Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Kind of peculiar that RT is suddenly experiencing so many problems with their website that just so happens to coincide with the negative reviews that Captain Marvel is getting. It's a site that has been around for years.
    Did they fire most of their staff and replace them with interns?
    Ironically one of the Youtubers who will allude to "Disney Conspiracy" own live stream from last night supports RT's statement starts at 2:19. He clicks on to see the reviews since the audience score is up and to his confusion all he sees is the old Audience Interest Comments.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Kind of peculiar that RT is suddenly experiencing so many problems with their website that just so happens to coincide with the negative reviews that Captain Marvel is getting. It's a site that has been around for years.
    Did they fire most of their staff and replace them with interns?
    Must've outsourced all their tech support to a foreign country like Disneyland. You know what those third world dictatorships are like, can't say anything bad about the Mouse and his friends, that'd automatically register as a glitch in Disney's software.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The very existence of the Internet created a world where everyone can express their opinion on everything. RT just created a specific site where everyone had a bigger audience to hear their views when it comes to movies or politics for that matter. The sad thing is that it's more relevant for smaller movies where people might waffle on whether to see it and a bunch of good or bad reviews might make the difference. Fortunately, people seldom care enough one way or the other about small movies to even bother troll bombing them. In fact, doing it might even create a "Married with Children" situation and cause a movie somebody wouldn't even know existed to gain attention.
    Big movies are just the same as little ones, they can fail from bad word of mouth. The studios have always known this but they conceded they couldn't control websites like Rotten Tomatoes from doing their thing. It's only now after the whole TLJ fiasco that Disney became scared, that organised opposition expressed through user drive platforms like Rotten Tomatoes could actually threaten the company's bottom line. Disney has been doing damage control ever since, the rhetoric surrounding Captain Marvel is just an extension of the same arguments and astroturfing used to defined TLJ. Too early to say how this will impact Captain Marvel at the box office, the week 2 drop will be the first serious indicator if something has gone wrong for Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Cinemascore is and always has been the only one to trust because they actually do the score in person and make sure people actually saw the film.
    Cinemascore has limitations too. For example, it only covers wide releases... which honestly smaller movies probably will never get review bombed anyways and I've noticed that Cinemascore can also have issue if the movie is controversial and you're asking a movie goer to make a split decision right there. Hereditary being one that comes to mind. Not actually one of my favorites last year, but it likely got a D+ because the people they were polling were people expecting horror, but got a family drama. The cinemascore did not reflect the quality of the movie, but the fact that their expectations were toyed with.

Frankly anything that ranks a movie in letter or number grades is more or less useless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Cinemascore has limitations too. For example, it only covers wide releases... which honestly smaller movies probably will never get review bombed anyways and I've noticed that Cinemascore can also have issue if the movie is controversial and you're asking a movie goer to make a split decision right there. Hereditary being one that comes to mind. Not actually one of my favorites last year, but it likely got a D+ because the people they were polling were people expecting horror, but got a family drama. The cinemascore did not reflect the quality of the movie, but the fact that their expectations were toyed with.

Frankly anything that ranks a movie in letter or number grades is more or less useless to me.
    None are perfect but Cinemascore at least knows the reviewer really saw the film now personally I have a handful of critics who opinions I know and I line up with usually so I go them not RT or any aggregate site if looking for an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    None are perfect but Cinemascore at least knows the reviewer really saw the film now personally I have a handful of critics who opinions I know and I line up with usually so I go them not RT or any aggregate site if looking for an opinion.
    Yep that's the way I go. Christy Lemire and Dan Murrell are my two go tos. I don't always agree with them, but their reviews are often in depth (without spoilers) enough so that I can decide whether or not I'll like the film.

BANNED

So, basically, most of the fan reviews of CM are people who have never ever reviewed any other movie on RT?

This is just going to be another Last Jedi or Black Panther with a hundred people making twenty youtube videos each and the same people who hang out on Kevin Sorbo's Facebook page or wear certain red caps made in China posting remarks on the videos proclaiming that this proves it's "divisive". Meanwhile, it makes a billion dollars but that doesn't prove anybody actually liked it.
    Well Yeah, just because I go and see a movie in theatres doesn't mean I liked it. The same is true for the opposite btw, if I don't go and see a movie that doesn't mean I hated it (Yes, people do make this argument regularly).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

funny how the Captain Marvel audience percentage is going up after people have actually seen it. Shot up from 30% tp 54%

looks like Rotten was right about it being targeted
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Well Yeah, just because I go and see a movie in theatres doesn't mean I liked it. The same is true for the opposite btw, if I don't go and see a movie that doesn't mean I hated it (Yes, people do make this argument regularly).
    The thing is that for movies to make the kind of money the MCU and Star Wars movies make, it's not just a matter of people going to see them but people going to see them multiple times which tends to indicate liking them.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I watched the first minute.

"Statements made by..." that are not what she actually said but an interpretation of what she said.

"Feminist themes..." Like what? A woman being the lead character?

"I haven't actually seen the movie myself but going by what other people have said."

Full stop. I tend to like reviews by people who have actually seen the movies they are reviewing. I'm weird that way- and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Where in the age of social media and user generated content, the 'wisdom of the crowds' does matter especially as trust in the legacy media continues to degrade even further. This is why sites like Rotten Tomatoes rose to prominence, individual critics don't matter anymore but the aggregate of the internet's opinion does. Even now after deleting 50,000 reviews the rating of Captain Marvel is still decidedly negative, this is not a fight that Disney can win.
    Remember Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Black Panther? How the trolls pulled the same stunts on them and they went on to become smash hits? No, this is a fight the trolls can't win. (Besides, as noted before, the current audience score for the movie is in the 50s; if we assume that the audience score is indeed an accurate metric, apparently the haters and trolls are a much smaller minority then they believed.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I watched the first minute.

"Statements made by..." that are not what she actually said but an interpretation of what she said.

"Feminist themes..." Like what? A woman being the lead character?

"I haven't actually seen the movie myself but going by what other people have said."

Full stop. I tend to like reviews by people who have actually seen the movies they are reviewing. I'm weird that way- and others.
    It reminds of video I watched about flat earthers. Science is you do a experiment and results is answer. These poor guys kept on doing experiments which told them that earth is round but kept on ignoring it because it is doesn't confirm what they already believe.

That video is the same thing.The guy believed Captain Marvel is going to be bad .Didn't even watch it for himself and is just looking for things to confirm his view even though experiments might say differently if you do them.

The worst about Captian Marvel is that has become a battle ground for opinion. So everyone giving a opinion on it has to give a strong one either it sucks or it is amazing. The funny thing is Captain Marvel is Antman 1 do you here people ever talk about that movie. No because it is just a serviceable solid movie. Nobody thinks it great and nobody thinks it is bad. There is no strong opinion to be had the movie is just meh.

Without politicalize aspects people just move on and never really talk about it again how do I know this because nobody ever talks about the MCU Hulk movie .If it was bad people would use it to trash the MCU,If was great MCU fanboys would parade it around instead it is movie most people forget came after Ironman 1.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Remember Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Black Panther? How the trolls pulled the same stunts on them and they went on to become smash hits? No, this is a fight the trolls can't win. (Besides, as noted before, the current audience score for the movie is in the 50s; if we assume that the audience score is indeed an accurate metric, apparently the haters and trolls are a much smaller minority then they believed.)
    I know that I and several others have already had this conversation with you but it bears repeating again - TLJ marked the collapse of Star Wars as a brand. Sure, the first couple of weeks were okay at the box office but TLJ had a steep drop off, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (released at the same time) stayed in theatres longer. Meanwhile consumer interested in Star Wars merchandise of all kinds vanished, Hasbro actually lost money due to all the unsold Star Wars toys nobody wanted to buy. Then came Solo, the first Star Wars movie to bomb at the box office, as a direct result of the damage that TLJ did to the brand.

So then, the same analysis must be considered in regards to Captain Marvel and what it means for the future of the MCU as a franchise. We've reached a cross roads, the MCU has been running for over a decade now and concerns about the formulaic scripts and lack of creativity remain persistent criticisms. Right now the general audience is still on board for Endgame but they might well treat this movie as a jumping off point. Using Captain Marvel as the focus of the next phase of the MCU is a risky strategy, the critic reviews are mediocre and the world of mouth is toxic at best surrounded by constant controversy. As I said before, the drop in week 2 will be the first indicator as to what kind of future Captain Marvel will have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I know that I and several others have already had this conversation with you but it bears repeating again - TLJ marked the collapse of Star Wars as a brand. Sure, the first couple of weeks were okay at the box office but TLJ had a steep drop off, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (released at the same time) stayed in theatres longer. Meanwhile consumer interested in Star Wars merchandise of all kinds vanished, Hasbro actually lost money due to all the unsold Star Wars toys nobody wanted to buy. Then came Solo, the first Star Wars movie to bomb at the box office, as a direct result of the damage that TLJ did to the brand.

So then, the same analysis must be considered in regards to Captain Marvel and what it means for the future of the MCU as a franchise. We've reached a cross roads, the MCU has been running for over a decade now and concerns about the formulaic scripts and lack of creativity remain persistent criticisms. Right now the general audience is still on board for Endgame but they might well treat this movie as a jumping off point. Using Captain Marvel as the focus of the next phase of the MCU is a risky strategy, the critic reviews are mediocre and the world of mouth is toxic at best surrounded by constant controversy. As I said before, the drop in week 2 will be the first indicator as to what kind of future Captain Marvel will have.
    Yeah but no matter what happened, whether your analysis is correct or not, Star Wars is Star Wars and, to the audience it's all the same.

No matter what happens with Captain Marvel, it's like saying it's over if "Ant-Man" or "The Incredible Hulk" bombs. From most people's point of view, it's just one character and one movie. Even among people who don't like CM, only the biggest extremists are implying the MCU is finished by it. But then again, the extremists said that about Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Spider-Verse and Black Panther is really all the evidence you need the internet outrage machine is incapable of effecting the bottom line of these movies. Other than review bombing, they lack the numbers for a boycott and more importantly they are not the primary audience for these movies.