- 83% fresh
    - 17% rotten
    - 67% fresh, top critic
    - 33% rotten, top critic

66 Metacritic, Green
    - 62% positive
    - 36% mixed
    - 2% negative

I find RT's top critic aggregate and Metacritic to give you the best idea and they are both in alignment. The early reviews say it's another solid MCU film.

I find FANDANGO of all places the best for audience scores because you had to have had a verified purchases to review a film. The next best is Meta because they poll an audience AFTER they watched the movie.

This blind review stuff has always been suspect.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Before the film there were press praising it. In fact most were. Have 0 reason to make that up. After solo is another story
    The press for Solo was pretty bad before the film release, there was almost no go news about what was going on behind the scenes.

It is only when the first teaser trailer came out, that the press and youtube critics started to given the film any positive responses by the time the film came out the reviews were mixed by the professional critics, it was mainly people on youtube and boards like this that actually had a positive response to the film.

What most people thought was that Solo was going to do well at the box office because it was a Star Wars film

Gwad, I swear the ppl on this forum can be so abhorrent to the truth, its incredible.

"Got out of #SoloAStarWarsStory and I’m completely floored. This movie seriously holds up! I was on the edge of my seat and had so much fun watching it! Interviewing the stars of the film tomorrow, cannot wait ❣️"
    "#SoloAStarWarsStory is reaaaaalllly good. Fun as hell. It’s a straight intergalactic heist movie, kind of refreshing to see a Star Wars movie w/o a Death Star or the rebellion’s fate at stake. Alden Ehrenreich is super impressive as Han, but L3 might be my favorite new character."
    https://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...ns-1202806823/

"‘Solo’ Could Break $139M Stateside Memorial Day Opening Record; Global Conquest Eyes $305M+" https://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-...nd-1202395995/

"Solo: A Star Wars Story' On Track For Record $160M-$170M Debut"- https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#582bfb937468

"Box Office Preview: ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ to Blast Off to Huge Holiday Weekend"- https://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...ew-1202818890/
    Like I said the early box office/early news was similar to Captain Marvel. And there was plenty more articles like.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 03-05-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

So one review is an overall positive reaction? WTF? Those other three articles are about tracking numbers not how good the movie is or isn't. They were talking about going by past Star Wars films this is how much we are prediciting it will make opening weekend. There is nothing about tracking numbers that reflect quality.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Black Panther was my favourite movie of 2018 so I obviously disagree.
    Can folks get over what Black Panther has done???

Too many petty and bitter folks mad a film got some awards and nominations.

Funny Aquaman doesn't have to justify anything. I guess only blacks folks who don't do black misery movies have to.

And no one should expect this movie to do what Panther did.

However how much of this male whining is going to help that box office and screw over that other film a certain group is trying to use as a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    So one review is an overall positive reaction? WTF? Those other three articles are about tracking numbers not how good the movie is or isn't. They were talking about going by past Star Wars films this is how much we are prediciting it will make opening weekend. There is nothing about tracking numbers that reflect quality.
    This was my original post on it.

Come March 8th will be the real test to see how much of it was fabricated or not. I mean the press claimed left in right how well Solo was doing pre-box office and praising it all the way until the release date and it turned out that the numbers were exaggerated. The movie didn't recover what it made on it's marketing efforts. For the sake of the fans of the character they can hope that won't be the case but at the same time it must be said that the press is the last source to believe about films.
    I'm not going out my way to pull up articles I know that exist over something so dumb. Especially, when I'm not even predicting that Captain Marvel will under perform. All I'm saying is that we will have to wait and see come March 8th.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

https://www.newsarama.com/44182-capt...inity-war.html

Fandango, the ultimate digital network for all things movies, is reporting that “Captain Marvel” is currently its biggest advance ticket seller since “Avengers: Infinity War” at the same point in the sales cycle. Opening in theaters this Friday, the newest installment to the Marvel Cinematic Universe is pacing to surpass Fandango presales for any other movie since the release of “Infinity War” in April 2018.
    https://www.newsarama.com/43919-capt...g-weekend.html

Updaed March 5, 2019: Captain Marvel is now projected for a $350 million opening weekend globally, according to Deadline. That breaks down to $200m internationally and $150m in North America - a 50% increase over projections from the Hollywood trade 20 days ago.

A $350m opening weekend would put the Marvel Studios' film over other recent hits such as Wonder Woman ($228.3m), Deadpool 2 ($300.4m), and Ant-Man & the Wasp ($161m) but behind other recent Marvel hits such as Black Panther ($371.4m) and Avengers: Infinity War ($630m).

What is actually going on this this thread? It is just one rhetorical stance after another. Defending bigotry is not ok. Making up conspiracy theories about Disney is not a defence for that bigotry. Denying the bigotry existed when it was reported on openly and we have actually read those comments is not ok. Continually shifting the debate to obfuscate the issue is not OK. The thread title is about a well documented incident, backed up by respected and independent news sources far removed from the US media companies, and yet any attempt to discuss it for what it actually is, is continually getting twisted and obfuscated.

This has nothing to do with Solo, nothing to do with projected takings of the movie. This is about an online company not wanting to be the story but realising their website was yet again in the media spotlight in major newspapers and media websites around the world. Somehow that is still being argued about despite the clear and unambiguous narrative that was forming even before RT made their move.

Unfortunately, Captain Marvel has become a target. It is no longer just a movie.

Gwad, I swear the ppl on this forum can be so abhorrent to the truth, its incredible.

Like I said the early box office/early news was similar to Captain Marvel. And there was plenty more articles like.
    So a Star Wars movie was tracking well but then flopped after word of mouth got out it was cluster F everyone who kept up with the production drama guessed it'd be? https://www.google.com/search?q=you+...JZwTOaCMGBGPOM

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    So a Star Wars movie was tracking well but then flopped after word of mouth got out it was cluster F everyone who kept up with the production drama guessed it'd be? https://www.google.com/search?q=you+...JZwTOaCMGBGPOM
    Exactly.

Solo was a very messy production and people were already apprehensive because of the creative changes. Almost all the press around Solo was negative from the script writer saying he hated the original cut to rumors that Lord/Miller made the movie “Ace Ventura in space” to Kathleen Kennedy having issues with Lord/Miller’s direction (which ended up being true) to the Solo actor himself going for acting lessons (also true). It was so bad with Solo that the first trailer for the movie came out a few months to its release.

Tracking might have been high but word of mouth and reviews didn’t help the movie at all. A more apt comparison to Solo would be Justice League as it went through similar creative shifts which blew up the budget and led to both movies getting received poorly.

Captain Marvel on the other hand is getting good reviews and looks to perform very well. Apart from the fact they were both produced by Disney, Solo and Captain Marvel are coming out in very different circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    So you agree with my initial statement that the Press is the last source to believe about films. At least until they come out that is.

Question how big do you think the Captain Marvel Controversy is? Do you think it's something the general audience is even aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Question how big do you think the Captain Marvel Controversy is? Do you think it's something the general audience is even aware of?
    They are but they are more like "Those people are whacked" and they go see the movie and enjoy

So you agree with my initial statement that the Press is the last source to believe about films. At least until they come out that is.
    No I believe a Star Wars film was going to track well and of course the press would cover it but bad word of mouth sank the film once released.