Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    BANNED

You have to love the tortured logic required to paint the Last Jedi as a failure because Solo bombed at the box office, because even if you take the leap that a bad film turns people away from the sequel, Solo wasn't actually the sequel to the Last Jedi and was a completely different movie in terms of its story and tone. Because apparently people hated SJW politics so much that they boycotted a film about a dashing, cocksure alpha male who flies around the galaxy shooting first and asking questions later, such leftist man-hating drivel....

I mean by that logic, the huge box office numbers that Captain Marvel is pulling in right now are just an indication that Endgame will be a massive flop. Anybody want to stick out their neck to make that prediction now?
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 03-10-2019 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I was able to find a study that says 42% of the The Force Awakens audience was repeat viewings, but I think we can assume that that was at the higher end and likely does not reflect TLJ numbers, which could be something like 30%ish.

Also, I would add, one of the few movies I've seen in theatres twice, Avengers Age of Ultron, is a film I now consider to be bad and I never really cared for it. I operate in different social circles, so I saw it with different people though I seem to recall a lot of reviewers who didn't like the TLJ going to see the movie again to give it another chance. So even seeing a film twice isn't necessarily am indicator they like it.
    You disproved your own theory,What you consider it now wasn't your opinion then and it wasn't bad enough to prevent you from going and see it again.Avengers 2,Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 don't hold up well over multiple critical views BUT they are largely entertaining movies which hold up well enough for people watch them once or twice and enjoy them. Watching it in house dissecting a movie over and over leaves a different taste. A really bad movie you will not go back and see again.In fact you would warn your friends not see the movie.

Seeing a movie multiple times is indication of some level enjoyment. People aren't going to see The Happening, Lady in the Water, Battlefield Earth, Catwoman ,Kazam,and The Room multiple times. People for these topics over hate on movies. Is Age of Ultron bad or average? Different things make movies good being a visual spectacle or great action movie can make people watch movies. Avatar is pure visual candy with an alright story. Avatar objectively is average movie but very few people walk out of that movie the first time(or second time) feeling that way. Certain stuff like jokes and visuals wear off after views then you are just watching Fern Gully with Blue Aliens.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-10-2019 at 03:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Hence my comment that it seems like RT is only doing this because it is a major Disney movie instead of just a TV show on a minor network. It's been going on for years but all of a sudden RT decides to take a stand.
    Again the way it looks to me is this was just finally the straw that broke the camels back over at RT. They were getting so much bad press for how their system was being used by trolls (and make no mistake the ones doing these ratings bombings are trolls) they finally just said enough. It had nothing to do with it being Disney.

Rotten Tomatoes made the right call. If you're in the business of selling data, it has to be good data. You can't afford to get attacked and your data ruined by a bunch of bitter, misogynist nerds. I hope IMDb and Metacritic take nkre.

Anyway, results are in. Marvel has a big hit, one of their biggest -- $153 million domestic. The audience is trending more female than most of their flicks too, though skewing a bit older. I think the MCU doesn't need the concern trolling and clearly doesn't need support from #comicsgate-style misogynists. Details:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4493&p=.htm
    Last edited by Brian B; 03-10-2019 at 08:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Rotten Tomatoes made the right call. If you're in the business of selling data, it has to be good data. You can't afford to get attacked by a bunch of bitter, misogynist nerds.

Anyway, results are in. Marvel has a big hit, one of their biggest -- $153 million domestic. The audience is trending more female than most of their flicks too, though skewing a bit older. I think the MCU doesn't need the concern trolling and clearly doesn't need the #comicsgate-style misogynists' support. Details:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4493&p=.htm
    One thing concerning the age of the audience that's interesting to note is that the MCU has been going for nearly 11 years now. I'm 35, and was only part of the "under 25 crowd" that seems ever-important for a short time (maybe 1 movie? I haven't purposely figured out the timing of it all), but there are plenty of people that were under 25 and are now older that are probably still watching these movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    One thing concerning the age of the audience that's interesting to note is that the MCU has been going for nearly 11 years now. I'm 35, and was only part of the "under 25 crowd" that seems ever-important for a short time (maybe 1 movie? I haven't purposely figured out the timing of it all), but there are plenty of people that were under 25 and are now older that are probably still watching these movies.
    This is basically the problem I was talking about earlier, Captain Marvel's audience is skewing older and that's going to have an impact long-term. If anything this suggests that the hardcore MCU fans, who stuck with the franchise since the beginning, will be on board all the way to Endgame. The young generations... not so much. Kids and teenagers aren't going for the MCU the way that people did 10 years ago. Maybe it's a generational thing, when kids want a franchise of their own to rally around and that can't be Marvel. For now there isn't any obvious replacement for the MCU but should a new rival emerge then kids will latch onto it over whatever Disney has planned in phase 4.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    This is basically the problem I was talking about earlier, Captain Marvel's audience is skewing older and that's going to have an impact long-term. If anything this suggests that the hardcore MCU fans, who stuck with the franchise since the beginning, will be on board all the way to Endgame. The young generations... not so much. Kids and teenagers aren't going for the MCU the way that people did 10 years ago. Maybe it's a generational thing, when kids want a franchise of their own to rally around and that can't be Marvel. For now there isn't any obvious replacement for the MCU but should a new rival emerge then kids will latch onto it over whatever Disney has planned in phase 4.
    It's not a "problem" if the movies are still making bank. I was commenting on the fixation with the under-25 crowd. Keep your doom and gloom to yourself till this becomes the norm, because otherwise you're just clinging onto stuff to justify your bias.

BANNED

It's not a "problem" if the movies are still making bank. I was commenting on the fixation with the under-25 crowd. Keep your doom and gloom to yourself till this becomes the norm, because otherwise you're just clinging onto stuff to justify your bias.
    The only way to avoid problems in the future is to talk about them now. But I understand your position, nobody likes being told that their world is ending. I say enjoy it while you can, 2019 is probably going to be recorded as peak Marvel, in more ways than one.

BANNED

The only way to avoid problems in the future is to talk about them now. But I understand your position, nobody likes being told that their world is ending. I say enjoy it while you can, 2019 is probably going to be recorded as peak Marvel, in more ways than one.
    $150m opening weekend.

Yes, "my world is ending". LOL

Honey, in the Sylvia Plath sense of the world, everybody is dying anyway.

That's "If" there are actually problems coming in the future.

From what I can tell, the problem was supposedly that Larson saying something that had an incredibly slight chance of being antagonistic was going to hurt the film's haul.

Heck, some folks were talking about how it would be enough on a disaster that it would hobble the entire MCU.

From the looks of things so far? That is not what happened.

That being the case, it's kind of hard to take another doomsday scenario all that seriously.

BANNED

$150m opening weekend.

Yes, "my world is ending". LOL
    Hollywood is a fickle business, the success of the MCU is unprecedented but that's no reason to believe the brand is invincible. If the younger generation rejects the MCU outright, as is already starting to happen, then that's it - nothing Disney can do about it. In 10 years’ time the notion of a MCU movie making 150m opening week might seem a fevered dream in comparison.

Honey, in the Sylvia Plath sense of the world, everybody is dying anyway.
    Yeah, 'memento mori' I get that. But that's no reason to be reckless when a recognisable problem emerges. After all, some of us get to play the game longer than others:

Last edited by Kintor; 03-10-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Hollywood is a fickle business, the success of the MCU is unprecedented but that's no reason to believe the brand is invincible. If the younger generation rejects the MCU outright, as is already starting to happen, then that's it - nothing Disney can do about it. In 10 years’ time the notion of a MCU movie making 150m opening week might seem a fevered dream in comparison.
    What's In Blue - It's the ability to walk out of every situation where naysayers are predicting the entire universes' downfall with, at the very least, a solid profit that is the reason to believe.

What's In Green - That one feels about like "These toxic things that Larson is saying will cripple the profitability of the entire MCU."

BANNED

Yo, can you provide some solid evidence for this claim? We have data for 4 days from one country for one film... and you're saying the next generation is already outright rejecting Marvel movies. Um, what?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Yo, can you provide some solid evidence for this claim? We have data for 4 days from one country for one film... and you're saying the next generation is already outright rejecting Marvel movies. Um, what?
    Look at the text you highlighted, I said 'already starting ', a perfectly reasonable assessment based on the available data. If left uncorrected this trend, with the younger generation moving away from Marvel, could mean the end of the MCU as a franchise. In other words, my point from earlier is that Captain Marvel failed in it's purpose to attract a younger audience.

Nobody is saying the brand is invincible but what you don't seem to get there is a long way between amazingly popular and failure. Using walking dead as example it is clearly not as popular as it was before but it is still very popular. Marvel not being as popular as whatever endgame will be is not the end of the world. All signs point to it still being very popular. Everyone knows that this amazing popularity will end some time that is obvious.You seem to think that Marvel is going drop into a blackhole and be swallowed. Oh nos Marvel movies instead of making billions will make 800 million.

We are not seeing the younger generation reject marvel in fact it is opposite we are see Marvel expanding beyond its normal base to African Americans and now to Women. You are going to see Marvel make a push to embrace the Latino and Asian populations. Marvel is expanding beyond White Male age 18-32 base. I don't know how anyone can be predicting the end right when brand new property in Captain Marvel made around 450 million in its first week. The fact that Marvel is successful now introducing new franchises/IP is amazing.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-11-2019 at 01:13 AM.