what I recall the projections for Solo started out as high as Captain Marvel and began to drop closer to the film release, just like Captain Marvel. I also remember most of the press praising the film before it was even released.

By the numbers the situation isn't different. The only thing really different about it is the controversy created by the lead actor. That difference is what is separating the fanbase from the press projections.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Ultimate Member

From what I recall the projections for Solo started out as high as Captain Marvel and began to drop closer to the film release, just like Captain Marvel. I also remember most of the press praising the film before it was even released.

By the numbers the situation isn't different. The only thing really different about it is the controversy created by the lead actor. That difference is what is separating the fanbase from the press projections.

Solo had around 60 something per cent on RT before its release. And i remember outlets like Collider and IGN being extremely luke warm about it (their reviews are still up on their sites). Some hardcore Star Wars fans liked it (like Campea and Schmoes) but by and large, it wasn't praised. That being said, we can't make a direct comparison to CM because we don't know what CM's critical reception will be like (we've only gotten screening reactions).

Solo was a mess because of a change in directors very,very late in its production schedule. That's what even drove up the cost to the around $300 million, it was an abnormal production.

According to boxofficepro.com, Captain Marvel is still tracking to open at $160 million,https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range...ecord-opening/ it hasn't dropped (the link includes the tracking for other movies). Different outlets are just giving different figures based on their data, we will get Disney's official tracking closer to release. I don't think Captain Marvel will open to $160 million (that'll be monstrously high for an origin story for a hero not introduced in a previous Marvel movie) but it should get to over $100 million, anything less than that and it will have to have very good legs.

That being said, box office tracking isn't an exact science, it's based on a combination of social media activity and pre-sales. Forbes magazine pointed this out a couple of years ago when Civil War (?) came out far below tracking but people are treating it like an exact science, it really isn't, that's why a substantial number of movies rarely open to around tracking numbers (lots of times its higher or lower).
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-05-2019 at 07:09 AM.

Solo had around 60 something per cent on RT before its release. And i remember outlets like Collider and IGN being extremely luke warm about it (their reviews are still up on their sites). Some hardcore Star Wars fans liked it (like Campea and Schmoes) but by and large, it wasn't praised. That being said, we can't make a direct comparison to CM because we don't know what CM's critical reception will be like (we've only gotten screening reactions).

Solo was a mess because of a change in directors very,very late in its production schedule. That's what even drove up the cost to the around $300 million, it was an abnormal production.

According to boxofficepro.com, Captain Marvel is still tracking to open at $160 million,https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range...ecord-opening/ it hasn't dropped (the link includes the tracking for other movies). Different outlets are just giving different figures based on their data, we will get Disney's official tracking closer to release. I don't think Captain Marvel will open to $160 million (that'll be monstrously high for an origin story for a hero not introduced in a previous Marvel movie) but it should get to over $100 million, anything less than that and it will have to have very good legs.

That being said, box office tracking isn't an exact science, it's based on a combination of social media activity and pre-sales. Forbes magazine pointed this out a couple of years ago when Civil War (?) came out far below tracking but people are treating it like an exact science, it really isn't, that's why a substantial number of movies rarely open to around tracking numbers (lots of times its higher or lower).
    Solo is also a dreadful comparison because a lot of us were not interested in seeing a prequel, that covered ground we mostly knew about. I can only speak for myself but when the reviews confirmed that there wasn't much more to it and word of mouth from people that liked it confirmed this view, and some friends I trust expressed the view that it felt like two movies cobbled together, I didn't bother seeing it. Still haven't.

Whereas Captain Marvel is a movie deliberately placed between some key MCU movies, starring an Oscar winning actress, portraying a character I enjoy and have personally followed since she was Binary, for which buzz suggests may be one of the most positively audience tested movies to date. We will find out later today what the critics think, but nobody is expecting them to take it to task like they did Solo.

Indeed the reviews have already started to come in.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-05-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Ultimate Member

Yeah..and reviews....aren't excellent so far.

It's been very tepid.

Meh..

Yeah..and reviews....aren't excellent so far.

It's been very tepid.

Meh..
    Depends on the reviews you look at, but was anyone expecting it to be another Black Panther? So far Metacritic doesn't have anything in their negative category, it looks relatively solid for critical reaction to a superhero movie. Most serious critics are non-plussed by superhero origins. To gauge if I will like a movie I usually check to see if they criticise the themes explored by the movie, and the reviews that have taken the time to do that are the most positive.

Edit: by the time I hit submit there was one negative but a slew of more positive reviews too. Let's give it until it opens to see how it pans out.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-05-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Depends on the reviews you look at, but was anyone expecting it to be another Black Panther? So far Metacritic doesn't have anything in their negative category, it looks relatively solid for critical reaction to a superhero movie. Most serious critics are non-plussed by superhero origins. To gauge if I will like a movie I usually check to see if they criticise the themes explored by the movie, and the reviews that have taken the time to do that are the most positive.

Edit: by the time I hit submit there was one negative but a slew of more positive reviews too. Let's give it until it opens to see how it pans out.
    Yeah, you're right.

I jumped the gun a little.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Depends on the reviews you look at, but was anyone expecting it to be another Black Panther?
    Black Panther didn't even deserve to be Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Black Panther didn't even deserve to be Black Panther.
    Black Panther was my favourite movie of 2018 so I obviously disagree.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Your just wrong on this one. The reviews for Solo were all pretty mixed right from the get go with none of them really praising the film. They were mixed at best.

Solo is probably the most underrated movie of 2018. It was good... not GREAT but an enjoyable movie. What really hurt Solo was that it was UNFAIRLY being put down because of Last Jedi not because of it's own merits. And more it was going up against both Infinity War and Deadpool. It Captain Marvel is anywhere near Solo quality most will walk away happy.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

160M opening weekend & 450M domestic in the long run? Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Your just wrong on this one. The reviews for Solo were all pretty mixed right from the get go with none of them really praising the film. They were mixed at best.
    Before the film there were press praising it. In fact most were. Have 0 reason to make that up. After solo is another story
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

Before the film there were press praising it. In fact most were. Have 0 reason to make that up. After solo is another story
    Before the film there were press stories about what a dumpster fire the production of the movie was, with many predicting the movie would be unsuccessful.